+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello... with a unique technical question!

RBW Member CephBirk is an unknown quantity at this point CephBirk's Avatar

Hello... with a unique technical question!

Hello all,

I am actually not a rebreather diver (yet!) but I have a question that I expect only people on this forum would be able to answer! I am a scientist at the University of Rhode Island studying the effects of anticipated climate change conditions on squids. As part of my research, I need to remove CO2 from atmospheric air.

If I use a CO2 absorber like this (Grace SodaSorb Carbon Dioxide Absorbents - 4-8 Mesh - Indicating SODA-SORB-HP) how slowly do I need to flow air through these granules in order to get all the CO2 out? I'm thinking about putting the granules in this column: https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/page5.cfm
    to give you an idea of how the air will be flowing. The air flowing in is normal atmospheric air (~380 ppm CO2) and I need all the CO2 removed before coming out (well at least down to something like 10 ppm or less).
    I'd like to scrub CO2 out of air quickly, but I have no good idea of what kind of gas flow rate ballpark I should be expecting...

If anyone has a ballpark estimate, I would appreciate it greatly!

RBW Member ntokyo is an unknown quantity at this point ntokyo's Avatar
    Copis Hammer Mini

rEvo II mCCR

Re: Hello... with a unique technical question!

Quote Originally Posted by CephBirk  View Original Post
    Hello all,

I am actually not a rebreather diver (yet!) but I have a question that I expect only people on this forum would be able to answer! I am a scientist at the University of Rhode Island studying the effects of anticipated climate change conditions on squids. As part of my research, I need to remove CO2 from atmospheric air.

If I use a CO2 absorber like this (Grace SodaSorb Carbon Dioxide Absorbents - 4-8 Mesh - Indicating SODA-SORB-HP) how slowly do I need to flow air through these granules in order to get all the CO2 out? I'm thinking about putting the granules in this column: https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/page5.cfm
    to give you an idea of how the air will be flowing. The air flowing in is normal atmospheric air (~380 ppm CO2) and I need all the CO2 removed before coming out (well at least down to something like 10 ppm or less).
    I'd like to scrub CO2 out of air quickly, but I have no good idea of what kind of gas flow rate ballpark I should be expecting...

If anyone has a ballpark estimate, I would appreciate it greatly!
    Efficiency of absorbant will depends on different parameters such as temperature, "freshness" of the absorbant (changing over time), volume of absorbant, etc... Difficult to estimate. Usually test on rebreathers are made at 40l/minutes, which is roughly double of a diver's breathing speed.
    Not a scientific answer, but getting a CO2 analyser may help to get the speed right.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Contact Dr Simon Mitchell on this site

He's an anasthesealogist (SP) and our go to expert on such things.

ATB

Mark

Wanna Dive Gonna Dive Alby scubakitmarket will become famous soon enough Alby scubakitmarket will become famous soon enough Alby scubakitmarket will become famous soon enough Alby scubakitmarket will become famous soon enough Alby scubakitmarket's Avatar
    Dive Can JJ

APD Classic, Vision Anolog JJ

not sure if this is just a troll, but surely there is a difference between atmospheric air and breathed air, so asking r b divers to try and explain it, is a bit much from a scientist, unless like mark says he speaks to someone like simon or alex (he he, can of worms)

alby

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by Alby scubakitmarket  View Original Post
    not sure if this is just a troll, but surely there is a difference between atmospheric air and breathed air, so asking r b divers to try and explain it, is a bit much from a scientist, unless like mark says he speaks to someone like simon or alex (he he, can of worms)

alby
    Id ask Simon ,

unless you like reading shit loads of pdf.s full of bullshit , ( he he can closed )

that other guy could not even calibrate his own breather when he was diving,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 19th June 2014 at 10:16.

+ Reply to Thread