+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 82

Thread: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

  1. #41
    RBW Member Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    288
    Poseidon Discovery

    Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    This does make sense...! :)
    But mine only has the tab toward the motor...

    Maybe that is a difference between NiMh and lead-acid...?

    But since the batteries are not going much more forward, their edge is sitting against the hull, fixing it up-front. And in the back, I will have the bracket like you do. I think that should do...

    By the way, is there anyone around who's got a set of NiMh-batteries that I could get a hold off? I have access to fresh cells, so replacing those should not pose a problem... *If* someone has a set of batteries...

    Cheers,
    Dany

  2. #42
    Supporting Member nicklinux is an unknown quantity at this point nicklinux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    129
    Hammerhead

    Darwin mCCR, MK15, Hobo, Flex

    Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    Dany,
    That should work.
    Be careful with the battery's that touches or sits too close against the hull, hey could short to the hull while you scootering :)
    Unfortunately I don't know anybody who would have NiMh for arrows ..but, If you need some parts for older farallon's let me know I have bunch of them made over the times, including complete brushless conversion kits.
    Cheers,
    Nick

  3. #43
    RBW Member Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    288
    Poseidon Discovery

    Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    Jep, will definitely make sure the contacts are sealed against contact. ;)

    Conversion to brushless...?!? Holy smoke!
    What was the increase in endurance?

    That is one point I like about the Arrow...
    Though the design is - compared to today's designs - somewhat crude, but they used standardised parts from other industries.
    Which makes for a versatile platform that can be upgraded and modified as needed...
    Out of interest I had a peek at the possible maximum battery-capacity when fiddling with the different Li-types... P-valve would definitely be a must, if you want to drain the battery during the dive... :D

    Cheers,
    Dany

  4. #44
    Supporting Member nicklinux is an unknown quantity at this point nicklinux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    129
    Hammerhead

    Darwin mCCR, MK15, Hobo, Flex

    Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    Hey Dany,
    After changing to brushless it was able to tow me and two other divers fully geared, but after 30 min coupler started to slip on the shaft :) I used 500w German brushless motor with integrated controller, from electrically powers bicycles..
    You are right about the design, these farallon scooters survived for many years and still propelling divers under the water! Some people say that it's too heavy I personally don't see difference in weights in the water(actually have to add a little more to get it right)
    Farallon scooter is just a housing(pretty durable and well build in my opinion), you can put as many upgrades to it as you want(li-ion battery, better motor, prop, etc..)
    Regarding li-ion packs, I was interested in building one for my arrow but later I realized that it's very rare when I actually burn my AGMs down to the point when it won't provide enough thrust to pull me any more.. so, I don't really need to deal with an expansive and sensitive battery cells, plus if something is wrong with my battery I can alway go to nearest auto-zone or napa and get replacement for less than 100 bucks..That's kind of convenient vs waiting on shipping of li-ion and all that. In case of capacity, I always take two fully charged packs with me when I go diving :) But agin, it's what suits my way of diving(mostly scootering around shipwrecks and no long cave penetrations).
    Cheers,
    Nick

  5. #45
    RBW Member Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    288
    Poseidon Discovery

    Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    True...

    I was also into upgrading to LiFePo4, and the costs would not be much higher than NiMh, but they'd be as rugged as the SLA's - or even more, concerning low-voltage...
    But since I'm almost there with the SLA's, I thought I'd use those for now and see what happens. If it turns out I need more runtime, I can still switch at a later time...

    Still, if a case for NiMh pops-up somewhere, I sure would like to have a look at it... ;)

    I will get back as soon as I have more to ask... :)

    Cheers, Dany

  6. #46
    RBW Member ssk is an unknown quantity at this point ssk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Genoa, Italy
    Posts
    89
    Dolphin, Meg 2.7 Shearwater

    LAR VI, Fenzy PO68, Homebuilt

    Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    Hi Nick,
    I would be really curious to know more about your brushless conversion. Can you post some more details as the motor specifications and related additional works, etc.? At present I'm quite very short of time but may be in the future....

    Thanks,
    D.


    Quote Originally Posted by nicklinux  View Original Post
    Hey Dany,
    After changing to brushless it was able to tow me and two other divers fully geared, but after 30 min coupler started to slip on the shaft :) I used 500w German brushless motor with integrated controller, from electrically powers bicycles..
    You are right about the design, these farallon scooters survived for many years and still propelling divers under the water! Some people say that it's too heavy I personally don't see difference in weights in the water(actually have to add a little more to get it right)
    Farallon scooter is just a housing(pretty durable and well build in my opinion), you can put as many upgrades to it as you want(li-ion battery, better motor, prop, etc..)
    Regarding li-ion packs, I was interested in building one for my arrow but later I realized that it's very rare when I actually burn my AGMs down to the point when it won't provide enough thrust to pull me any more.. so, I don't really need to deal with an expansive and sensitive battery cells, plus if something is wrong with my battery I can alway go to nearest auto-zone or napa and get replacement for less than 100 bucks..That's kind of convenient vs waiting on shipping of li-ion and all that. In case of capacity, I always take two fully charged packs with me when I go diving :) But agin, it's what suits my way of diving(mostly scootering around shipwrecks and no long cave penetrations).
    Cheers,
    Nick

  7. #47
    Supporting Member nicklinux is an unknown quantity at this point nicklinux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    129
    Hammerhead

    Darwin mCCR, MK15, Hobo, Flex

    Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by ssk  View Original Post
    Hi Nick,
    I would be really curious to know more about your brushless conversion. Can you post some more details as the motor specifications and related additional works, etc.? At present I'm quite very short of time but may be in the future....

    Thanks,
    D.

    Hi ssk,

    Here are some details on the motor:

    24 Volt 400 Watt Kollmorgen® Brushless Motor With Built In Speed Controller
    Built-in variable speed controller works with any 5k Ohm throttle or potentiometer to vary the speed of motor from full stop to full forward. 2800 RPM at full speed. Counter clockwise shaft rotation facing shaft. 8mm OD D-shaped output shaft. 3-bolt mounting pattern. These are the same type of electric motors that Currie, Lashout, and USPD Pro-Drive electric bicycle kits use however they are not compatible with those bikes because they rotate counter clockwise instead of clockwise. These motors are popular with electric scooter and bicycle builders and experimenters. Weight 5.9lbs.

    You can buy it from http://www.electricscooterparts.com/motors24volt.html
    I think it's only $120
    For the installation(it's very easy) you will need adapter plate, love joy coupling(eBay) and 5k trimpot(RadioShack).
    No need to modify your shaft or anything else. Easy removal/installation of the motor, just 3 nuts.
    You can wire it through potentiometer and set it to constant speed or like I did thought special circuit board with MCU and digital potentiometer. It allows me to switch gears from slow to fast by simply pulling certain amount of times on the original trigger.

    Cheers, Nick


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #48
    RBW Member ssk is an unknown quantity at this point ssk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Genoa, Italy
    Posts
    89
    Dolphin, Meg 2.7 Shearwater

    LAR VI, Fenzy PO68, Homebuilt

    Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    Hey Nick,
    You are really inspiring me!!! I've a "tail" built for a previous project and may be I can give it now a new end.
    Thanks a lot for your precious hints,
    Davide

  9. #49
    RBW Member Jon Nellis will become famous soon enough Jon Nellis will become famous soon enough Jon Nellis will become famous soon enough Jon Nellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Davis / Monterey, CA
    Posts
    47

    Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by nicklinux  View Original Post
    Hi ssk,

    Here are some details on the motor:

    24 Volt 400 Watt Kollmorgen® Brushless Motor With Built In Speed Controller
    Built-in variable speed controller works with any 5k Ohm throttle or potentiometer to vary the speed of motor from full stop to full forward. 2800 RPM at full speed. Counter clockwise shaft rotation facing shaft. 8mm OD D-shaped output shaft. . .

    I tried a few of those same surplus Kollmorgen motors for development years ago when they could be found for $39. The problem is that propellers don't like to spin that fast underwater and the motor controller FETs would blow after extended running. I then tried using a larger motor controller and burnt up the windings. If you are counting on that motor to take you a mile offshore, you might want to consider the swim back. Darwin Marine might end up being an appropriate name.

    Cheers,
    Jon

  10. #50
    RBW Member ssk is an unknown quantity at this point ssk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Genoa, Italy
    Posts
    89
    Dolphin, Meg 2.7 Shearwater

    LAR VI, Fenzy PO68, Homebuilt

    Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nellis  View Original Post
    I tried a few of those same surplus Kollmorgen motors for development years ago when they could be found for $39. The problem is that propellers don't like to spin that fast underwater and the motor controller FETs would blow after extended running. I then tried using a larger motor controller and burnt up the windings. If you are counting on that motor to take you a mile offshore, you might want to consider the swim back. Darwin Marine might end up being an appropriate name.

    Cheers,
    Jon
    Hi Jon,
    thank you so much for sharing your experience. I've got also the feeling that the almost 3.000 rpm would have been a quite high rate for the propeller/motor matching. It's the main problem with the average of these motors but the introduction of a reduction system means an additional "technical challenge" to be solved as smart as possible
    Cheers,
    Davide

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts