+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Right tool for the dive"

RBW Member EOD is an unknown quantity at this point EOD's Avatar
    MK16

"Right tool for the dive"

In reference to determining what dive system (OC or CCR) to use on a particular dive you often hear people use the term "use the right tool for the dive." I've found that the determination of exactly what the "right tool" is, is largely a matter of personal preference and risk assessment and that it varies pretty widely from person to person.

I've always found it insightful to learn why people select one dive system over another for particular profiles. There tends to be a lot of variance and most people have a distinct line in the sand on which profiles they use OC for and what profiles they use CCR for. The topic makes for good boat conversation and gives you a lot of insight into the type of diver someone is and their personal risk assessment.

So, where do you draw the line?

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

No line. I like the experience I get on the rebreather. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way at the same time it's probably not very common.

Garth

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: "Right tool for the dive"

I've found "the right tool for the dive" mantra to be more of an indication of the person saying it, and a justification of their own choice.

They usually quote things like complexity, yet have to endlessly practice complex valve and manifold drills and itchy scratchy reach arounds for them.

OC or CCR, ultimately both let you breath underwater, both have their positives and negatives.

Whether a shallow single tank dive, or a 250ft tec dive, I dive CCR, both for reasons like practice practice practice, and the fact I prefer CCR for quite a number of reasons.

The only legitimate reason I've ever yet heard where CCR was wrong wrong wrong, was the guy that wanted to dive his CCR with his OW and AOW students during class.
    Last edited by Jeff Pack; 6th March 2014 at 22:13.

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    I've found "the right tool for the dive" mantra to be more of an indication of the person saying it, and a justification of their own choice.

OC or CCR, ultimately both let you breath underwater, both have their positives and negatives.

+1

Garth

RBW Member MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent's Avatar
    rEvo micro FT

Right tool for the dive, or right dive for the tool?

I find I'm diving CCR for dives that would come under the "OC is the right tool for this dive" category as I want to increase my comfort with CCR. Often the less optimal dives on CCR are the ones you get more out of. Ie buoyancy on CCR at 40m - piss easy, the same thing at 3-10m in the ocean is a different kettle of fish.

I get little enough time (SWMBO would differ in opinion here) to dive to be changing between OC and CCR based on what is the "right tool".

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

CCR every dive unless I am acting as a rescue/support diver for a boating event.
    I see no advantage to switch back and forth between CCR and OC. But I guess other with more complicated system will.

RBW Member Dr. Lecter is an unknown quantity at this point Dr. Lecter's Avatar
    rEvo II

Given how demanding diving a CCR is relative to OC, the only reason I can think of to go back to OC and forego building CCR experience is a dive where I'll be working on the bottom (porthole salvage comes to mind). Even then, I might just switch to OC on the bottom and go back to CCR for the deco.

Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter  View Original Post
    Given how demanding diving a CCR is relative to OC, the only reason I can think of to go back to OC and forego building CCR experience is a dive where I'll be working on the bottom (porthole salvage comes to mind). Even then, I might just switch to OC on the bottom and go back to CCR for the deco.

You might want to plan your gas to ensure that when you go back on the loop you have enough bailout just in case the loop is ruined. I'm sure you would plan accordingly I'm just thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Haven't dived OC since I started my MOD1.

Feel no pressing need to, either.

RBW Member Dr. Lecter is an unknown quantity at this point Dr. Lecter's Avatar
    rEvo II

Quote Originally Posted by Garth  View Original Post
    You might want to plan your gas to ensure that when you go back on the loop you have enough bailout just in case the loop is ruined. I'm sure you would plan accordingly I'm just thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the gas plan would have factor in both the scenario you describe plus the fact that the deepest part of the dive wouldn't necessarily be at an optimal pO2...which would mean more BO than an all-CCR plan plus the OC stage gas for the working portion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast