+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Sentenil VS JJ ccr

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Re: Sentenil VS JJ ccr

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B.  View Original Post
    +1, I agree 100%. But JJ is also for cold water and is more flexible with tanks... Well both are good units, no question
    Those are unuseful details! You will last much less than the reb in cold water!! So it will never be an issue.
    Btw, I really doubt that an outer shell made in metal (aluminium) is better than plastic material to avoid heat loss...

Nad

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Nad  View Original Post
    Those are unuseful details! You will last much less than the reb in cold water!! So it will never be an issue.
    Btw, I really doubt that an outer shell made in metal (aluminium) is better than plastic material to avoid heat loss...

Nad
    The gas path flows through the scrubber then arround the outside of the scrubber to keep it warm

A neo sock would help I supose but with the limited sub 10c diving times i do I dont bother.

Below 10c I am keeping dives down to 120mins

ATB

Mark

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    The gas path flows through the scrubber then arround the outside of the scrubber to keep it warm

A neo sock would help I supose but with the limited sub 10c diving times i do I dont bother.

Below 10c I am keeping dives down to 120mins

ATB

Mark
    Mark, I know the gas path but the gas touching the metal won't become warmer...
    The point is that I don't personally think that "cold water diving" is something to keep in consideration when choose a reb, maybe as a second valuation but not the top of the list.
    But let's stay in the "straight from factory" unit...no changes.
    There's other details I like to see in a reb. For sure not the color, the size, the wing make, the harness, all the mechanical and electronic bullshit many like to talk about without really know a cent.
    I don't even care about manufacturer because, following the theory that small manufacturer are more at risk to close (consequently leaving the customers fucked) we should buy Inspiration product only, because it's the largest and consolidated CCR factory on the planet! The rest is just...small!

Anyway, in practice: very difficult a Diver will last, in such cold water, more than the Sentinel or JJ filter...

And, Btw, I dive a lot in waters under 6°C...
    Nad

RBW Member izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze's Avatar
    JJ

The point raised was actually a sentinel diver claiming the JJ unsuitable for cold water. Both work fine and as you say, the diver is more of a limiting factor than the rebreather itself though I personally do dives right on the verge of the JJ CE-specs with close to three hour exposures in four degree C water.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Nad  View Original Post
    Mark, I know the gas path but the gas touching the metal won't become warmer...
    The point is that I don't personally think that "cold water diving" is something to keep in consideration when choose a reb, maybe as a second valuation but not the top of the list.
    But let's stay in the "straight from factory" unit...no changes.
    There's other details I like to see in a reb. For sure not the color, the size, the wing make, the harness, all the mechanical and electronic bullshit many like to talk about without really know a cent.
    I don't even care about manufacturer because, following the theory that small manufacturer are more at risk to close (consequently leaving the customers fucked) we should buy Inspiration product only, because it's the largest and consolidated CCR factory on the planet! The rest is just...small!

Anyway, in practice: very difficult a Diver will last, in such cold water, more than the Sentinel or JJ filter...

And, Btw, I dive a lot in waters under 6°C...
    Nad

Sorry Nad no ofence ment I dont know what you dont know if you know what I mean :D

Just wanted to point out that unlike units like the KISS where the sofnalime is in direct contact with the external scrubber housing the JJs scrubber has an 8-10mm air pocket all arround it where warm gas from the scruber passes on up to the breathing loop. So cooler gas for the diver but the scrubber is insulated.

A unit like the Inspo is all thin plastic but the scrubber is in close proximity to the outer scrubber casing. As is the rEvo. Thermal advantage of the plastic but virtual direct contact for radiated heat loss.

I dont know if one is any better than the other? i have never seen the thermal testing?

I too dive in 6c. Its 6c in the UK at the moment, but buggerd if I do more than 120mins so scrubber duration isnt realy a consideration for me at those temps.

ATB

Mark

No worries Mark,
    Of course there's difference between metal and non metal but the main point was that cold water it's not a point at all!!!

My homebuild (years ago) was something like the KISS but with aluminium body...never had a problem.
    I think that the filters nowadays have so much "safety spare time" that we wouldn't notice the difference.

Cheers.
    Nad

RBW Member kaizer is an unknown quantity at this point kaizer's Avatar
    n/a

What do peopels think of the inspiration agienst Sentinel or JJ?

Inspiration is now also a option for us.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Just get the JJ (or a rEvo).

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    A unit like the Inspo is all thin plastic but the scrubber is in close proximity to the outer scrubber casing. As is the rEvo. Thermal advantage of the plastic but virtual direct contact for radiated heat loss.

I dont know if one is any better than the other? i have never seen the thermal testing?

Mark
    just for the record:

scrubbers do not loose heat because they radiate the heat out on the sides...

scrubbers loose heat because the divers breaths on the unit, and pushes cold gas through the scrubber: gas that is warmed up by the scrubber, and so cooles down the sorb bed
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

JJ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by kaizer  View Original Post
    What do peopels think of the inspiration agienst Sentinel or JJ?

Inspiration is now also a option for us.

Visions I hope?

Its a well suported and strong unit. Best bits IMHO are good loop integrity (never struggled to sort out pos and neg teasts on my Inspo) simple strip down, cleening and re asembly. Most people dont need a stand, large front lungs make for amazing flood tolerance and recovery, good scrubber extension with temp stick good deco choices built in.

Down sides are single display unit, HUD only offers OK & danger display rather than showing individual PP02 on cells, big unit to travle with (thow good travel options now available) needs a lot more lead than other units to sink it and many struggle to get it to trim out properly

My greatist concern is the lack of field repair and the back to base requirement for repairs to the head. But thats also true of the JJ except you can fly a JJ on just the HUD

ATB

Mark