+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hollis BOV issue

Pucks & sharks! hroark2112 is an unknown quantity at this point hroark2112's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit LTE

Kiss Sport, DiveRite O2ptima

Hollis BOV issue

On the inside of my Hollis BOV is a screw that holds the lever that switches between the rebreather loop and the OC regulator. As I started my first dive yesterday, everything was fine. The unit held the positive & negative checks during the pre-dive checklist on the boat and held negative from 8PM Saturday until 8AM Sunday when I filled the scrubbers. A few minutes into the dive after I reached 90', I switched from the loop to bailout. Just as a drill....keep the skills sharp. When I switched back to the loop, bubbles started coming out of the lever and water started entering the BOV. I switched back to bailout and ended the dive. When I got to the boat I found the screw on the back of the lever had come loose. With the limited tools on the boat 40 miles off the NC coast, I was able to snug it up enough to do a full pre-dive (no more leaks) and then my second dive. I was enjoying that first dive, the wreck was covered in fish and several stingrays...bummer!! Since it's behind the mushroom valve, it's not something we normally put a wrench on, since it's a real pain to get to!

Here's the screw:

Ideally, if someone at Hollis knows the right tool to use to get to this screw, I'd love to know what it is & get my hands on one. It might be a good idea to take this screw out, put on a drop of LocTite to keep it from backing out.

If you dive with a Hollis BOV, please get this screw checked out!

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Re: Hollis BOV issue

Quote Originally Posted by hroark2112  View Original Post
    Since it's behind the mushroom valve, it's not something we normally put a wrench on, since it's a real pain to get to!

Here's the screw:

Ideally, if someone at Hollis knows the right tool to use to get to this screw, I'd love to know what it is & get my hands on one. It might be a good idea to take this screw out, put on a drop of LocTite to keep it from backing out.

If you dive with a Hollis BOV, please get this screw checked out!
    You can pop out the mushroom valve holder from the opposite side using a pencil with eraser (use the eraser end) or something long enough to go through the BOV that will not scratch the mushroom valve holder. Push on the edges of the holder, not the middle so you don't crack the "spokes".
    Once the holder is out, use an allen key to snug the bolt down.
    If you want to use Loc-Tite, use the blue variant that will hold the bolt in place but will not be as aggressive as the red loc-tite.
    Lastly, looking at the pictures it seems someone has been using a pliers on the spokes of the holder to pry it out. That can crack the holder, mar the surface leaving jagged edges. Better to use the method I described above.
    Last edited by saveourseas; 13th June 2014 at 04:00.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

Pucks & sharks! hroark2112 is an unknown quantity at this point hroark2112's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit LTE

I can't get the holder out with the lever still in place. I must be missing something

Kiss Spirit LTE

You know, maybe if I read what you wrote I'd have gotten it.

I just downloaded the manual for the BOV. It has pictures, which apparently are what I needed.

Thank you!!! My apologies for doubting your expertise

RBW Member divebuddy is an unknown quantity at this point divebuddy's Avatar

hi guys

i want to know wich regulator is on the BOV. Why, because here in Nederland we have colder water and i need some spare parts like the mushroom.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT

+ Reply to Thread