+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KISS GEM SideKick, Converted to CCR

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

KISS GEM SideKick, Converted to CCR

Just finished my conversion last night, but have one question.

It came with a 1pd Omniswivel Check Valve, and I used the same part for the 3 button MAV port, but a 1pd check valve, how deep can I hot swap with the check valve before water pressure pushes past it?

thx!

Taking the GS out this weekend for some trial runs. Biggest trick will be learning to ascend managing its air expansion in the counter lung as well.

RBW Member Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes's Avatar

Re: KISS GEM SideKick, Converted to CCR

Please post your impressions and experiences

Enviado desde mi GameBoy usando Tapatalk 2

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Maiden mCCR voyage tomorrow. All just rec depth, although if seems well, a push to 150-160 and test.

New Member wARNY jIM is an unknown quantity at this point wARNY jIM's Avatar

It would be nice to see a few pic's of your unit?:)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Meg

KISS

No pics yet, been a lazzy ass.

So far have done a few test dives to 100ft, checking WOB from 20-100ft.

With a 3pd trim weight on the ass end in SW, it wasnt enough to bring the unit to trim, and first test at 20ft was like exhaling into a full counterlung, or blowing a breathalizer :)

Deeper got better.

Subsequent dive, with a 5pd tail weight was much better, but 5 is abit too much, next dives will use 4pd.

Overall as a BoB, I think this will work awesome, as its pretty foolproof, except flooding, since the unit is manual.

Configuration. GS slung on left, 2 30's slung on right (banded together) with OC regs for backup. For redundancy/gas supply, I think a pair of 30's is better than a pair of 19's.

Kinks to work out.

ADV firing on descent. Need to adj adv even lower, so only fires when really bottomed. Kind of annoying when I adjust buoyancy, and then the BoB adv fires, and I get floaty. Adv was also firing on ascent, even after I dumped air out of the counterlung. As an experiment, I'll shut off dil on ascent, and see how that works. If so, I may just put an inline shutoff on the adv line.

Running hoses. With a hose from dil > adv, and another hose from 3 button MAV to head, need to get those tucked away better.

Holding DSV as a BoB. Tried a reg keeper, didnt hold it well. Rob Neto gave me an idea I'll try this weekend, using a bungie reg necklace, I think that might work Needs to be easily deployed. I have a bolt snap and D ring on the GS now, but I dont think this is a good way to do it.

Better procedure to dump air out of counterlungs on ascent. I can sort of reach the dump, but its abit difficult. More practice required.

Routing fischer cable from BoB to Petrel on left arm. Something to secure the cable I can do without my buddy having to help.

Where to mount 3 button MAV for easy access.

Overall, using a BoB, you have an additional air/buoyancy device to manage. With its own adv, it can kick on whenever, and you have to listen for it and quickly adjust. I'm hoping with the adv turned down lower, this will become less of an issue. Will know on next dives.

If I can remember, I'll shoot some pictures.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Hi Jeff -

The stuff about managing the air space I can completely understand. Proper venting and maintaining loop volume on ascent and descent is critical, even when not using the BOB. But the stuff about hose routing, Fischer cable and where to put the 3-button MAV should really be non-issues. Right now you're diving it in test mode as if it is your primary. But in real situations you want the thing as tucked away as possible since (with any luck) it won't be used at all. So I wouldn't worry about that stuff. If you have to deploy it, you're gonna have bigger issues to worry about than if the hoses are properly tucked in. I would probably strap the Petrel and the MAV to the SK as if it was a completely independent unit rather than having any of it on me. That gives the additional benefit of being able to pass it off to someone in need or to get rid of it quickly at the surface or if anything dictates it. Same thing for the hoses that connect to the twin 30s you have on the other side. The faster you can ditch the whole thing, the more compact the arrangement would be for diving. So I would keep than mindset rather than how to configure it best for using it.

Just the ramblings of my warped mind.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Meg

KISS

I think itd be a big cluster to try and hand it off. Doable, but a rats nest of hoses. If the MAV was attached to the GS, you'd have 3 or 4 hoses running across your body, rather than 2.

The only hoses now across my body are the 2 connections to the head, which can be disconnected. The Mav stays on the tanks.

Its not a bad idea to leave the Petrel on the GS, rather than my arm, once its actually a BoB, but I think a better idea to keep on the arm at all times, to once and awhile check. Dunno, good arguments either way.

I was going to shorten the MAV hoses, but you got me to thinking about MAV on RH side, if I'm scootering on a bail out as right hand is tied up on the scooter. I'll have to think about routing with this in mind as well.

Meg

KISS

2 dives yesterday to 180ft, first with a a bailout to 150, second to same depth as a Bob (no bailout).

WOB at 150 was great, no issues at all.

Routing, etc is mostly figured out.

ADV throttled down, seems good now, no fires on ascent this time.

Biggest hurdle right now is getting air out of the darned thing on ascents when running as a BoB.

The OPV is at 6 o'clock, so you either have to unclip the ass end to get it vertical, or go vertical yourself to burp. I dont have an easy way to undo the DSV, and re-attach it with dry gloves, etc on, that is still quickly deployable. I have an idea there with a magnet that might work, or I may change the orientation of the ADV to 12 o'clock and see how that vents. At depth, its no big deal to get abit vertical to vent, but above 40ft getting vertical can cause problems fast when everything starts to expand at once. It was rather a struggle a few times. At this point I'm running the same weighting as a pair of 80's.
    Last edited by Jeff Pack; 6th January 2014 at 02:01.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

How are you positioning the loop? Any chance of easily burping the DSV on ascent without flooding?
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Meg

KISS

That's the issue, is a way to stow the dsv that is secure, yet easily deployable. Clipping is not a good option for emergency deployment, yet secure. Also clipping is abit difficult to reattach with thick gloves.

I have an idea with magnet setup and clip, that works to clip unclip, and for emergency deployment, just yank it. Then burping would work. Use a fixed d ring on the canister.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast