+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: JJCCR vs REVO mini vs VR Sentenil.

RBW Member sunboy_209@hotmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point sunboy_209@hotmail.com's Avatar
    meg

JJCCR vs REVO mini vs VR Sentenil.

Hello everyone predecessors
    I was very fond of CCR, want to buy equipment. But many do not know how to choose the brands and models, please advice. I spotted three devices want to choose a JJCCR / REVO mini / VR Sentenil.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: JJCCR vs REVO mini vs VR Sentenil.

Quote Originally Posted by sunboy_209@hotmail.com  View Original Post
    Hello everyone predecessors
    I was very fond of CCR, want to buy equipment. But many do not know how to choose the brands and models, please advice. I spotted three devices want to choose a JJCCR / REVO mini / VR Sentenil.

JJ travels best, it is super reliable and trims out and dives beautifulley. Standard BOV is a bit naff and i seem to constantly be chasing leeks but on the whole I am very pleased with its simple and cleen design and its functionality. New its stupidly expensive and second hand its just expensive. No scrubber monitoring but I couldent give a monkies about that my self as I never stay more than 6 hours underwater on the same scrubber and probably wouldent change that even if i had a display which said i could push it further.
    Its a good job its super reliable because the potted head would be a back to base repair if the electronics failed.

rEvo is a brilient scrubber design and the RMS system is the best scrubber monitering I have seen so far. Not a fan of rEvo dreems or HUDs but with Shearwater electronics (HUD & Display) I liked it a lot but it is a bit of a sod to take on aircraft and its too heavy for wet suit or light weight dry suit diving and if on the rare ocasion you do manage to flood it, it can trash all three cells at once which is a bad thing. Again this unit trims out and dives beautifulley its super easy to work on and the redundancy options for "in the field" saving of dives are the best of any CCR i have seen or dived.

If I had to pick a unit to go do an expidition in a remote place on it would be the rEvo but only with a dry suit. If its a wet suit or light weight dry rig id put my faith in the reliabuility of the JJ or id take a KISS

Sentinal I wouldent touch with a barge pole, too big too heavy too many toys on it that are prone to failure. I have been offered dives on them and turned them down as my level of interest is so low Id not buy one even if it dived like a Roles Royse drove.

ATB

Mark

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    ...and its too heavy for wet suit or light weight dry suit diving .....
    If I had to pick a unit to go do an expidition in a remote place on it would be the rEvo but only with a dry suit. If its a wet suit or light weight dry rig id put my faith in the reliabuility of the JJ or id take a KISS

Mark
    90% of the units we sell at the moment are the titanium rigs, in standard, mini or micro version
    the micro FT with 3 liter dumpy (light weight) tanks... neutral with a 3mm shorty

titanium micro does make a difference!
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Can I be the only one who doesn't mind the weight of the rEvo? I dive a stainless mini and when I'm in a 3mm wetsuit I jump into the salt water with no additional weight and sink like a stone. On the way down, I adjust the gas in the wing and bob's your uncle. Same in a 5mm wetsuit...no additional weight needed. In fresh water, without a drysuit, I use the DSix stand with the capped PVC inside the stand in order to bring the butt end up. All's good after that! Oh...diving wet I just use a DR tech plate and not the DSix stand.
    As for traveling, I've not had a problem. I either use pack it in a Pelican case OR use the Curt McNamee styly cart and put it in the overhead (depends where I'm going).

That being said...now that the JJ is in the U.S. I'm anxious to see one and hopefully dive one.

@Mark...when you say "chasing leeks" do you mean withing the BOV or in the unit itself?

Franco

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoC  View Original Post
    @Mark...when you say "chasing leeks" do you mean withing the BOV or in the unit itself?

Franco

I meen failed neg tests.

The Inspo used to have a few niggles but I could always identifie them easily and I could leave a Inspo in neg for a week no problem. The JJ is a bit of a chalange sometimes to figgure out where the leeks are and I am usualy happy if it holds neg for a min or two its NEVER held neg overnight.

KISS with the John Falcone ADV I dont think ever failed a Neg test. Pret sure the rEvo was the same. I cirtainly cant rember chasing a neg issue on the rEvo

One of the big issues with the JJ is I am frightened to put it in a big posative test because the internal counterlungs ouze out from behind the T pieces and thats a PITA.

