+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Considering a rebreather need advice

RBW Member christopher brown is an unknown quantity at this point christopher brown's Avatar

Re: Considering a rebreather need advice

I faced a similar dilemma recently when I decided to get back into rebreather diving. My first civilian cert was on a Inspo Classic, and I considered that route. No additional training, less start up costs (used classics are dirt cheap) but the group I currently dive was going with the Prism 2 platform so I wasn't sure which to go with. In the end I ended up going with the Prism 2 for a number of reasons ranging from the fact that we have 5 in our group to international support, ease of travel, use of shearwater, etc and I was able to get a new one for very good pricing. I am not unhappy with my decision but looking back I would have made my decision differently possibly coming to the same conclusion. I looked at a number of facilities for training and decided to go with Gregg Stanton of Wakulla Diving Center due to proximity, his experience with multiple platforms, and the length of his class (8 days compared to 4). Gregg is probably one of the few people in the world that owns mult. platforms, has logged the hours and is certified to train on all the platforms he owns. I decided to go through a full course rather than a crossover, 8 days of classroom and 6 days in the water with close to 900 mins of open water bottom time. He offers his students the ability to try any platform he owns; Sentinel, Ouroboros, Kiss Sport, Kiss Classic, Meg, Pathfinder, Prism 2, Optima, Hollis Explorer, Inspiration Classic, Inspiration Vision, etc. Pretty sure I left a couple out. I guess I have gone around my elbow to make my point but it comes down to this. If you can travel to an instructor then I recommend you find one that has multiple platforms and the CV to train on them, so you can make a truly informed decision. In my opinion the first 4 days of a MOD I course should introduce you to the idea of rebreathers and give you the info to make an informed decision about what you are looking for while trying a few out in the pool and open water, the final 4 days should give you a level of comfort on your chosen platform. I am sure others will disagree with me but this is just my opinion.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    I dive and teach both units. The prism 2 has a very well proven electronics package but so does the meg. The meg can also be optionally fitted with Shearwater same as the prism 2. The tanks on the meg attach to a solid metal can which makes it a much more rigid structure and stronger all round unit. The counterlungs are slightly longer on the meg but also narrower and less prone to twisting than the P2. The requirement to remove the head to turn the meg on is a slight annoyance but hardly enough to make a big difference.
    Both units break down and travel real well. I would hardly say the P2 travels better as someone said above because that just ain't so.
    The reliability of the meg is far superior to the P2 as I have had over 1000 dives on the meg and only missed one or two dives due to rebreather issues.
    The support network for the P2 is probably better in most areas and I do expect the P2 will soon outsell the meg by a wide margin. I also expect the QC issues will soon be resolved with the P2 once they are more established.

Right now I personally would get the meg. I may feel different in a year but who knows.

How much does the all metal meg weigh striped to travel?

How much does the plastic P2 weigh?

That was my key point in terms of travel. Both will fit in an overhead bag but when every KG counts? then the P2 has the edge

ATB

Mark

RBW Member Lee Stroke is an unknown quantity at this point Lee Stroke's Avatar
    Revo

Buy what your dive buddies are using, especially if you have a local instructor and vendor. After a couple of years you will be able to decide what you like or don’t like. Both units are fine.

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Try dive a few, it's a big investment.... Local support, servicing and traveling with the unit were some of my concerns. You will find many pros and cons about brands of rebreathers....like any other piece of dive gear, opinions vary. End result what best fits you....just MHO....

RBW Member rongoodman is an unknown quantity at this point rongoodman's Avatar
    Prism 2

I'm a new rebreather diver and Prism 2 owner. Given that I have no other experience to compare it with, I'm happy with it so far. My local shop sold me the unit, so I have quick access to support. It travels well, and will allow me to pursue my diving with it as far as I want to go(at this time, probably MOD 2 and a cave cross-over card.) I'm still waiting for a set of the small lungs from Hollis, and it needs a stand. I don't understand your concerns about the scrubber--it packs easily and certainly doesn't feel fragile to me. I added the BOV after I bought it and like it. I attach it to be bailout bottle with a quick disconnect.

