+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration Classic head rewiring

RBW Member risototh is an unknown quantity at this point risototh's Avatar
    (KT)BOD+AV1c+own computer

YBOD, Ray, rEvo II eCCR

Angry Inspiration Classic head rewiring

Hi all,

i bought an Inspo Classic some time ago and after i have seen the actual state of the SMB connectors to sensors i decided to replace them. I bought new SMBs at Farnell, done the old ones and... Uf, that was not a cable anymore, that was a nightmare. Totally black, not solderable anymore...
    So i looked here to get some informations about what's in the black junction box. I found some mentions about that, but the guy who offered some photos has not responded... Never mind, i'm working (and designing) microelectronics, so what worst can happen, that i can see now

I took it apart, piece by piece with small knife and other tools. I write down all the colors, striped all the cables and then, i desoldered the wires. It was tuff and ugly, i don't know what they used to solder it... So i designed new board and waited a week/two to get them. When it was appart, i disassembled also the rest of the heads (all fittings, solenoid) and cleared them in the ultrasonic bath with the citric acid and some degreaser. All is now shiny like a new :D

Only problem was to get some good coax cable (tined) for the SMBs. I looked at Farnell, but what i have to do with 100 meters? I placed the request to our slovak local electronics engineers forum and one guy posted me old cable from CRT monitor. It's really good and tined cable. I tested it for about a month in wet, salt, little acid conditions and it's still in perfect condition :D Thank you!

Also when it was apart, i installed sensor cable for the Petrel inside the black box as i made new PCB with the proper holes for that

I decided to take some photos, only to show it here (the internet will archive that forever :D) and maybe it will help someone else.

P.S. when it was soldered together, i put the two lines interconnecting the handsets on the scope, only to see, what they choosed for a bus... Uf, I2C... What i have seen was an engineering nightmare. So many crosstalks (between SCL -> SDA, buzzer and both I2C lines), I2C generated by software (the timing has changed in the time)... Take a look at the screenshots... An the "almost soldered" wire from one of the sensors... I don't like the YBOD abbreviation, but now i know...

Cheers,
    Richard
    Attached Images

YBOD, Ray, rEvo II eCCR

Re: Inspiration Classic head rewiring

P.S. if someone want the gerber files (or eagle) of the PCB, drop a line via PM

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

Richard,
    did you put in isolation resistors for the Predator cable? If not a flooded fisched connector or split in the cable can make the cells lie to all the electronics.

Simon A

YBOD, Ray, rEvo II eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Simon A  View Original Post
    Richard,
    did you put in isolation resistors for the Predator cable? If not a flooded fisched connector or split in the cable can make the cells lie to all the electronics.

Simon A
    What sort of resistors? I don't know the input impedance of the petrel, so what value is usually used as a series resistor? In other hands, i'm not a cave/deep diver (yet... but maybe in the future), so damage to the cable/connector is very unlikely.
    But thanks for the notice, i will do a revision of the breakout board and put there some 0603 resistors.

RBW Member Sandrok is an unknown quantity at this point Sandrok's Avatar

Impressive! Really nice job! This is the first time I see photos of someone doing a rewire of a classic... Thanks for sharing!

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

10Kohm will do the job. the input resistance of SW is 100K

VR

Roland

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by risototh  View Original Post
    What sort of resistors? I don't know the input impedance of the petrel, so what value is usually used as a series resistor? In other hands, i'm not a cave/deep diver (yet... but maybe in the future), so damage to the cable/connector is very unlikely.
    But thanks for the notice, i will do a revision of the breakout board and put there some 0603 resistors.
    As Roland says, the impedence of a Petrel/Predator/Pursuit is approx 100Kohms or greater. A 10Kohm resistor between each cell +ve and the +ve lines to the shearwater will give you isolation of the shearwater cable (10Kohm may not be the "ideal" figure, but it's known to work)
    Alternatively Narked@90 will sell you a shearwater cable with the isolation resistors potted into the cable at the M12 cable gland, and you can simply replace the shearwater cable you have.
    HTH
    Simon A

New Member DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge's Avatar
    Hammered Inspiration

GEM, DC55, AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by risototh  View Original Post
    Hi all,

P.S. when it was soldered together, i put the two lines interconnecting the handsets on the scope, only to see, what they choosed for a bus... Uf, I2C... What i have seen was an engineering nightmare. So many crosstalks (between SCL -> SDA, buzzer and both I2C lines), I2C generated by software (the timing has changed in the time)... Take a look at the screenshots... An the "almost soldered" wire from one of the sensors... I don't like the YBOD abbreviation, but now i know...

Cheers,
    Richard
    So.........are you saying the electronics are a POS? Also is this a potentially dangerous situation?
    Later,
    John

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Super star!
    Don't supose you want to do the same with the hand sets,?.
    Regard
    Baz.

RBW Member Marco Fonti is an unknown quantity at this point Marco Fonti's Avatar
    Waiting for rEvo...

Drager Ray, Inspo Classic

Hi Risototh, you can see the Inspo software? This is interesting. I have a Inspo too, and my handsets are gonna die...
    Send the head to AP for service will be too expensive. Maybe I can do something by myself? The only alternative is to convert it in a mccr, which is not a bad thing, but if Ican save the "e" will be better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast