+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Counter Lungs, Latex or Neoprene

Cat Wrangler Bluetickle is on a distinguished road Bluetickle is on a distinguished road Bluetickle's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Counter Lungs, Latex or Neoprene

Steve Gamble is going to make some nice streamlined counter lungs for me.

I am struggling to decide on which material to use: Latex or Neoprene.

Steve is willing to use either material. What are people's experiences?

Gamble Scuba

Another thing is how does one determine the best volume.

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Re: Counter Lungs, Latex or Neoprene

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetickle  View Original Post

Gamble Scuba

I developed a nasty latex allergy from using a drysuit with latex seals. Tolerance to latex decreases with continued exposure. I would not use latex as a counter lung.

Dwayne

Cat Wrangler Bluetickle is on a distinguished road Bluetickle is on a distinguished road Bluetickle's Avatar
    Hammerhead

I've heard that about repeated exposure to latex... so far I'm fine and I frequently wear latex gloves at work.

RBW Member Hagberg is an unknown quantity at this point Hagberg's Avatar
    Homebuilt sidemount CCR

Gamble Scuba

Hi Jonathan,

While I have only made counterlungs from nylon and polyurethane, I can imagine the latex ones might get more affected by the Florida sun than the neoprene ones would? (developing dry cracks etc much quicker perhaps?)

Regarding best volume, I've found it useful to take a bag of a known volume (usually around 5-6 liters) and breathe into that a few times to see how much more or less volume you might need for a full breath. A full breath underwater will often be slightly smaller than on land, so that extra volume you will get from doing this test on land should just give you some latitude for depth changes without dumping or adding gas.

Cheers,
    Andreas

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

I've heard that about repeated exposure to latex... so far I'm fine and I frequently wear latex gloves at work.
    The quality of latex varies. As an example, the medical industry has very high standards on the use of latex and minimizing latex proteins. The stuff we use in scuba diving does not necessarily meet the same standards.

Latex allergy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Increasing your exposure to latex could bring on a reaction.
    Last edited by DwayneJ; 19th December 2013 at 00:13.

On the fence hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound's Avatar
    KISS / Meg

My father who is a physician said, "it doesn't work that way" when I queried him about the latex counterlungs and potential allergy issues. After hearing that, getting a pair from a friend, and making a few dives, I think they are awesome. I worry about punctures or rather getting pinched on the dive boat loading gear etc. The latex lungs seem more sanitary than other lungs; easy to clean and dry. They are VERY streamlined but I found they triggered the ADV more than I expected; I have to test the volume. The gamble neoprene lungs look incredible and in a different league than the ISC neoprene lungs just looking at them and from accounts from an owner or both kinds. The latex are floaty and wanted to ride up compared to ISC cordura or hammerhead standard lungs. Most importantly the latex lungs look cool.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

The majority of OEM CL's are PU lungs in Cordura bags, why not copy that?

IMO you want a material without "stretch" for +ve test if nothing else.

RBW Member Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil has a spectacular aura about Captain Bil's Avatar
    Meg ECCR

Re: Re: Counter Lungs, Latex or Neoprene

Gamble Scuba

Just curious as to why you are looking for alternate lungs. I dive a Meg and used the stock ISC neoprene lungs until they became more aquaseal than neoprene. I always hated the way they rode on me, ditto the ISC cordura lungs. Like you, I talked to Steve Gamble about latex, but didn't want stuff on my chest anymore. I opted for Golem Gear BMCL's and won't go back to chest mounted lungs. Just another option for your $1,000 dollars!

Sent from behind a pint of Guinness.

Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bil  View Original Post
    Just curious as to why you are looking for alternate lungs. I dive a Meg and used the stock ISC neoprene lungs until they became more aquaseal than neoprene. I always hated the way they rode on me, ditto the ISC cordura lungs. Like you, I talked to Steve Gamble about latex, but didn't want stuff on my chest anymore. I opted for Golem Gear BMCL's and won't go back to chest mounted lungs. Just another option for your $1,000 dollars!
    These counter lungs will be used with a "LowRider" Gambrill/McCoy style sidemount rebreather. My instinct says go with Neoprene, but Ted thought Latex might be a better choice. Steve Gamble was ambivalent about the choice. I'm looking for low profile, over the shoulder, and durable. I think the frictional durability of neoprene over latex when squeezing through rocky restrictions is probably the deciding factor. Unless someone tells me something amazing, I'll probably go with neoprene material.

RBW Master Plumber lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Meg,Prizm,RB80,LARV,MK15,HomeB

I had few latex prototypes made. Dove them mainly in caves. They are great, soft, pliable, but have one big disadvantage in my book. They are very easy to slice through, and it usually results in complete loop failure. I did not have this issue with any of my neoperene or Cordura CLs.

+ Reply to Thread