+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sentenil VS JJ ccr

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Re: Sentenil VS JJ ccr

For balance, I have 6 acquaintances who've had to mothball their Sentinels as they are unsellable and they find them impossible to keep working and neither VR nor Avon seem able to honour the product they sold. IIRC 2 bought JJ's, 2 bought Visions and 2 bought rEvo's.

Perhaps they are the only people in the world with problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Nad  View Original Post
    +1 to johnvanderleest.
    I use Sentinel (among others) since 2008, old unit and news.
    They've got some bug at the beginning of the Optocon launch that were fixed.
    The only one major pain in ass was the HP transmitters but now it's fixed (finally).
    I just upgraded an old unit (2008) to all new Optocon (OLED handset included) and it work perfectly.

Never never ever had a problem with the customer service which I find above the average.

Still now, shipped the old unit wrote what I was looking for and after 1 month (as promised) I've got my perfectly functional unit.

Just my 2 cents.
    Nad

RBW Member Mr B. is an unknown quantity at this point Mr B.'s Avatar
    Sentinel - Ouroboros

I own a Sentinel, pre-optocom which is in good as new condition and runs without any problem. It's heavy yes, but in water it's fantastic!
    That said, JJ is also a good choice... and I guess same weight then Sentinel.
    My 2 cents

Karlos (FrogTec) karlos1968 will become famous soon enough karlos1968 will become famous soon enough karlos1968 will become famous soon enough karlos1968's Avatar
    VR Sentinel Expedition

Sentenil VS JJ ccr

I now own two Sentinels, I have always considered that they are a finally tuned piece of kit that needs constant fettling to keep all the bells and whistles in tune. I think a lot of the frustration comes with a sensor failing or dropping out, there are only three sensors which make the unit undiveable and all CCR have these - the o2 sensors. Loss of temp stick is only an indication of stack life, the key indicator is in the divers head! The co2 is a bonus and just because it fails does not mean you have had a breakthrough! The HP senders loosing connection does not empty your bottles. You can always bin the HP senders and go old school with gauges, you only need to turn the senders off in DVO set up before the pre breath. The JJ is however a very nice unit with few niggles (because it is fairly basic in tech). By the way VR are in the process of moving office, which I consider to be a positive sign to the future.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    any rebreather which uses Shearwater as a solenoid controller is a bonus.
    Interesting. What makes you say that? Of all the CCr's I've owned I find the shearwater o2 controller the least sophisticated.

The computer is of course awesome, as is the display, but what makes you think the controller is a bonus? Just curious.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    For balance, I have 6 acquaintances who've had to mothball their Sentinels as they are unsellable and they find them impossible to keep working and neither VR nor Avon seem able to honour the product they sold. IIRC 2 bought JJ's, 2 bought Visions and 2 bought rEvo's.

Perhaps they are the only people in the world with problems?
    Ben this is what I think. To tell the truth we should have had the possibility to touch and dive the units you're talking about.

In my experience I can tell you that there's plenty of CCR divers out there that find difficult to manipulate and understand their units outside of the dive itself!!
    For my parts the problems had with my and customers unit was HP sensors related. I'm far away than you from VRTechnology but again, never ever had a problem of customer service. Probably because I organise every shipping and repair in advance with them??

Nad

I dived both Sentinel and JJ. For my type of dives (wreck, and open water, cold waters!) definitely Sentinel. I love HUD options that tells you all Ya need to know in simplicity (not counting blinks) Sentinel is much more open for Diver. You can configure almost anything to your purpose. Jest it is bigger but it has the best scrubber to dive time ratio. Lets face it aluminum build is not for cold water. Also i do not like the idea of BMCL out in the open without me seeing it. In Sentinel CL is protected by hard cover.
    JJ has no additional PO2 control (primary+HUD)
    Sentinel has primary, secondary and HUD (HUD shows Deco !)
    JJ uses external batteries - Sentinel internal triple redundancy
    JJ has no BOV it comes as standard for sentinel
    Sentinel has Electronics designed for this CCR - JJ uses OEM
    Sentinal has capability to monitor Your CO2 level
    Sentinel has TPM in standart it tells You how and if Your sorb is working

The only big question about Sentinel is what is going to happen to the company. Their support is still working and it is well above average but will it continue like that ? I spoke to Kev at BalticTech Conference and he assured me that teh Product will not die...but we will see. So if you belive it take your chance and buy Sentinel Expedition for great prica that those are available now.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBrown  View Original Post
    Interesting. What makes you say that? Of all the CCr's I've owned I find the shearwater o2 controller the least sophisticated.

The computer is of course awesome, as is the display, but what makes you think the controller is a bonus? Just curious.

IMHO least sophisticated is a good thing but I am curious to know why you say that?

For me its super reliable and thats what makes it the best.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    IMHO least sophisticated is a good thing but I am curious to know why you say that?

ATB

Mark
    It seems that that doesn't matter much in Rebreathers anymore.

Cam

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Sentenil VS JJ ccr

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

ATB

Mark
    Let's get my original question answered first;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze's Avatar
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by subbaltica  View Original Post
    I dived both Sentinel and JJ. For my type of dives (wreck, and open water, cold waters!) definitely Sentinel. I love HUD options that tells you all Ya need to know in simplicity (not counting blinks) Sentinel is much more open for Diver. You can configure almost anything to your purpose. Jest it is bigger but it has the best scrubber to dive time ratio. Lets face it aluminum build is not for cold water. Also i do not like the idea of BMCL out in the open without me seeing it. In Sentinel CL is protected by hard cover.
    JJ has no additional PO2 control (primary+HUD)
    Sentinel has primary, secondary and HUD (HUD shows Deco !)
    JJ uses external batteries - Sentinel internal triple redundancy
    JJ has no BOV it comes as standard for sentinel
    Sentinel has Electronics designed for this CCR - JJ uses OEM
    Sentinal has capability to monitor Your CO2 level
    Sentinel has TPM in standart it tells You how and if Your sorb is working

The only big question about Sentinel is what is going to happen to the company. Their support is still working and it is well above average but will it continue like that ? I spoke to Kev at BalticTech Conference and he assured me that teh Product will not die...but we will see. So if you belive it take your chance and buy Sentinel Expedition for great prica that those are available now.
    Saying that the JJ isn't suitable for cold waters is just wrong. There are dozens of units in use in Sweden and Finland that go through extreme exposures on a weekly basis. If a unit works well mine diving with 3 hour+ exposures in 2 degree celsius water temperature and surface temperatures below zero it's just ridiculous to call it unsuitable for cold waters.

Unprotected lungs isn't an issue either. It's way down on the list of things you'd risk puncturing while wreck diving. I'd worry about gloves, suit and loop hoses before considering the lungs a risk.

I'd also argue against the sentinel being easier to configure to suit diver needs and wants. I'm no expert but having dived with sentinel users I fail to see how it would be easier to reconfigure than a unit where the plumbing is accessible without tools, any part can be replaced with standard hp/lp hoses, you can invert or deinvert tanks to your liking as well as add extra tanks to the cannister at will. If I bought a needle valve I could make my pretty much stock JJ into a needle valve-based mccr with 2x12 liter inboard bailout in the span of an hour.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast