+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using a BOV

RBW Member BlueZen is an unknown quantity at this point BlueZen's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro

Meg

Using a BOV

I have been considering adding a BOV to my rEvo for a while now. I like the concept but never got around to really looking at it in detail and have several questions to anyone with experience using them. Appreciate any thoughts on the following please.

For those of you using a BOV for full trimix diving or cave:

1) How do you physically rig the BOV - where do you / how do you route your hoses to it (how you keep the configuration streamlined, but also how you manage switching gasses on the BOV depending on depth....or do you?) Any pictures would be really helpful if you have them.

2) What do you add to your pre-dive check?

3) If you had a failure and needed to stay off the loop - would you breathe off the BOV or just use the BOV while you got squared away and switch to your regulator on your bailout?

For those of you who have considered a BOV and decided NOT to use one, what were your reasons against it?

Thanks

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Re: Using a BOV

I put a BOV on my rEvo as soon as I got it.
    I had all my breathable gas rigged offboard (DIL, ADV, BOV) and on board gas was only for inflation, although with the twist of a ball valve it would also supply breathable gas as well for situations when I would not use a bail out tank. eg 10 meter dive.

In the end I removed my BOV as I found it a pain while scootering.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: Using a BOV

I am sure I answered this before??? Maybe on a diferent forum

BOV

PRO ARGUMENT

Being able to go to off board gas at the flip of a switch without having to remove the loop from my mouth could be a life saving issue if some of the C02 related incidents are to be listened to

Being able to go off loop and back on loop easily encourages you to go off loop in a situation where you think there might be a problem. Going off loop is ALWAYS the safest option.

Having a BOV on a large off board tank of safe bottom mix enables you to have easy access to an alternative diluient.

AGAINST ARGUMENT

Cost

Weight in the mouth / comfort

Maintinance

Simple truth: If it were not fror the fact I beleive I couldent get off loop in the eent of a full on C02 hit I wouldent bother with a BOV. As it is I do beleive that to be the case so i wouldent dive without one out of choice.

BOV issues:

Must be single handed operation

Must have good WOB on OC operation

Must have good WOB on CCR operation

Must be comfortable on longer dives & scootering (chin support & lightweight)

For me at the moment thats a Golum Shrimp but I am open to improvements and id like to try the APOC BOV as i am told its very good.

Yes id stay on my BOV till my deep bailout is empty or no longer required.

No I dont bother with gas blocks for my BOV because thats a step too far in complexity and user error becomes a serious issue.

Yes I beleive once I have emptied 250 bar in my 7ltr or 10ltr bailout i will be recovered enough to go on to a conventional OC reg.

I conect my BOV to a large off board tank via a standard fitting 1.5m reg hose

This makes for better head movement and reduced weight over gas conects on the BOV

HTH

ATB

Mark

Urs or Nounours teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005's Avatar
    rEvo III mccr

MKVI

Using a BOV

I begun ccr diving with a bov in 2007; had first a v4tec And the tecme bov both on my rEvo. The only one time i thought I have to bail out, the bov did not work - never found out why - . Used QC 6 couplings allowing me to switch on BOs depending depth. Since two years, i did get rid of bov and feel much safer than with it...
    The mkvi i also dive with has also a bov. Nice toy and very useful as poseidon asks You now and then to BO without understandable reason.
    But for a real rb, bov is not the solution, at least not for me.

+ Reply to Thread