+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TekDive 2014

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

TekDive 2014

Hey everyone,

Just a quick note to say that if you missed TekDive 2014, you missed an excellent show.

I was really impressed with how well it was all put together (thanks to Roz and the Thornton's) - the panels and speakers were outstanding (I particularly loved Phil Short's description of the cave work he did with Bill Stone in Mexico, as well as Simon Mitchell's talk on how to handle an unconscious diver underwater).

There were some of the most notable rebreather divers in the world in attendance, as well as most of the manufacturers out there, and the vibe around the place was enormously positive.

I was honored to sit on the panel of Manufacturers during a discussion of the evolution not only of our industry, but also Safety Systems - lots of outstanding input from Leon, Martin, Paul and Bruce (no, there were no fistfights that broke out, much to the disappointment of some in attendance... ). It was the first time we all sat together in a public forum and spoke not only about how we all got our start in this industry, but how we each view design of our safety systems. Lots of opinions, but also a surprising amount of consensus among us.

IMG_4260.jpg

Also, at the beginning of the show, Hell Froze Over, and me and Don Six had a really great discussion about rebreathers, the current state of their designs, and what each of us feel the industry should do to make them safer and more reliable. Don is a great guy, as I have been told by others over the years, and it was nice to talk to him. ((My Ninja's missed their connecting flight in Phoenix, so weren't there to knife him in the back while I distracted him, unfortunately, so another opportunity missed....)).

IMG_4257.jpg

I was able to hang with my best pal's Mark Nix and Ted Green, and really enjoyed the Gala Dinner, which was more like being at the Oscar's or Grammy's, no doubt due to Randy's experience from the entertainment business - a very classy event - no rubber-chicken meals here!

IMG_4258.jpg

Overall, a fantastic show. 2016 should be an even better event, and I really hope everyone who can puts it on their calendar.

To those of you who were there, it was great to see you, and thank you for all the kind words - funny how many people were wishing me well on my "retirement" - not sure whether that's because they think I sold the business to Randy (I did not - he's our Distributor), or maybe just some wishful thinking....

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Re: TekDive 2014

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Hey everyone,

Just a quick note to say that if you missed TekDive 2014, you missed an excellent show.

I was really impressed with how well it was all put together (thanks to Roz and the Thornton's) - the panels and speakers were outstanding (I particularly loved Phil Short's description of the cave work he did with Bill Stone in Mexico, as well as Simon Mitchell's talk on how to handle an unconscious diver underwater).

There were some of the most notable rebreather divers in the world in attendance, as well as most of the manufacturers out there, and the vibe around the place was enormously positive.

I was honored to sit on the panel of Manufacturers during a discussion of the evolution not only of our industry, but also Safety Systems - lots of outstanding input from Leon, Martin, Paul and Bruce (no, there were no fistfights that broke out, much to the disappointment of some in attendance... ). It was the first time we all sat together in a public forum and spoke not only about how we all got our start in this industry, but how we each view design of our safety systems. Lots of opinions, but also a surprising amount of consensus among us.

Attachment 34160

Also, at the beginning of the show, Hell Froze Over, and me and Don Six had a really great discussion about rebreathers, the current state of their designs, and what each of us feel the industry should do to make them safer and more reliable. Don is a great guy, as I have been told by others over the years, and it was nice to talk to him. ((My Ninja's missed their connecting flight in Phoenix, so weren't there to knife him in the back while I distracted him, unfortunately, so another opportunity missed....)).

Attachment 34161

I was able to hang with my best pal's Mark Nix and Ted Green, and really enjoyed the Gala Dinner, which was more like being at the Oscar's or Grammy's, no doubt due to Randy's experience from the entertainment business - a very classy event - no rubber-chicken meals here!

Attachment 34162

Overall, a fantastic show. 2016 should be an even better event, and I really hope everyone who can puts it on their calendar.

To those of you who were there, it was great to see you, and thank you for all the kind words - funny how many people were wishing me well on my "retirement" - not sure whether that's because they think I sold the business to Randy (I did not - he's our Distributor), or maybe just some wishful thinking....

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Yeah but did you get Don's autograph? (I did)

I'll be sure to mark 2016 down on my calendar to attend and hopefully i'll have updated my 'internet diver' status to 'real diver' status.

Would have loved to see the debate on rebreather function as well as some of the cave exploration projects go on.

Garth

RBW Member AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point AQUANOMAD's Avatar
    rEvo FT

Inspiration, Evolution

Re: TekDive 2014

Garth. Im gonna come out and say it. You gotta take the noob of the year award. Your posts never cease to amaze me. You taunt the man who birthed your prized possession (and ehem, by that I mean free breather) with the autograph of the man you have been epimped to. Better hope Don doesn't trade you to Mel C. Aka scubagrunt for a hot fill of 10/60 or your ass will be in serious trouble. You better make it to the 2016 show. I need to verify you are for real. Im going for sure. Maybe you'll be a "real diver" by then
    Last edited by AQUANOMAD; 21st May 2014 at 10:15.