Issues i have found with Neg on the JJ

Loop hose springs are useless. I replaced them all with SS toothed zip ties

Several holes in the counterlungs patched with repair tape

Leaking 02 manual inject button ( this became sticky on aregular basis and I have now replaced it with a needle valve with manual override.

Leaking 90 degree swivel joints

Leaking ADV

Leaking OPVs (internal and at the CL joint)

Leaking arround the T pieces where they encapsulate the internal counterlungs.

Any leakage with the actual counterlungs is tricky to check. Pulling them out of the outer casing can result in a T piece leak you didnt have before.

All in all its not insermountable ind is more a niggle than a drama but it is an issue with the JJ I seem to have a lot more of than on previous units.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze's Avatar
    JJ

I meen failed neg tests.

The Inspo used to have a few niggles but I could always identifie them easily and I could leave a Inspo in neg for a week no problem. The JJ is a bit of a chalange sometimes to figgure out where the leeks are and I am usualy happy if it holds neg for a min or two its NEVER held neg overnight.

KISS with the John Falcone ADV I dont think ever failed a Neg test. Pret sure the rEvo was the same. I cirtainly cant rember chasing a neg issue on the rEvo

One of the big issues with the JJ is I am frightened to put it in a big posative test because the internal counterlungs ouze out from behind the T pieces and thats a PITA.

Issues i have found with Neg on the JJ

Loop hose springs are useless. I replaced them all with SS toothed zip ties

Several holes in the counterlungs patched with repair tape

Leaking 02 manual inject button ( this became sticky on aregular basis and I have now replaced it with a needle valve with manual override.

Leaking 90 degree swivel joints

Leaking ADV

Leaking OPVs (internal and at the CL joint)

Leaking arround the T pieces where they encapsulate the internal counterlungs.

Any leakage with the actual counterlungs is tricky to check. Pulling them out of the outer casing can result in a T piece leak you didnt have before.

All in all its not insermountable ind is more a niggle than a drama but it is an issue with the JJ I seem to have a lot more of than on previous units.

ATB

Mark
    You have one of the early units though Mark, right? The only one of those I recognize from the half a dozen or so nearby units would be the OPV acting up. The springs are useless yes but that's not much of a recurring issue.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

I dive a SS rEvo III mini.
    I dive it in a 7mm wetsuit most of the year. It has 3kgs of trim weight at the top and a 1kg stand on the base.
    It is definitely over weighted for both wet and drysuit diving and I sink like a stone with an empty wing.

Although I have never used any other CCR ( except my IDA71 and RGUMF) I think the rEvo is the best unit for me and the diving I do. Being able to service it myself and do in field repairs if needed is fantastic.

So I will vote for Sentinel, not only cause I dive one of it, but because i dove other two.

Sentinel robust and reliable with with cutting edge technology. Heavy ? true but neutral in water, You need lead just to sink your suit.
    Big - well yes, but the best scrubber ratio out there. Longest duration, best thermal reaction protection. Configurable, with lots of data available.

With redundant electronics as standart, double HUD as stansart, the only BOV with CE - as standart, TPM as standart, CO2 monitoring, one of the best WOB. If you not tight cave freak this unit is for you, if you are one, ask Phil Short what he is using

JJ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by izze  View Original Post
    You have one of the early units though Mark, right? The only one of those I recognize from the half a dozen or so nearby units would be the OPV acting up. The springs are useless yes but that's not much of a recurring issue.

Whats the difereance between my unit and a new one?

Except the redesign on the scrubber housing which I already have and (which isnt relevent to neg testing)

I also now have the 2013 T piece mounts on my rig

ATB

Mark

RBW Member izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze's Avatar
    JJ

Whats the difereance between my unit and a new one?

Except the redesign on the scrubber housing which I already have and (which isnt relevent to neg testing)

I also now have the 2013 T piece mounts on my rig

ATB

Mark
    I'm no expert but it's not unreasonable to think that there have been minor modifications in assembly, parts used etc. I'm almost certain that there's been small changes to the OPV but I'm the type of guy who never worries about kit as long as it's working so one of the tinkering types is probably better to ask. What I do know is that I've never heard of most of your issues with six units in regular use by close friends and another two dozen in use by aquaintances. Hence why I was wondering if it's production issues from the early runs. The other option is that it's because of the environment we dive in - mostly fresh water mines and low salinity water in the Baltic.