+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Dive CAN/ISCAN/CAN Bus - what's the fuss?

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Dive CAN/ISCAN/CAN Bus - what's the fuss?

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen24060  View Original Post
    I think the Shearwater computers are open source.
    Think that's the OSTCs, rather than the Shearwaters.

RBW Member Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060's Avatar
    Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Doole  View Original Post
    Think your instructor should have told you about that. And i know for sure its in the manual that one of the agencies have made. If its a pathfinder you use.
    It really should be in the ISC manual delivered with the unit. They just can't be bothered to produce a manual. My instructor didn't even own a Pathfinder! I have a unit in the teens. They are up well on their way to a hundred units by now. Still no manual. Pathfinder specific info is not included in the IANTD slide show which I did not get to keep a copy of. Even Leon's videos show a Meg instead of a Pathfinder. Amazing difference between Poseidon and ISC. You get a unit manual. There is a service manual. And you get to keep a training manual. Holy cow!

But seriously. When it comes to a potentially life ending "feature" why the hell do they only communicate it through word of mouth? That right there should help people understand that these are just experimental assemblies of parts! If it is experimental, it is simply unacceptable for it to not be open source.

RBW Member Doole is on a distinguished road Doole is on a distinguished road Doole's Avatar
    Pathfinder

Well if you don't have confidence in the product why do you have it ?

RBW Member stephane.martinez is an unknown quantity at this point stephane.martinez's Avatar
    Meg

Hello,
    Thanks for all the info . Now I'm missing what is the difference between CAN and ISCan? Can someone tell the pro and con between the two (not generally for CAN bus).
    Thanks
    Stephane

RBW Member Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060's Avatar
    Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Doole  View Original Post
    Well if you don't have confidence in the product why do you have it ?

I am an experimentalist. I didn't want a unit that would try to lock me out of making necessary changes. This is why I went with the ISC box-o-parts. Still, I was shocked by the lack of manual and problems the out of the box system has. Especially with ISC's adds about "recreational rebreather" and the cult-like status the meg has. Anyway, we need to speak out about these things to counteract the ridiculous advertising and the idea that you can dive one of these things safely without treating it with the right (dis)respect. It might even save someone's life!

RBW Member Doole is on a distinguished road Doole is on a distinguished road Doole's Avatar
    Pathfinder

I dont get why stuff like canbus should be open source.

People die from not turning on oxygen tanks. How do you think it would work out if you let average joes fiddle about with the electronics.

I can agree that the handset turns on easy. But after it happened to me once, i learned to remove the strap from the switches. And i never take of the plugs unless there is a specific reason to.

The thing about saft batteries being hard to find, i really don't get. think they can be bought in just about every diveshop here in Denmark. And for people like me who are lazy, i order 5 at a time from a webshop, who delivers from day to day.

If you want pdf's and paperwork, i think there are other rebreather manufactures that will suit you better.

About the campaign of Recreational rebreather, i do believe that ISC keeps pushing for people being well trained. Even though they only use the rebreather in depths that could be considered as recreational diving.
    Last edited by Doole; 1st June 2014 at 10:30.

RBW Member mstacker is an unknown quantity at this point mstacker's Avatar

I was hoping the implementations of CANbus would not only provide flexibility for adding 'accessories' but also allowing 'accessories' to work together in some manner. As one example, the Shearwater nerd looks really interesting to me. One reservation from my perspective is if you get off the loop for any reason, gas switching on the nerd becomes more difficult or at least added steps. It would be nice if there was a link say between a wrist mounted unit which could change the settings for both itself and the nerd. (It goes without saying, you could argue ignoring the nerd from that point on is the best option. Nevertheless my point is still valid.) I'm betting there are other useful ideas for devices on the same bus collaborating.

One thing I have not seen anyone mention yet, forgive me if I missed it, the internet is a big place (I know, you typed "insert whatever here" and got whatever makes your point), is based on my understanding of CANBus, the bus itself is a single point of failure. What happens if the bus gets cut, no matter how unlikely the occurrence, what would be the impact. Total electronics failure?

Matt

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Doole - Canbus is open source, it's the DiveCAN protocol that sits on top which is closed.

How many people do you know that could put together the electronics for a CAN interface, plus a processor with firmware that could do anything with it? Open source doesn't mean your "lefty loosey" hazard diver can suddenly kill themselves, it means that those with the nouse can add and improve. The same kind of people that would be making home-build electronics anyway.

Or, as Matt says, third party manufacturers looking to add stuff to the loop.

Matt: the idea is that the control electronics lives in the head, the cable run goes to monitoring and setpoint setting hardware. So, if the cable is cut, the setpoint controller built into the head just keeps going using whatever the last setpoint was sent to it from the handset.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4