+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shipping a Unit to Thailand

RBW Member Hippokampoi is an unknown quantity at this point Hippokampoi's Avatar
    AP Inspiration Vision

Shipping a Unit to Thailand

Hi all,
    I am looking at purchasing an AP Inspiration Rebreather later on this year.
    I would like to ship the unit to Thailand once I have purchased in the UK as this is where I will doing the majority of my diving.
    Does anyone have any experience with shipping Rebreathers around the world? e.g. what taxes are involved specifically from UK to Thailand and how best to transport it? Could it fit in my luggage if I didn't take tanks or is it best to organise another method of transport?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Shipping a Unit to Thailand

Can't speak to the Thai import side of it, but in Australia we pay no UK tax for stuff imported here.

So you can drop the VAT (15%?) off the prices quoted, unless they are already marked "plus VAT".

Shipping will most likely be around the £150 mark.

Of more concern will be the reluctance of AP or sellers of secondhand units to ship to someone who doesn't have a certification to dive them or to an instructor. Something to bear in mind if you don't already have a MOD-1.

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

From what my friends who live there tell me, importing into Thailand can be very expensive. If you knew someone next door in Malaysia, I hear diving equipment is duty and tax free possibly. Well worth an Air Asia ticket

Dave

RBW Member Hippokampoi is an unknown quantity at this point Hippokampoi's Avatar
    AP Inspiration Vision

Thanks for the response, Malaysia sounds like a good idea so i'll look into that Dave. And the info on Australia is useful as i'll be diving there in the future.

I've already got the Mod 1 cert on evolution and have been diving that and the inspo for a while by renting units. I'm going to be doing the Mod 2 in December with a close friend whose also an instructor on the unit. Hence the wish to purchase my own unit now.

The idea's to then leave it in Thailand with his diving centre.
    I'll have a look around at the best ways of getting a unit there and will post in this thread for others to use as a reference.

Cheers
    KB

RBW Member Goferrin99 is an unknown quantity at this point Goferrin99's Avatar
    Nil

Option 1 would be to buy the unit from a Thai instructor, delivered their shop. They should be aware of the best shipping options and be able to advise lead times, costs etc.

If you decide to DIY, I would hand carry on the first trip. 3rd world Customs can be Russian roulette and this way you will be there to talk the unit through any problems. If your other bags are full of dive gear, it will be import tax free as your personal effects for your holiday. Pre paid additional baggage and sports allowances on discount airlines can be vey cheap - I've shipped 80kgs of gear around Asia for about $50 and it arrived at the same time as me, no trips to Customs, no negotiating in a language I don't speak, no "today's Import Duty is whatever I want"...etc etc.

There is always a "maybe" CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT RMS

Inspiration

Get it shipped to a hotel in Kulalumpur or Hong Kong, buy a ticket fly over for one night and pick it up it will be cheaper than import taxes and trust me you don't want to deal with corrupt officials at customs when importing a expensive luxury good into a country like Thailand...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+ Reply to Thread