+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A little gift for the Inspo divers

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

A little gift for the Inspo divers

Some may have seen my thread around in the homebuilds (oops) about the SBOD case I have put together for myself and a few mates.

Realising that I'm not going to get rich making these, that I don't WANT to be making them for a living, and that now I have my own one I don't have any burning great desire to make them for other people, I thought someone might get some benefit from the drawings.

If you're interested, take the drawing to a laser metal cutting place and get them to cut the "cutting" layer and just score/mark the "engraving" layer with the laser.

Then take it to a folding shop. Ask 'em to bend on the bending lines to the marked angles, and tap the appropriate holes. When they fold up the foot get them to bend the braces first, hold it down and drill through the brace feet into the foot part of the plate and then tap the new holes with an M4 tap so you can secure. Where the tank plates attach there are two tabs on the button spring which lock it into place, they need to be bent in opposite directions to form a "V" which locks the back of the plate in place.

If you do it in aluminium bear in mind the foot or spine WILL bend under the weight of the unit over time. I would go the stainless but I like my gear bulletproof.

There are two layers for the bracket, one for the vision and one for the classic. Vision owners will need to drill and tap new holes at the correct height for the bracket to sit just under the lip for the head, sorry I haven't got them there. Those brackets can be exported to STL file if you have a mate with a 3D printer, or you can go to Shapeways and get them to make them for you, or you can do what I did in the prototypes and belt them out of an HDPE kitchen chopping boards with a saw and some sanding time.

M8 bolts for the harness, M6 bolts for holding the bucket brackets, M4 bolts for the foot and you're done.

If you do make one of these up for yourself (or a variation on the theme) I would really appreciate a photo of your final product ready to dive and even during a dive on this thread!
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: A little gift for the Inspo divers

Here's mine and one I did for a mate. The holes at the top of the cover are for mounting any top-weights you need for trim, I just use zip ties.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Starfish; 29th April 2014 at 07:45.

CCR wannabe hippytyre is an unknown quantity at this point hippytyre's Avatar

Thanks, that's very generous of you. I just bought a g box but I would have made this otherwise.

RBW Member ReLiC is an unknown quantity at this point ReLiC's Avatar

Thank you so much Capt. Starfish !!!!

Now just to find someone to cut it :D

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Very impressive! I can't even make a paper airplane symmetrical. I hope others with resources can post up finished products.

RBW Member Selim Baccar is an unknown quantity at this point Selim Baccar's Avatar
    Inspiration vision

great job and thanks for sharing

hi captain
    thanks a lot for your drawing.
    could you post other pictures, without the cover, and closer in order to have clearer view of your idea to how attach the things.
    i'm really interested of your product.
    best regards.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

No worries, the buildup thread has a bit of the journey it took to get to these drawings and a bunch of photos. Hope they make sense.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=47622

Short version? The case re-uses the velcro bucket strap and has also a pair of slots for cam buckles for a cylinder on each side. It also has a set of four slots, one of them with a spring lock arrangement, that accept the little tank plates in the drawing which are hoseclamped to the cylinders.

The back cover is held on by a similar arrangement of four tabs, and locked into place by the tabs with the "buttons" on them. These are bent slightly outwards to act as a ratchet arrangement.

It's all pretty simple and so far has worked very, very well for me.

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Wow, back to the good old days where poeple have a good idea share it. Thats what i love about these forums.
    Thanks captin!
    Regards
    Baz

RBW Member cooki1977n is an unknown quantity at this point cooki1977n's Avatar

Hello,

You have the STL for the bracket?

The map is directly the correct model for a classic?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast