+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What do you learn in a ccr cave course if you are already oc cave diver?

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

Re: What do you learn in a ccr cave course if you are already oc cave diver?

Purchase the book of Dr. Mel Clark about CCR Cave diving. It explains the difference, which is mainly dive planning. If I had never done cave training on OC, I would go for the CCR Cave, but otherwise I wouldn't waste time and money.
    Very Respectfully

Roland Somodi

sent from my Commodore 64 using Wizard of War....

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by rolanddiver  View Original Post
    Purchase the book of Dr. Mel Clark about CCR Cave diving. It explains the difference, which is mainly dive planning. If I had never done cave training on OC, I would go for the CCR Cave, but otherwise I wouldn't waste time and money.
    Thats where I am at at this point. I am scheduled for a CCR Cave course in April and I'm really excited about that. I don't think it will be the last of my training at all. I assume I will want to take a side mount cave course at some point but probably won't feel the need to retake open circuit cave. Honestly, i don't know what to expect from either.

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

What do you learn in a ccr cave course if you are already oc cave diver?

Quote Originally Posted by Garth  View Original Post
    Thats where I am at at this point. I am scheduled for a CCR Cave course in April and I'm really excited about that. I don't think it will be the last of my training at all. I assume I will want to take a side mount cave course at some point but probably won't feel the need to retake open circuit cave. Honestly, i don't know what to expect from either.

Garth if you like diving the caves with the use of a rebreather and after some time and experience in the caves my next cave class would be the use of a DPV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Are you sugesting that an OC twinset diver dosent carry line markers, spools primary reels and three light sorces?

From your responce it sounds like you didnt read his initial post properly as he is already trained in all of thease aspects of diving as qualified OC cave diver

The question is, what does switching from a Cave rigged twin set to a Cave rigged CCR alter and id sugest as a CCR qualified cave diver having experianced the training that it changes nothing much of importance except as i repeat, the use of a 2m hose on primary bailout

I learnt a massive amount on my CCR cave course but it was all about the cave its self, how to navoigate & how manage it. In terms of the equipment I was wearing, there was nothing new as all the CCR skills remained the same as for my trimix OC OHE trainig.

As I said id feel 100% confident doing a safe cave dive on an OC rig without further training. Persoanly I think any one doing caves on OC is quite mad but thats another issue.

Again I stress if thers a two dive cross over then do it to avoid dive police messing with you, but no way would I do the whole six day course to switch to CCR cave.

ATB

Mark
    i think you should read my post again, do you always breakdown each post you read and waste time breaking down words and commenting smart comments such as " Are you suggesting that oc divers dont carry markers lights and reels "

Well my post was initially towards the new learning OC diver making a crossover to CCR in cave. with minimum experience in both. i was not talking about super smart divers who can figure things on their own. you can figure alot of things in your own in diving and get a way with it. yet thats a highly debatable matter, and one is responsible for his own life.

And replying on some fellows here, i also took cave initially on CCR and only dove oc to cross over as diver and later as instructor and i would deff. dive caves on ccr only and would teach my son when i have one on ccr not oc.

Keep Finning

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

talinea: where did you get from that you only need two dives to cross over from OC Cave to CCR Cave?

AFAIK the IANTD cross over from OC Cave to CCR Cave requirement is:

"For those who are already OC Cave Divers this Program must include a confined water session and a minimum of 400 minutes
    of cave bottom time, completed within at least 4 cave dives. All CCR cave specific skills must be completed."

while a lot of training centers still require a 4 day 8 dives minimum..

With 4 dives it might be tough to fullfill "All CCR cave specific skills must be completed"

2 dives is not possible it seems..

What would I expect to learn being in the exact same shoes.. OC Full Cave, CCR Full Trimix but no CCR Cave training:

Safe cave procedures for No viz to safely handle the rebreather..
    e.g. all Boom scenarios etc. in no viz.. not sure if you all had done that (no viz) in OW CCR training.. I surely have not..
    Train and experience touch contact while e.g. on SCR
    Train and experience the whole cave exit scenarios on a rebreather to begin with.. Diving and boyancy is different after all on a CCR.. Ok for the latter do you need a course for it? maybe not.. should you train and do that before enetring a cave on CCR? IMHO certaintly yes..

There probably is a lot more which I can not think of at the moment..

So from my angle it certaintly makes sense to take training but I am generally of the opinion that training does not hurt..
    Another aspect is: Cave diving is quite expensive.. adding training on top makes it only a tat more expensive, so really not much harm done adding a couple of days of training..

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Mousa  View Original Post
    i think you should read my post again, do you always breakdown each post you read and waste time breaking down words and commenting smart comments such as " Are you suggesting that oc divers dont carry markers lights and reels "

Well my post was initially towards the new learning OC diver making a crossover to CCR in cave. with minimum experience in both. i was not talking about super smart divers who can figure things on their own. you can figure alot of things in your own in diving and get a way with it. yet thats a highly debatable matter, and one is responsible for his own life.

And replying on some fellows here, i also took cave initially on CCR and only dove oc to cross over as diver and later as instructor and i would deff. dive caves on ccr only and would teach my son when i have one on ccr not oc.

Keep Finning

I wasn't trying to be insulting

The chap asking the question was already a TDI Full cave and IANTD Technical Cave qualified diver on OC

Hence the nature of my responce.

As for 400mins in the water 4 days etc etc for a OC to cave cros over for a trimix qualified CCR diver with full cave certification?

Id tell them to screw it unless I absolutly had to do it.

I am so glad I live in the UK where you dont need any certs to do ANY type of diving. I am fulley suporting of diver training but some of the courses for "cross over" really bl@@dy anoy me

ATB

Mark

RBW Member laphiloche is an unknown quantity at this point laphiloche's Avatar
    edo 04

I'am totally agree with Mark.

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

In the 2009 standards is written:
    For those who are already OC Cave Divers crossing over to CCR Cave this Program must include a confined water session and a minimum of 200 minutes
    of cave bottom time, completed within at least 2 cave dives. All CCR cave specific skills must be completed."

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by taliena  View Original Post
    In the 2009 standards is written:
    For those who are already OC Cave Divers crossing over to CCR Cave this Program must include a confined water session and a minimum of 200 minutes

of cave bottom time, completed within at least 2 cave dives. All CCR cave specific skills must be completed."
    Ok interesting.. I only had the 2003 standards at hand..
    still all ccr cave specific skills must be completed which might be quite strenuous in 2 dives..

RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar
    Vision Inspiration all options

kiss poseidon lard ....

Talking Re: What do you learn in a ccr cave course if you are already oc cave diver?

Hi

you wrote: What do you learn in a ccr cave?

oh personely i'm again student and not a ccr cave diver it's with many modesty that i answer you

I believe and i know now do the difference and to recognize a true professional and a customer by example and especially a teacher experimented rather than an inexperienced teacher.
    and many people know do to make also the difference also no?

Franck

Quote Originally Posted by taliena  View Original Post
    I am already oc full cave from TDI and technical cave from IANTD.
    I know there is a ccr cave course. I can do it from IANTD in just 2 dives because I am already full cave diver. What will you learn in that 2 dives?
    Is it worth to spend money on it?
    Gas/bailoutplanning is not too difficult, there no course is needed for if you know, depth, deco, swimmingspeed, etc. The rules for cavediving are not changed if you dive oc or cc. If I go diving, I take my Rebreather most of the times of course. My friends say it is a waste of money, you will learn nothing. My opinion is same at the moment.
    So can anybody tell me why I should consider of spending money for just 2 dives to get a ccr cave card? And what have you learned in that 2 dives what you didn't knew already?
    Last edited by Franck13; 10th April 2014 at 16:53.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast