+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Lionfish hunting on a rebreather in Florida

RBW Member LandonL is an unknown quantity at this point LandonL's Avatar
    Evolution

Optima

Re: Lionfish hunting on a rebreather in Florida

I will +1 Barney and Sly-vester as well.

I don't think rebreathers are going to significantly increase the pressure on the resources. When someone wants to go spearfishing they are going to use the tools necessary to get the job done. If I can't go on my rebreather, then I will go OC. The only real way to change the pressure is to change the limits/seasons/species regulations.
    Last edited by LandonL; 23rd October 2014 at 06:49.

tha never no's Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Why is it that no matter what the sphere of activity - I always find something to make me ashamed a my species. Killing our fellow creatures for fun - sport! Hardly we trip over them when we dive reefs and they don't swim away.

We should allow you to hunt each other - evenly match man to man - guess it would soon lose its appeal

Do something great with the only shot at life you have - stop the japs slaughtering whales or something you could look back on in your dotage and feel a sense of pride not shame

RBW Member Seya is an unknown quantity at this point Seya's Avatar

Re: Re: Lionfish hunting on a rebreather in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsleyman  View Original Post
    Why is it that no matter what the sphere of activity - I always find something to make me ashamed a my species. Killing our fellow creatures for fun - sport! Hardly we trip over them when we dive reefs and they don't swim away.

We should allow you to hunt each other - evenly match man to man - guess it would soon lose its appeal

Do something great with the only shot at life you have - stop the japs slaughtering whales or something you could look back on in your dotage and feel a sense of pride not shame
    Killing an invasive species is an honest man's work

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RBW Member pensacoladiver will become famous soon enough pensacoladiver will become famous soon enough pensacoladiver will become famous soon enough pensacoladiver's Avatar
    Revo III

Lionfish hunting on a rebreather in Florida

I hardly consider a lion fish a "fellow" creature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil's Avatar
    Meg ECCR

Re: Re: Lionfish hunting on a rebreather in Florida

I've been a little concerned about the hype surrounding the lionfish scare, and that it might be akin to the Ebola scare in reality - that is; overblown. a quick Google search revealed a lot of information about the so called invasion. lionfish are in fact an invasive species, on that I think we can all agree. But to what extent are they a threat? I found a one page fact sheet issued jointly by NOAA, REEF.org, Simon Fraser University, and the USGS. I won't go into detail here, you can find it yourself and read it. What it does show is that the invasion is real and dangerous. Lionfish were accidentally introduced into US waters off of NC by the aquarium trade in the 80's and they spread south and into the Caribbean quickly. They are voracious predators that can quickly decimate native fish populations including grunts, groupers, and snappers. In dense lionfish populations, they have the capability of consuming up to 460,000 fish per acre per year.
    And they are prolific and fast breeders. Read the fact sheet for more alarming particulars.

This is no media invented Ebola scare, this is real and going on right now. Personally I have adopted a kill on sight policy for them and encourage others to as well. I'll go so far as to say that not killing them is reckless and shows a total disregard for environmental harmony.

Plus, they taste damn good!

Sent from behind a pint of Guinness.

RBW Member LandonL is an unknown quantity at this point LandonL's Avatar
    Evolution

Optima

They are everywhere in the Caribbean now. Within 2-3 years of showing up the population of them has exploded. Between me and two other divers we have killed a small cooler full in a single dive.

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

FWIW:

A document was prepared for inform the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Commissioners of the various issues related to rebreathers and their use for consumptive purposes. After reviewing this document and being briefed on the issue, the Commissioners who originally requested staff to investigate the topic decided they had enough information and did not need to receive a formal presentation on the topic at the upcoming Commission meeting. They also decided that they were not interested in pursuing any changes to the rebreather rule at this time. Thus, staff will not make a presentation on the use of rebreathers at the November Commission meeting, and the issue is not anticipated to be brought before the Commission in the foreseeable future.

Cheers,
    Mike