+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cuda 650 Battery

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Cuda 650 Battery

I am having an issue with my Cuda 650 battery. I took it out for the first time this year and after I got in the water the scooter would only start for a second and then stop over and over. I am assuming that this is a battery issue since it works just fine in the air. I had it stored inside over the winter plugged into the charger as I was told by the factory to do. I am looking for any guidance on how to sort this out or am I just waiting my time and I need a new battery. Thanks

Rob
    Last edited by diverrob; 5th May 2014 at 02:03.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Re: Cuda 650 Battery

The load on the motor in air is very minimal. If I recall correctly it only draws .25 amps when run in air. At top speed my Cuda 900 (liIon) draws up to 28 amp.

Low volt cut out kicks in at 35volt. I think any input below 30 volt will not even turn the motor on at all. So the good news is that your battery must have a resting voltage over 35 volt.

I would put it back on the charger and take note of how long it takes until the green LED turns on.

What you may have to do cycle the battery a few times to bring it back up to capacity.
    To do this you will need some sort of load resistor. I have a 16ohm resistor and it consumes about 2.5 amp drawing about 100 watts of power from the battery. This means it will take 6.5 hours to drain a fully charged 650wh battery pack.
    If you do put a load resistor on your battery pack you MUST observe it all the time and never let it drop below 34 volts. If you do you risk killing the battery. Obviously you will need a volt meter. A watts up meter is very useful for this task. You will require one with Anderson PowerPole 75 connectors on it to match the charger and battery.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

https://www.dive-xtras.com/pages/sup...rgermanual.pdf

Here is a pdf on how the cuda charger works.

Im not a fan of leaving the charger on 24/7 even if it does have a special mode for it. Better to plug it in every 6 weeks or so. Better yet use it more and charge it more.

Some more reading to help you understand your issue. Note the conditioning points raised.

Technical Tips for NiCd and NiMH Battery Pack Users — CamLight Systems

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    The load on the motor in air is very minimal. If I recall correctly it only draws .25 amps when run in air. At top speed my Cuda 900 (liIon) draws up to 28 amp.

Low volt cut out kicks in at 35volt. I think any input below 30 volt will not even turn the motor on at all. So the good news is that your battery must have a resting voltage over 35 volt.

I would put it back on the charger and take note of how long it takes until the green LED turns on.

What you may have to do cycle the battery a few times to bring it back up to capacity.
    To do this you will need some sort of load resistor. I have a 16ohm resistor and it consumes about 2.5 amp drawing about 100 watts of power from the battery. This means it will take 6.5 hours to drain a fully charged 650wh battery pack.
    If you do put a load resistor on your battery pack you MUST observe it all the time and never let it drop below 34 volts. If you do you risk killing the battery. Obviously you will need a volt meter. A watts up meter is very useful for this task. You will require one with Anderson PowerPole 75 connectors on it to match the charger and battery.
    Hey thanks for the info, I have a watts up metre but I don't have a resistor setup to drain the battery. Where would I find one or are they something you build your self?

rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

You can buy them I guess..... or make one up yourself.

The resistors you use must be rated for the job. For example you will need a 100watt rated 16 ohm resistor.... or get 4 x 25 watt rated 16 ohm resistors and wired them in 2p2s configuration... or any other configuration that will get your desired impedance/ loading.

You could also use automotive headlight bulbs. Wire 4 12volt 55 watt bulbs in series and you have a 220 watt load. You will also have a lot of light and heat.
    Maybe 4 MR16 style halogens would be a better option. They come in a variety of power sizes. eg 25w 35w 50w.

more reading.... Testing NiCd and NiMH Batteries

Be aware that your pack is very large in voltage and capacity and many of these discussions may talk about small packs and sometimes incorrectly referring to single cells a "battery"

RBW Member jkhaywood is an unknown quantity at this point jkhaywood's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

MK-16

Quote Originally Posted by diverrob  View Original Post
    I am assuming that this is a battery issue since it works just fine in the air. I had it stored inside over the winter plugged into the charger as I was told by the factory to do.

I had similar issues when I left the battery on the charger for extended periods of time. Now I charge it and when it is full I unplug it. Then I charge it every couple weeks or charge it the night before the dive and no longer have had any problems. I have found this to work better with the 400 and 650 batteries.

Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Ok so I hooked up the watts up metre to it and it has a resting voltage (no charger attached) of 42.92v. Now I just need a way to draw down the thing to 35v and charge it up to full a few times. Hopefully that will work. Thanks for your help so far

Rob

RBW Member Chris_H is an unknown quantity at this point Chris_H's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by diverrob  View Original Post
    Ok so I hooked up the watts up metre to it and it has a resting voltage (no charger attached) of 42.92v. Now I just need a way to draw down the thing to 35v and charge it up to full a few times. Hopefully that will work. Thanks for your help so far

Rob
    It isn't the most convenient, but I've been running my Sierra in a tub of water to cycle the battery. Prop down is less likely to get things really wet...

Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H  View Original Post
    It isn't the most convenient, but I've been running my Sierra in a tub of water to cycle the battery. Prop down is less likely to get things really wet...
    Yea I tried that however it won't work when submerged the battery is too weak to turn against the water. I also have the Xprop on which is extra resistance. I might try putting the plastic variable pitch prop on and feather it to no thrust and then try it in the bathtub. Thanks

Rob

rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Have you tried recharging it at all?

Here are some hi wattage resistors. Be warned than a "50watt" resistor may require heatsinking to get this rating.

Panel / Chassis Mount Resistors Product List | Resistors - Fixed Value | Newark element14 US

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast