+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: looking for a techweek or trustable divecenter where you are welcome alone

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

looking for a techweek or trustable divecenter where you are welcome alone

I apologize if this sounds rude, but I always question requests like this.

Quote Originally Posted by taliena  View Original Post
    What I want: deep wrecks 90m and deeper. At least 2 dives over 100m.

Why? Why do you want to specify depth? What is it you hope to accomplish?

Sure, there are some great wrecks at those depths. Which ones do you want to see? Doesn't it make more sense to decide what you want to see because it interests you, and then look at the depth? Would you rather dive on an abandoned barge at 100m than an interesting warship at 60m just because of the depth?

Requests like yours always remind me of how I feel when people ask me "what's the deepest you've been?" Or "how deep do you dive?" My answer has always been "as deep as I need to see what I want to see." I'm never going to set any world record, and diving to a "personal best" strikes me as foolhardy. If there's something interesting at depth, count me in. But I'm not going to choose my destination just by depth.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit & bits

inspo classic

Re: looking for a techweek or trustable divecenter where you are welcome alone

Quote Originally Posted by Alby scubakitmarket  View Original Post
    hi mike

do you have any info on sardinia we are thinking about doing a trip there next year

alby
    did some diving in Northern sardinia last year around Alghero whilst on holiday, just playing about in shallow sea caves. dive centre wise it wasn't a great choice and the ones I spoke to were more set up for taking tourists out for shallow bimbles. the diving was OK but not spectacular. The deep techie diving seems to be concentrated at the southern end.

expensive place to holiday though, I couldn't believe how much money we went through in a fortnight.

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I apologize if this sounds rude, but I always question requests like this.

Why? Why do you want to specify depth? What is it you hope to accomplish?

Sure, there are some great wrecks at those depths. Which ones do you want to see? Doesn't it make more sense to decide what you want to see because it interests you, and then look at the depth? Would you rather dive on an abandoned barge at 100m than an interesting warship at 60m just because of the depth?

Requests like yours always remind me of how I feel when people ask me "what's the deepest you've been?" Or "how deep do you dive?" My answer has always been "as deep as I need to see what I want to see." I'm never going to set any world record, and diving to a "personal best" strikes me as foolhardy. If there's something interesting at depth, count me in. But I'm not going to choose my destination just by depth.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    And then you get an answer: You can ask the question. But you don't know me, so don't put people in a box if you don't know people. But yes, I like deep dives and choose destination on depth. It is not different from choosing a 5 star hotel that must have a big pool or say that you want blue paint on your house. So it is not strange if you say what you want. I cannot do such dives here, I can only spent my money once, so for me I spent my money on deep dives. I decided now to go only on holiday if I can do real techdives. The reason why I asked it here so direct is becuase I have had too much divecenters that promise things and don't do it. And then I bought an expensive flight to them and cannot do the dives they promised to me because I came alone and on groups they earn more money, so it is easier to bring a whole group to 50m instead of organising a 120m dive. I had this with techcenters and with reccenters (they shorten dives from 60 minutes to 45 because of a lot of divers and no discount but they took of 25% of your divetime). So I decided not to go again on holiday if I cannot do at least some 100m dives or deeper. And if there is an interesting site at 60m, that is ok too, but not only 60 or 80m dives. Joining a real expedition is one of my wishes too. But I am not famous in the divingworld, I am not rich, so I try to do at least some of the dives I want to do. And I do it serious, not a daredevil. I am not a bad diver, but I am a person who says there is always something to learn. And if others asks me for some advice, they get it if I can help them. So, then it is better to say what you want in diving and maybe get some questions like yours :D And then I can answer. And ask other questions to you too, depth is not the only thing I expect from a divecenter. Gases and things like decostation I want to know too. I don't want to do a 100m dive with a 10/50 because that is only they have in stock. For a 100m dive I want to choose my own gas (and that is with 60% helium or more, because I had an experience of narcoses on a 105m dive and a 50% helium, I realised it myself, and only thought I must go away from here, a soon as possible, so that was no so nice, I could think, but I did not feel comfortable there. So suggestions for a gas ok, but if a customer wants another gas, that must be possible too). So an answer from a divecenter as a not possible or a maybe, then I won't come. Then I know that I will be dissapointed by not doing the dives I like and I don't want that again. I hope to meet new people too then with same interests.

I got some nice ideas for a holiday, thanks. Got a nice idea for Asia (deep caves) too, but that is too expensive now. Then I must not go this year, but next year.
    Last edited by taliena; 10th July 2014 at 08:07.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Sounds like DiveTech in Grand Cayman fits your bill. Divetech.com

Maybe I will see you there during Focus Underwater :) If not, good luck on your search and please post what you found and how it worked out for you.

Thanks a bunch,

Claudia

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Technical Diving in Portofino and Wrecks of Liguria - Italy - Portofino Divers

Have a look at this set up..although the haven only 82m max depth but also not far to travel...you can go overland..I was planning a trip there this September but then I got other tec commitments here in Aqaba in that month.

Rod

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Indepth water sports on Grand Cayman - run by Nat - great guy - great boat - got some fantastic rebreather dives in when on my own over there - recommended someone else I met on a dive boat in the UK and he also raved about the week he had with Nat.

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

Kaycher seems to have gone. Yes, the center is still there, but they offer totally different programms (for a 1000 euro only 5 dives (45-75m) in 5 days, so really expensive, not deep enough for what I want). They had a nice week in september with some 100+ wrecks, but cancelled sadly.
    Last edited by taliena; 13th November 2014 at 13:50.

Tomas Davidsson tompaspain is an unknown quantity at this point tompaspain's Avatar
    JJ

Classic Kiss

Yes, unfortunately Stuart passed away this spring so they had to re arrange things.
    You also have Rivermar down in cabo de palos.
    Basically same area but a bit mor south.
    http://rivemar.com/
    Sergi the owner speaks english perfectly and some of the other people to.

Tomas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2