+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: What made Women go CCR?

RBW Member SilvaFish is an unknown quantity at this point SilvaFish's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

Re: What made Women go CCR?

Quote Originally Posted by betterunderwater  View Original Post
    And number four was that some dude years ago told me I couldn't.
    Had that myself, years ago. Told me becoming a DM would only mean being a bottle monkey. Anyway, dropped him and his jealousy, furthered my diving (gaining immense satisfaction teaching Discover SCUBAs) and now, loving the rEvo and all uphill from here!

Back on topic - decided to go rebreather as want to go further, deeper, but want to keep my original knees for a long time yet :)

RBW Member tstormdiver is an unknown quantity at this point tstormdiver's Avatar
    Hollis PRISM2

As a new CCR diver, I would say I went to CCR because:
    • As a cave diver, I wanted to expand my dives without additional weight, my 108's are at nearly the limit of my physical strength.
    • I am eventually wanting to go to trimix. I see both the advantages of less weight, again & less $ for fills. Both good advantages,... but I also know of the limitations & risks of my unit.
    • I love the quiet,.... Diving to me, is peaceful, the quietness makes the peacefulness more real.
    • I want to expand my diving,... meaning I want to be the most well rounded diver that I can be.
    Diving to me is not a male/ female thing,.... it is a diving thing. A rebreather is a tool,.. a tool towards an end. I am hoping that the rebreather takes me further than my doubles can. No,.. I will not entirely stop diving doubles or OC, because rebreathers are not the realm of 95% of divers.

scubakevin scubakevin is an unknown quantity at this point scubakevin's Avatar
    rEVO

Titan

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    About me ??? Doesn't matter , as long as we get the pic's ! ;)
    Big buds , small buds, there are nice one's in every size ;)

Btw: it doesn't have to be in the old drysuit .... It doesn't have to be in any suit at al ;)

Sorry for the hijack , it's supposed to be about women diving Ccr and now it's about .....doubles and drysuits :)

Sent by my scrubber using a rEvodream
    you can quote me:
    "I love diving rEvo CCR. Simple reason why, my dream as a child was to become an astronaut.
    The reason WHY it happened was my amazing husband got rebreather fever. He gets one, I need one, right?

And thus complete with drysuit I get a feeling of understanding for Tony Stark.
    But my hypothesis is that divers are not normal people.

Why I wouldn't have tried it without the husband influence? dolla!dolla!billz,yo.
    It is an expensive hobby. I know a few women that sold their doubles set ups after fundies class because it was going to cost like $300 for gas fills. I never bothered with doubles because for one I am little and doubles weigh more than me .
    Cost is a HUGE barrier to enter this sport.
    And then, once the costs are covered, you get called clever things like "token" on the dive boats.

so what IS needed to dive ccr with a double x chromosome?
    must be odd to start with
    large disposable income
    good at maths (sorry stereotype)
    self secure enough to be an "odd" member of an odd charter
    a good buddy to dive with (oh husband of mine, you are stuck with me)
    and heaven help the moms in this sport with self-preservation instincts up the wazoo.

I would love to see more women in this sport, but it is a numbers game

mrs. scubakevin"

Vic Vic is an unknown quantity at this point Vic's Avatar
    Meg

Yes, brand new to CCR after a couple years deep OC and as I girl I felt I needed to respond:

[*]Want to go deeper[*]Want to stay there longer[*]Want to still be able to pay a mortgage instead of sacrificing that to fill tanks with decent mix

its a no brainer really. Just logical

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

just 1 reason: wanted to go deeper than 330 ft and longer bottomtimes.
    I bought a ccr in january, dived it, dived it and dived it. Just to make hours and hours. And last week I finished my mod3 course. Happy with it.
    Not a special female reason to buy a ccr, most women don't do technical diving.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by taliena  View Original Post
    just 1 reason: wanted to go deeper than 330 ft and longer bottomtimes.
    I bought a ccr in january, dived it, dived it and dived it. Just to make hours and hours. And last week I finished my mod3 course. Happy with it.
    Not a special female reason to buy a ccr, most women don't do technical diving.
    Hello Taliena!

Thank you for your response. Why do you think that most women don't do technical diving. Thank you :)

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Hello Taliena!

Thank you for your response. Why do you think that most women don't do technical diving. Thank you :)
    The weights of all that heavy divestuff, it is the sport itself (diving, more man than women do diving), the fear that something goes wrong (yes, you I must always remember that technical dive has a little bit more risks than single tank diving in ndl).
    Man are more adventurous. I am that too, I started diving and during the open water course I said that I wanted to start technical diving and would not stay within the 18m or 30m ndl. My instructor, a real sportsdiver that doesn't like darkness and depth said that it was not an good idea. But I said, I will do it, I will try it, so I did. ccr diving was not directly a want. First came after 2 years from my first dive a 330 ft dive. Then I wanted more, did last year a 110m dive with a 17 minute bottomtime on oc and that was on the real limits of oc diving. Then I knew I need a ccr to do more of such dives.
    What does it made so nice to do technical diving? For me it are the caves and wrecks and all stuff that you need. I don't like to be a massdiver. To do other dives than most divers do, that is nice. And if you do just a reef dive, then is going deep first better than stay shallow. Why? during deco you have plenty of time to see all the corals and fish too. You have more time than on a singletank dive that is not allowed to be longer than a 45 minutes with a guide that shows you not the things you are interested in.

I think females have a lot of 'motherfeelings', they see more fear and danger than man.

Female techinstructors are really rare.
    Last edited by taliena; 29th April 2014 at 14:48.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6