+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Switching to CCR

RBW Member Snarkcon5 is an unknown quantity at this point Snarkcon5's Avatar

Switching to CCR

Hey everyone, I've been recreational OC diving in the Puget Sound for 10 years and am now planning to switch to CCR in the next 2-3 months. I stopped logging dives at around 500, and stopped counting around 900 because every dive was pretty much the same: swim around for 70 minutes 1' off the bottom looking for tiny things to photograph (results are here).

I'm Technology Director at a Seattle agency by day and have spent a disturbing amount of my life in front of computers, so the "fussiness" of CCR (as my wife describes it) actually appeals to me. My goals are to:
    • Increase dive time
    • Reduce DCS risk
    • Eliminate bubble noise for photos and videos
    • Lighten the load on my back/shoulders (currently using doubles)
    • Optimize for <200 fsw dives
    • Not let my CCR kill me
    I'm leaning toward Meg or Pathfinder because they're made locally, have a great reputation, have been around a long time, and are designed to be user-serviceable. Or so I've read.

Anyway, I'm still doing my research, which led me to sign up to RBW today. I fully expect to find a bewildering array of opinions here, and maybe even some useful information hidden in the cracks.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: Switching to CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkcon5  View Original Post
    Hey everyone, I've been recreational OC diving in the Puget Sound for 10 years and am now planning to switch to CCR in the next 2-3 months. I stopped logging dives at around 500, and stopped counting around 900 because every dive was pretty much the same: swim around for 70 minutes 1' off the bottom looking for tiny things to photograph (results are here).

I'm Technology Director at a Seattle agency by day and have spent a disturbing amount of my life in front of computers, so the "fussiness" of CCR (as my wife describes it) actually appeals to me. My goals are to:
    • Increase dive time
    • Reduce DCS risk
    • Eliminate bubble noise for photos and videos
    • Lighten the load on my back/shoulders (currently using doubles)
    • Optimize for <200 fsw dives
    • Not let my CCR kill me
    I'm leaning toward Meg or Pathfinder because they're made locally, have a great reputation, have been around a long time, and are designed to be user-serviceable. Or so I've read.

Anyway, I'm still doing my research, which led me to sign up to RBW today. I fully expect to find a bewildering array of opinions here, and maybe even some useful information hidden in the cracks.
    Since I'm in Puyallup, you should drop by sometime

RBW Member Lee Stroke is an unknown quantity at this point Lee Stroke's Avatar
    Revo

I would give Mel Clark a call. She has a little bit of knowledge about rebreathers and could give you some advice about which way to go.

RBW Member AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point AQUANOMAD's Avatar
    rEvo FT

Inspiration, Evolution

Re: Re: Switching to CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stroke  View Original Post
    I would give Mel Clark a call. She has a little bit of knowledge about rebreathers and could give you some advice about which way to go.
    +1.

Bull Shit Filter

She's actually at the top of my list, which is pretty short because there aren't many CCR instructors around here, AFAIK. I'm re-reading her Rebreathers Simplified for the third time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    Since I'm in Puyallup, you should drop by sometime
    Jeff, you've been pretty helpful so far when I spoke with you at Three Tree and on Facebook. I appreciate the advice and hope to meet up for a scooter dive once I get over the CCR n00b phase. Not looking forward to relearning buoyancy control.

Supporting Member Kydaka is an unknown quantity at this point Kydaka's Avatar
    rEvo 111 hCCR

Kiss GEM

did my rEvo mod1 with Mel a coupla weeks ago and she's a fantastic instructor!!

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkcon5  View Original Post
    Jeff, you've been pretty helpful so far when I spoke with you at Three Tree and on Facebook. I appreciate the advice and hope to meet up for a scooter dive once I get over the CCR n00b phase. Not looking forward to relearning buoyancy control.
    Yea, it's quite a shake up. If you go IANTD through Mel or Ron, take the Adv rec Trimix with it. that will cert you to 160ft.

+ Reply to Thread