+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Choosing a dry suit

RBW Member CristinnaP is an unknown quantity at this point CristinnaP's Avatar

Choosing a dry suit

Hey,

A few days ago, some of my friends convinced me to go along with them at Calabas Reef, next month.
    I must say that I'm OW certified (recently), without much of a diving experience.
    My friends have the same level of training as mine.
    I need a dry, or semi dry suit, but do not know the criteria for choosing one. Same friends suggested to go at some shops, coz they will know what to give me, but , honestly, i don't think this is a good idea.
    I saw something on a website, Dipndive.com, but wanna have an opinion from divers more experienced.
    I'd be grateful for any help/info.

PS: Am 5'4 and 110 pounds.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: Choosing a dry suit

Where do you see your diving heading?

Purely recreational, eventually Tec?

Neoprene suits are warmer, take longer to dry.

Shell suits dry quicker, more flexible, less insulation.

more bubble to manage in a shell suit (exception, whites fusion).

I dive a Whites Fusion because I can put a Bullet Skin on it for cold water diving, and a Lycra skin for warmer water diving..Virtually no bubble to manage.

RBW Member innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova's Avatar
    jj ccr

Seaskin.co.uk

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

RBW Member Bubblemaster is an unknown quantity at this point Bubblemaster's Avatar
    ISC Megalodon CE

Draeger dolphin, Inspiration

It is a beginner OW diver who is just going to buy a drysuit and get him/herself into serious trouble. No friends with experience, let alone experienced drysuit divers.

Only good advice is get an instructor (one who dives a drysuit frequently) who teaches you to dive a drysuit and teaches you the pos and neg about drysuits. Don't just buy a drysuit!

That is the only advice I will give you.

RBW Member innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova is a splendid one to behold innova's Avatar
    jj ccr

I just told the op where to buy cheap. There is nothing wrong with beginners using drysuits. In many places in the world you learn to dive in one or you don't learn to dive at all. Not going to comment in the training side as buoyancy on a drysuit is a matter of practice. If you have enough hours under your belt and take it slow then it's a no brainer but if you are recently qualified at a resort then yeah stay away from drysuits and maybe diving depending on how bad was the resort's training.

jj ccr

By the way. I wonder what a recently qualified oc diver is doing posting here... Not that he can't but rebreather are way out of his/her league

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Buffalo I'm assuming New York is Great Lakes Territory so a dry suit is a must diving at this time of year.

RBW Member Lee Stroke is an unknown quantity at this point Lee Stroke's Avatar
    Revo

If you are rich, DUI is the way to go. I would get some training or the first trip to the surface is going to be very interesting.

RBW Member LeCrabe is an unknown quantity at this point LeCrabe's Avatar
    rEvo III mCCR mini titanium

Quote Originally Posted by CristinnaP  View Original Post
    Hey,

A few days ago, some of my friends convinced me to go along with them at Calabas Reef, next month.
    I must say that I'm OW certified (recently), without much of a diving experience.
    My friends have the same level of training as mine.
    I need a dry, or semi dry suit, but do not know the criteria for choosing one. Same friends suggested to go at some shops, coz they will know what to give me, but , honestly, i don't think this is a good idea.
    I saw something on a website, Dipndive.com, but wanna have an opinion from divers more experienced.
    I'd be grateful for any help/info.

PS: Am 5'4 and 110 pounds.

Hi Cris,
    What has been said here is correct.
    If you did not already so, take the dry suit speciality course before buying any dry suit,… of any kind … doesn't matter the training agency.
    If you don't want to stick with a semi dry… it is not as warm but safer if you did not train for dry suit use.
    You will discover that the choice of your dry suit is VERY dependent of what you intend to do in the future (tek or rec, cold or very cold, cave, wreck…). They all have pro and cons. I will even not mention the costs.
    Before evything, get the training, the rest is easy…
    dive safe

+ Reply to Thread