+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Considering a rebreather need advice

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Re: Considering a rebreather need advice

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Some of which will give you hundreds and hundreds of dives without a problem while others have been know to have serious problems with the HH electronics. Like anything else with complicated electronics, there are lemons. So first decide if you want mCCR or eCCR or hCCR and also if you want BMCL or FMCL or TOSCL. Those decisions will narrow the field better than listening to this Monkey snot.
    Ken, I'll keep this short for you. Cracked heads due to poor thread design and spacing in the Delrin.

I lost count how many there have been.

And the factory's response???? USER ERROR.

WTF......EVER

Ken, we do not need to argue this point, just look around at the number of people who used to dive that unit that no longer do.

The OPTIMA has clearly TANKED.
    Monkey Diver Inc.
    Monkey Diver Travel Inc.
    http://www.monkeydiver.com

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

This subject always creates a huge debate over which rebreather is best so you're going to get a lot of biased posts and rightly so......We all trust our rebreather to keep us alive so of course it's the best!!!

My advise to anyone interested in getting into rebreather diving is to go and look at as many units as you can and see for yourself each units idiosyncrasies as you perceive them...... there are a lot of good features on every rebreather......Each manufacturer looks at the potential risks (as they perceive them) and address how they deal with the risks in the design of their rebreather so not every rebreather is suited to every diver....... Every one of us is different. Take on board the features you're being shown but remember the sales attendant is most likely trying to sell you this rebreather!! There are a lot of very capable rebreathers out there and focus on what you NEED for the type of diving you're going to be using it for.

Then those units you like, ask to take each one for a test dive and get involved with the pre and post dive routines so you can see what's involved with preparing it, diving it and post dive. You'll also see for yourself any potential issues you might have had earlier when you were just looking at it. Can it deal with a partial flood and expel the water, how does it perform should it loose a sensor or a handset, what happens to the work of breathing if I have to go upside down and what redundancy does it have. These are some of the things you won't necessarily be overly concerned with at first but will become more critical once you get to dive the unit.

And then if you still have some reservations, ask if you can do the training on the unit you think is the one for you before you buy it. This is where you'll really get to see if the unit and the way it's dived is the way you want to dive and how the unit performs when things go well and terribly wrong. By the time you've completed the course you'll know if it's for you or not without paying a lot of money for something you may not necessarily like but are now stuck with it.

There are many good rebreather dive shops and instructors out there who will gladly take you for a try dive and will let you conduct your training on one of their units before you buy your own.

I hope this helps and good luck with your choice. Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Lance

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey  View Original Post
    With all due respect, I disagree with this statement for the most part.

1: Don't buy the cheapest, buy the most reliable unit as your first. If you buy cheap and it breaks down all the time then you're going to get a really bad first impression of Rebreathers. Case in point is you can find really cheap Optimas. I think its a complete waste of time to go battle with a worn out unit, and then after getting all pissed off at it, go buy new. (realize buying the most expensive does not mean you get reliability)

2: defining the Meg as complex is simply wrong. The Meg has a set point controller that's it. It shares the same fundamental design of most over the shoulder units. And its built military tough. On top of that you can go COPIS if you want an MCCR, that alone will save you money and it will give you a platform to build on.

3: any Rebreather requires much time on them to move forward with confidence.

4: the KISS units are cost effective but you need to realize that they do not come with electronics. so the pricing can be a little misleading, No hud..... more money...... secondary hand set......more money.

5: saying one unit is more expensive to fix versus others is also misleading, they are all frigin expensive when it comes to having key parts fixed or replaced at the factory. The caveat to that though is your location. if the factory is in another country shipping alone can eat you alive.

6: some units do travel better than others, I really enjoy diving the EVO but its not going in the plane with me as carry on.

7: any unit you commit to you need to stick with untill diving a rebreather becomes second nature. buying a cheapo unit "just to try it out" then changing gears into a different unit is flawed logic.

Go find people who dive rebreathers, pool dive as many units as you can. Then do the pool dive AGAIN. Call the factory's and see how they treat you.

But the most important decision you make is INSTRUCTOR not unit. I cannot stress this enough....
    Have some green best advice yet!

As soon as someone posts what rebreather to get it always ends in a pissing match. I bought used, but very well maintained and like new evolution. There were no Meg, rEvo, JJ, HH, or Padi instructors here in Ontario Canada when I made my decision. I didn't want to travel to the East coast or U.S. I wanted to do my training where I dived and in conditions I most likely would be diving in and by people who also dive here. Inspo and Kiss are popular here they take the cold beating of winters here and everywhere you look you see them, so having dive buddies with the same unit is nice as well. Not to say I think mine is any better than the next. I never had an issue, had cells replaced within a week, parts in a week and one hell of a good instructor who took time, put me up at his place, and when asked, pushed me hard. My instructor lives an hour away, so making advancement easy when I move up in MODS. That was a big part of my decision. Doesn't mean it's the right one for everyone else.

Mel almost had me in a Meg and I would have been happy that way as well. It just was logistics that swayed my decision. Just food for thought :)

Do your research. Take your time.
    Last edited by RSmith; 3rd January 2014 at 04:40.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

.... snip.....

I respectfully disagree, James....

Dive Rite continues to buy components from us like crazy. Their sales are very robust, and we continue to get calls from happy customers.

When you sell thousands of anything, you're going to get some problems. We've been pretty up-front about that. You also get some customers who just want to bitch no matter what.

I've been in this game for 17 years, and we're still around. If all we made was crap, I'd be working for WalMart by now.... (Sometimes I think that wouldn't be such a bad idea - after 17 years, I'd be Assistant Manager by now...! )

As for the original poster: The advice you've got here is good - you should try out a wide variety of units and determine which will be best for your particular diving preference/style. Don't buy the most expensive just because it sounds cool, or has a lot of features. Try to visit a shop that sells a lot of different rigs (like Peter's Add Helium), and then do your research - talk to divers, instructors, and guys on the forums like RBW. Remembering that there are partisans on all sides... lol...

One last thing: Most of the guys I know on here are on their 3rd, 4th, or even 5th rig. Whatever you start off with probably won't be the one you finish with. Enjoy the experience, stay safe, keep up with the latest news about product innovations or techniques, and most of all, HAVE FUN. That's what this sport is all about after all...

All the best,

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    I respectfully disagree, James....

Dive Rite continues to buy components from us like crazy. Their sales are very robust, and we continue to get calls from happy customers.

Welcome to Earth, and what have you done with Kevin????
    Monkey Diver Inc.
    Monkey Diver Travel Inc.
    http://www.monkeydiver.com

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Welcome to Earth, and what have you done with Kevin????

I'm still here... Though it's 2 degrees outside, with the wind blowing at 30 mph, making me wonder why I'm not shacking up with you in FL!!

Kevin.

Supporting Member Angelo A is an unknown quantity at this point Angelo A's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Considering a rebreather need advice

Interesting thread. I consider giving up my Optima and try rEvo. Am in Dubai and not he best place to own an Optima. Nothing wrong about the unit, just service and training. Not many Optima instructors around and I have to fly to Thailand (e.g.) to complete my cave. That is the cheap solution.
    Anyone to say definetly "don't trade an Optima for a rEvo"?

RBW Member FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler's Avatar
    Optima

Last edited by FergusButler; 15th January 2014 at 17:26.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Considering a rebreather need advice

Even though I've sold mine, the Optima gave me years of great service. I do think its a shame that Dive Rite puts so little into promoting it. They seem much more taken by OC sidemount.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer's Avatar
    rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

The OP joined one month ago, posted once, and has kept silent ever since... Pretty motivated RB diver candidate!