If you already have a trimix cert, you can do your training with an IANTD instructor and run it with a normoxic mix from the start. I was happy with Mark Derrick from Dive Gear Express--he was very patient with my initial fumbles, but it was the hardest course I've ever taken.

I do agree with a previous poster about the tank mounting. If an after-market frame showed up with a more solid means of attachment, I would seriously consider it.
    Last edited by rongoodman; 31st December 2013 at 15:41.

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

here are a couple crappy pics, the black stand was cobbled together as it was the first one built and needed to have some pieces added in order to stay up when the tanks and bplate were attached, this was adjusting to the center of gravity. The first pic shows the last two stands as I had cut the pieces and started to dry assemble them. They aint pretty but they work great.
    Attached Images

RBW Member AdrianSmith is an unknown quantity at this point AdrianSmith's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

Considering a rebreather need advice

Here's my stand. Fabricated from aluminum plate. I considered making them to sell but noone seemed all that interested when I posted about them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388559603.240006.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388559667.993769.jpg

-Adrian

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

Quote Originally Posted by wrecked  View Original Post
    Buy the cheapest one you can find that works then do a course, dive it then decide what suits you best and buy a new one.

My recommendation would be KISS for a newbie because they're not complex and easy to service and pull down. New spirit looks great.

Meg's & Prisms are both complex units which require much time spent on them to move forward and be confident, but everyone's different so don't take my word for it.

Starfish is right about Inspo except their electronics to replace is expensive when it fails.
    I have always done the course first, on a rental unit (included in the course price) before buying a unit.

Buying a unit, and then doing the course seems very backwards to me.
    What if you didnt like the unit? Then you would lose a lot of money, and go through a sh!tload of hassle to sell it again.

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Quote Originally Posted by wrecked  View Original Post
    Buy the cheapest one you can find that works then do a course, dive it then decide what suits you best and buy a new one.

My recommendation would be KISS for a newbie because they're not complex and easy to service and pull down. New spirit looks great.

Meg's & Prisms are both complex units which require much time spent on them to move forward and be confident, but everyone's different so don't take my word for it.

Starfish is right about Inspo except their electronics to replace is expensive when it fails.
    With all due respect, I disagree with this statement for the most part.

1: Don't buy the cheapest, buy the most reliable unit as your first. If you buy cheap and it breaks down all the time then you're going to get a really bad first impression of Rebreathers. Case in point is you can find really cheap Optimas. I think its a complete waste of time to go battle with a worn out unit, and then after getting all pissed off at it, go buy new. (realize buying the most expensive does not mean you get reliability)

2: defining the Meg as complex is simply wrong. The Meg has a set point controller that's it. It shares the same fundamental design of most over the shoulder units. And its built military tough. On top of that you can go COPIS if you want an MCCR, that alone will save you money and it will give you a platform to build on.

3: any Rebreather requires much time on them to move forward with confidence.

4: the KISS units are cost effective but you need to realize that they do not come with electronics. so the pricing can be a little misleading, No hud..... more money...... secondary hand set......more money.

5: saying one unit is more expensive to fix versus others is also misleading, they are all frigin expensive when it comes to having key parts fixed or replaced at the factory. The caveat to that though is your location. if the factory is in another country shipping alone can eat you alive.

6: some units do travel better than others, I really enjoy diving the EVO but its not going in the plane with me as carry on.

7: any unit you commit to you need to stick with untill diving a rebreather becomes second nature. buying a cheapo unit "just to try it out" then changing gears into a different unit is flawed logic.

Go find people who dive rebreathers, pool dive as many units as you can. Then do the pool dive AGAIN. Call the factory's and see how they treat you.

But the most important decision you make is INSTRUCTOR not unit. I cannot stress this enough....
    Last edited by Monkey; 2nd January 2014 at 21:30.
    Monkey Diver Inc.
    Monkey Diver Travel Inc.
    http://www.monkeydiver.com

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey  View Original Post
    Case in point is you can find really cheap Optimas.
    Some of which will give you hundreds and hundreds of dives without a problem while others have been know to have serious problems with the HH electronics. Like anything else with complicated electronics, there are lemons. So first decide if you want mCCR or eCCR or hCCR and also if you want BMCL or FMCL or TOSCL. Those decisions will narrow the field better than listening to this Monkey snot.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast