+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sentenil VS JJ ccr

RBW Member Tim1 is an unknown quantity at this point Tim1's Avatar
    JJ CCR, Hammerhead, Flex

Sentinel

Re: Sentenil VS JJ ccr

I've owned a Sentinel and now I dive a JJ. My hard wired early production Sentinel was reliable, dived well and I sold it for the same money as I paid for it. That said, I don't miss it for a minute.

FWIW. I had a call from an ex VR employee a couple of days ago who told me that all production equipment had been transferred to Avon. IMO, this and the dubious circumstances around the acquisition by Avon, the demise of VR and transfer to VR Technology Holdings gives me no confidence in the longevity of product support or development.

A very long barge pole and Sentinel would be key in any good advice...

Buy a JJ.

New Member Pat Coughlan has a spectacular aura about Pat Coughlan has a spectacular aura about Pat Coughlan has a spectacular aura about Pat Coughlan has a spectacular aura about Pat Coughlan has a spectacular aura about Pat Coughlan has a spectacular aura about Pat Coughlan's Avatar
    Sentinel

Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1  View Original Post
    I've owned a Sentinel and now I dive a JJ. My hard wired early production Sentinel was reliable, dived well and I sold it for the same money as I paid for it. That said, I don't miss it for a minute.

FWIW. I had a call from an ex VR employee a couple of days ago who told me that all production equipment had been transferred to Avon. IMO, this and the dubious circumstances around the acquisition by Avon, the demise of VR and transfer to VR Technology Holdings gives me no confidence in the longevity of product support or development.

A very long barge pole and Sentinel would be key in any good advice...

Buy a JJ.
    I dive a Sentinel and a very early one which has been reliable but I tend to agree with Tim regarding future support (Tim was that you I was talking to in NDAC on the bus you have a Nova ffm?) when you buy a unit you have to look at the support the manufacturer provides which in the case of Avon you have to wonder how long they will support the civilian market and their and Vr's attitude towards warranties when ownership change hands left a very bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths.

I dont believe a Sentinel would be the better option for you

Cheers Pat

RBW Member kaizer is an unknown quantity at this point kaizer's Avatar
    n/a

Thanks for the good answers:)
    You believe that support from VR will disappear?

Supporting Member johnvanderleest is an unknown quantity at this point johnvanderleest's Avatar
    Inspiration

Sentinal

Try contacting Kevin Kurr if you are concerned about the Sentinal support disappearing. There is a lot of speculation in the responses but I have not had any issues with support after it was acquired by Avon. If fact you need a big company and big company dollars to grow, and I am hoping that things will get even better. If Avon wanted to take the IP and disband the company, they would have done it by now. The problem with most rebreather makers is that they are aften one man operations that come and go, so I am looking at the Avon purchase as a good thing.
    I don't thing we will see the demise of the sentinal but are likely to see some evolution. They recently released their new sports unit which is selling really well from what I hear. See Hollis Explorer.

RBW Member xaryo is an unknown quantity at this point xaryo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

[...]

The Meg is odd in some ways but a well built unit

ATB

Mark

In which way is the Meg odd?

I'm looking to go CCR and might have me eye on one.

John H Hanzl johnnyh is an unknown quantity at this point johnnyh's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

Sentinel Expedition Travel

Sentenil VS JJ ccr

+1 for Johnvanderleest's post. I too have had zero issues with VR tech support post Avon purchase. The forums love to bash the Sentinel, but only a tiny fraction of those voices have any experience with the unit. It's a very sophisticated rebreather which sometimes can get in its own way, but it's a great product.
    John Hanzl

Author, Out of Hell's Kitchen
    www.outofhellskitchen.com

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Electronics matter and any rebreather which uses Shearwater as a solenoid controller is a bonus.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyh  View Original Post
    ........... The forums love to bash the Sentinel, but only a tiny fraction of those voices have any experience with the unit. ............
    But lots of us have had experience with VR!!!

RBW Member Tim1 is an unknown quantity at this point Tim1's Avatar
    JJ CCR, Hammerhead, Flex

Sentinel

Hello Pat. Yes, that was me at NDAC

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

+1 to johnvanderleest.
    I use Sentinel (among others) since 2008, old unit and news.
    They've got some bug at the beginning of the Optocon launch that were fixed.
    The only one major pain in ass was the HP transmitters but now it's fixed (finally).
    I just upgraded an old unit (2008) to all new Optocon (OLED handset included) and it work perfectly.

Never never ever had a problem with the customer service which I find above the average.

Still now, shipped the old unit wrote what I was looking for and after 1 month (as promised) I've got my perfectly functional unit.

Just my 2 cents.
    Nad

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast