+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with an appraisal of your dive gear?

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

Any experience with an appraisal of your dive gear?

I'm not sure where to post this, so will start it here and a moderator can move it, if need be.

I'm involved in a divorce. My wife had my dive gear appraised. The appraisal was done by Joel D. Silverstein, Scuba Training and Technology, Inc., Tech Diving Limited.

Has anyone else had any experience with Mr. Silverstein as an appraiser in a similar setting? If so, is anyone willing to share what opinions the court had on the accuracy of the appraisal?

Any feedback that you can provide on an appraisal by Mr. Silverstein is appreciated.

You may contact my by PM.

Thanks,

PWL4476

Let's go diving! mpement will become famous soon enough mpement will become famous soon enough mpement will become famous soon enough mpement's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: Any experience with an appraisal of your dive gear?

Joel has a lot of knowledge and experience and would certainly be able to give an accurate value for your gear. (He's not sleeping with you Ex is he?)

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

This is a good question. I know I've thought about how my wife would ever figure out what the RB, compressor, bottles, hoses, fins, etc. accumulated over the last 20 years would cost should something happen to me. Even bigger problem: How is she ever going to sell it if she doesn't know what it is, much less what it is worth?

I had given her the names of a couple of dive buddies who might be able to help but this thread has made me think that she might be better off just hiring one of the owners of one of our local dive shops to come in and tag everything + give her an itemized list with estimated values.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by w ripley  View Original Post
    This is a good question. I know I've thought about how my wife would ever figure out what the Rebreather, compressor, bottles, hoses, fins, etc. accumulated over the last 20 years would cost should something happen to me. Even bigger problem: How is she ever going to sell it if she doesn't know what it is, much less what it is worth?

I had given her the names of a couple of dive buddies who might be able to help but this thread has made me think that she might be better off just hiring one of the owners of one of our local dive shops to come in and tag everything + give her an itemized list with estimated values.

We are happily married at the moment but if she even had a slight idea of what i have spent on dive kit in the last 20 years we would be divorced :D

Lik you I had told a friend if anything happens to me to sell my dive kit for her.

ATB

Mark

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    We are happily married at the moment but if she even had a slight idea of what i have spent on dive kit in the last 20 years we would be divorced :DMark
    Hadn't thought of that. May have to rethink my approach. Not too worried about saving the marriage as much as about saving my life, lol.

Thanks for the heads-up.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Someone posted a response on CDF that I'm adopting.

The tech diver's prayer: "Oh Lord, if I should die, please don't let my wife sell my dive gear for what I told her I paid for it."
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    The tech diver's prayer: "Oh Lord, if I should die, please don't let my wife sell my dive gear for what I told her I paid for it."
    Now, that's funny.
    Bill Ripley

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

I think you need to hire someone to appraise the shoes and purses. They can be rather expensive you know.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Someone posted a response on CDF that I'm adopting.

Whilst I have tears in my eyes, I am not so sure I should be worried about what SHMBO gets for my old and abused dive gear. The " few hundred dollars" I have spent on three rebreathers, 30 tanks, two boosters, two compressors, several dry suits, and training courses I have thankfully forgotten, is long gone. If she just gets a few drinks from the proceeds, that will be a good thing.

Peter

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

If there is a lot of money involved have someone else look at it. Unless you feel the valuations are close. In that case, live with it. Just understand that most used Dive Gear isn't worth what most people think it is.... Especially in this economy. Most of us would like to think our gear is worth more than it actually is. The valuation should be what you can sell it to a Retail Shop for (Wholesale Value), not what the shop can get for it (Retail Value).

Richie
    Last edited by diverreb; 11th February 2014 at 12:36.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast