+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The passing of one of diving's greatest legends

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

The passing of one of diving's greatest legends

It's with great sadness the passing of one of diving's greatest legends “Nick Icorn” The Scuba Industry has lost an icon.

He will be greatly missed by his peers, family, and friends. A small memorial will be held at Forest Lawn, Cypress, California on Saturday December 28 at 9 a.m.
    Nick was born in Hollywood, California. He always had an interest in the ocean. From the age of eight he would go tent camping on southern California beaches. He learned to swim in the Huntington Beach surf and in the pool by the pier. He entered high school in 1943. He was kicked out of the Merchant Marines when they found out he had lied about his age and was only 14. His mother helped him enlist in the United States Marines in 1944. He served in the Philippines and Saipan in the aftermath of WWII.He married Marilyn in 1950. His diving career began one day at her uncle’s home where in a pool he donned a mask and fins for the first time.Nick was part of the first formal Underwater Instructors Course. He holds Instructor certifications from the YMCA, Los Angeles County, NAUI, SSI, PADI and NASDS. In 1969 he became the first Executive Director of PADI developing programs and standards. Under his leadership their instructor base went from 234 to over 12,000 worldwide. He wrote numerous training manuals for the industry including the first, “Standards and Procedures Manual,” and the “Basic Scuba Course,” and the, “Course Director’s Manual.” He worked for many of the US diving manufacturers including US Cavalero, Ocean Dynamics, Healthways, US Divers, and Sherwood Selpac as an engineer helping in the design evolution of diving equipment.
    His honors include two NOGI awards, the DEMA Reaching Out Award, The California Scuba Service Award, the Conrad Limbaugh Memorial Award, and International Legends of Diving Award. He was inducted into the International Scuba Diving Hall of Fame and the NAUI Hall of Honor. The Great Barrier Reef in Australia, the Maldives, Belize, Hawaii and of course Southern California are some of the places he has been diving. His only diving accident was in the 1970’s in the Bahamas when he suffered the bends. He has volunteered hundreds of hours lecturing on the evolution of diving, and often displays pieces from his vast collection of vintage diving equipment.

I have photographed dozens of pictures of Nicks’ vintage Scuba gear. Some can be found here on RBW be searching for Long BEACH Scuba Shows.

See Below.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/photo...cat/558/page/1

Last edited by Chett.L; 27th December 2013 at 04:38.
    Chett. L

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Re: The passing of one of diving's greatest legends

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    [COLOR=#0033cc]It's with great sadness that the passing of one of diving's greatest legends “Nick Icorn”
    Thank you for posting that Chett.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: The passing of one of diving's greatest legends

Nick Icorn, 2005 DEMA Reaching Out Award Recipient Video. Must Watch.

Chett. L

RBW Member warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini

Prism, Meg Copis, KISS Sport

Nick Icorn at Pelican Products

After Nick worked with many of the iconic innovators of SCUBA equipment (including Jacques Cousteau) and was uniquely responsible for the development of safety and training procedures in every SCUBA certification organization that has ever existed in the USA (including Los Angeles County Parks & Recreation, NAUI & PADI), I met him at Pelican Products. He had been a Director of Engineering there, and remained many more years as a personal friend of Dave Parker, the CEO of Pelican.

I was an engineer at Pelican, developing water-tight flashlights. Nick inspired me to think more deeply about every aspect of diving, including my choice of a Prism for my first rebreather, of which he had a very small part in the initial development.

Boy, I was lucky to meet him, be at Pelican with him, and hear his stories about SCUBA history. For any question I had about diving, he was right there, very excited to explain and tell a dive story. I had been certified in 1972, so by the late 90's I thought I had some history of my own to talk about, but his stories were consistently enlightening and educational. He was amazingly humble and quiet about his importance in diving history. Still, each story was full of personal excitement and pride. I think he was very happy to have another diver there in the technical area of design for equipment to be used underwater, and his friendship there added much satisfaction for me as well, adding great motivation to design flashlights in the same spirit that he designed so many concepts for the development of SCUBA training and safety.

I hope that many of you were able to see his equipment displays at SCUBA shows thorughout the USA, and that you will support his family's plans to organize an appropriate dive museum for his impressive collection from dive history.

--Warren
    Last edited by warjarrett; 27th December 2013 at 07:15. Reason: grammer

+ Reply to Thread