+ Reply to Thread

Thread: calibrating a new dump valve

Wink calibrating a new dump valve

Hi all,

I have a new apeks valve and I serviced my old valve changing the membrane.
    How I can calibrate both?
    Is it something I can do by myself?

Thanks

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Re: calibrating a new dump valve

pretty much by trial an error by manipulating the spring .....

Quote Originally Posted by udtabn  View Original Post
    pretty much by trial an error by manipulating the spring .....
    Ok, I was taught the same.
    But once I find a fair dump position, is there a way to measure the valve dump pressure? Is there any consensus on a given pressure?
    I saw that RB80 valves come pre-calibrated from factory. Which value do they use?

Thank you in advance

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver  View Original Post
    Ok, I was taught the same.
    But once I find a fair dump position, is there a way to measure the valve dump pressure? Is there any consensus on a given pressure?
    I saw that RB80 valves come pre-calibrated from factory. Which value do they use?

Thank you in advance
    its done in psi......but you would need to go at least 2 decimal points like 2.34 psi kind of thing and with out a pressure cylinder to do it in (specially built ) i cant see how you could do it ,like the factory

RBW Member laphiloche is an unknown quantity at this point laphiloche's Avatar
    edo 04

On my edo 04 , mine si close tout 2/3.
    If the valve is to soft, you can increase your gas consumption.
    If the valve is to hard, you can increase the wob.
    The dump ratio is fixed by the ratio between the inner counter lung and the outer counter lung. So the deep for the gas utilisation don't change if you change the dump valve.

Quote Originally Posted by laphiloche  View Original Post
    On my edo 04 , mine si close tout 2/3.
    If the valve is to soft, you can increase your gas consumption.
    If the valve is to hard, you can increase the wob.
    The dump ratio is fixed by the ratio between the inner counter lung and the outer counter lung. So the deep for the gas utilisation don't change if you change the dump valve.
    Thank you for your reply guys but please do not misunderstand me: I know perfectly how it works

I'm just trying to understand the mojo behind valve calibration:

If my valve is perfectly calibrated is there a way to measure the real calibration pressure So I can set other valves at the same value without using the common trial & error method?
    Every valve is completely different.

E.g. Rb80 valves come calibrated and fixed from factory. Udtabn told that I would need a special tool. Ok.

PS
    I remember that some years ago I saw mini test tool to test drysuit valves...

Bye

RBW Member dolfin is an unknown quantity at this point dolfin's Avatar
    NT1 pscr/dcccr

Satori mCCR (sold)

i was taught that the valve needs approx 10mbar resistance. you can also do it in psi and use the value indicated below by the other user here...

If you think a little bit on how to measure this, you could take a plastic tube and mount a pressure meter that indicates mbars or the psi you need, then connect it to the valve with some inner tube and blow like a flute... you should read 10mbar on the gauge when the valve starts to dump.

it's a very "brico" idea but it could work.

Mine is also calibrated by trial and error by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver  View Original Post
    Thank you for your reply guys but please do not misunderstand me: I know perfectly how it works

I'm just trying to understand the mojo behind valve calibration:

If my valve is perfectly calibrated is there a way to measure the real calibration pressure So I can set other valves at the same value without using the common trial & error method?
    Every valve is completely different.

E.g. Rb80 valves come calibrated and fixed from factory. Udtabn told that I would need a special tool. Ok.

PS
    I remember that some years ago I saw mini test tool to test drysuit valves...

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by dolfin  View Original Post
    i was taught that the valve needs approx 10mbar resistance. you can also do it in psi and use the value indicated below by the other user here...

If you think a little bit on how to measure this, you could take a plastic tube and mount a pressure meter that indicates mbars or the psi you need, then connect it to the valve with some inner tube and blow like a flute... you should read 10mbar on the gauge when the valve starts to dump.
    I'm beginning to build such DIY tool with a Magnhelix pressure gauge I found around ;)

Are you sure it was 10mbar?
    2,34 psi are 0,16 bar hence 160mbar.

My magnehelix arrive to 5mbar I need another one...

+ Reply to Thread