+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Considering a rebreather need advice

Lightbulb Considering a rebreather need advice

Hello everyone I've currently decided to make the switch to a rebreather and would like to know which one should i buy I've done some research and i narrowed it down to 2 choices the ISC Megalodon and the Hollis Prism 2 but now im stuck i don't know which one to choose they both look like great units I like the fact the Meg is a proven unit that is capable of some really serious dives this is really nice since im planning on progressing to more serious trimix diving but im also aware there been some issues with megs over the years and that puts me off a bit on the other side the prism 2 is a relatively new unit but looks pretty capable the people i usually dive with all have prism 2 and they love it and say its fantastic the only thing i don't like about it is the scrubber now I've actually never dived a rebreather so im no expert but it doesn't look very solid and i don't like the fact they didn't really pushed the testing of the scrubber but again im based only on numbers so i was wondering if anyone that has both units or has some experience with them can put me on the right track i would really like to hear your opinion on the matter, money is not really an issue but i know that just because something is more expensive it doesn't make it better, hope to get some feedback and sorry for the long post :)

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Considering a rebreather need advice

1. You should buy <whatever unit I own> because it's the best.
    2. All replies following this one will be repeats of point 1.

My approach recently went like this:
    - I don't know much about rebreathers.
    - I can read specs until the cows come home, but until I've dived one a fair bit I won't know which specs are and aren't important to my style of diving.
    - So I can't really compare them.
    - Everyone recommends their own unit because they love it, and no-one wants to admit to even themselves "I just dropped ten grand on an utter piece of sh1t!".

So? I bought an Inspiration Classic. I know it isn't the rebreather that solves everything. But it's a cheap unit, easy to re-sell (so very little financial risk), I know an instructor here that I don't need to travel to see, there's a good group of guys locally with whom I can share spare parts.

This way I get to dive a rebreather for a year or so, and work out what is and isn't important to me. If the classic can't do what I want it to do then I can flog it, do a crossover and buy something based on comparison of specs that now mean something to me.

Just a thought, you may find it helps with your own priorities.

Oh yeah, and buy an Inspo Classic coz they're the best. ;)

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Both are over the sholder counterlung units with the Hollis looking to be a little less on the front than the Meg.

I personaly dont like the fact you have to take the head off the meg to switch it on and id only get a meg with Shearwater displays.

Id defo go for the Hollis of your choice of two because its easier to travel with and I travel frequently and cant afford a seporate travel unit

Id also go for the Hollis bassded on the fact you dive in a Hollis group and this will make every thing from safety protacols to taking spares away on trips, much easier

The Hollis has the SHearwater HUD and Shearwater controller which is the bench mark of a good unit today IMHO

BUT much as I like the look of the Hollis I have never dived one personaly.

I dive a JJ and I used to dive rEvo, KISS, Hammer Head & Inspo Classic

I personaly prefer rear mounted counterlungs but aside from that I very much like the design of the Hollis

ATB

Mark

Wrecked wrecked is on a distinguished road wrecked is on a distinguished road wrecked's Avatar
    rEvoIIIStd

KISS, rEvoIII

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone  View Original Post
    Hello everyone I've currently decided to make the switch to a rebreather and would like to know which one should i buy I've done some research and i narrowed it down to 2 choices the ISC Megalodon and the Hollis Prism 2
    Buy the cheapest one you can find that works then do a course, dive it then decide what suits you best and buy a new one.

My recommendation would be KISS for a newbie because they're not complex and easy to service and pull down. New spirit looks great.

Meg's & Prisms are both complex units which require much time spent on them to move forward and be confident, but everyone's different so don't take my word for it.

Starfish is right about Inspo except their electronics to replace is expensive when it fails.

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

What things, have you concerned about the MEG?

If you're even remotely interested in a MEG, then look at the pathfinder.

The electronics are significantly more advanced on the Pathfinder than they are on the Meg.

I own both.
    Monkey Diver Inc.
    Monkey Diver Travel Inc.
    http://www.monkeydiver.com

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by wrecked  View Original Post
    Starfish is right about Inspo except their electronics to replace is expensive when it fails.
    QFT. The classics are a gamble - will you move it on to a new owner before you get caught with cracked handsets, will you get wallet raped for getting new ones or will you end up with crazy half breed thing with an inspo bucket, KISS valve and some random solenoid and setpoint controller? :)

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

I dive and teach both units. The prism 2 has a very well proven electronics package but so does the meg. The meg can also be optionally fitted with Shearwater same as the prism 2. The tanks on the meg attach to a solid metal can which makes it a much more rigid structure and stronger all round unit. The counterlungs are slightly longer on the meg but also narrower and less prone to twisting than the P2. The requirement to remove the head to turn the meg on is a slight annoyance but hardly enough to make a big difference.
    Both units break down and travel real well. I would hardly say the P2 travels better as someone said above because that just ain't so.
    The reliability of the meg is far superior to the P2 as I have had over 1000 dives on the meg and only missed one or two dives due to rebreather issues.
    The support network for the P2 is probably better in most areas and I do expect the P2 will soon outsell the meg by a wide margin. I also expect the QC issues will soon be resolved with the P2 once they are more established.

Right now I personally would get the meg. I may feel different in a year but who knows.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

You should get an Optima. Just to irritate Monkey.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

Daniel, where are you located? The continued instruction/help/support are things I try to provide after a class. If you are diving with a bunch of P2 divers and the instructor is available to answer questions at anytime then that should have some value also.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Considering a rebreather need advice

Personally I'm never touching another rebreather until it's been out at least 2 years and has hundreds if unit sales and plenty of feedback.

Why? Because all new models suffer from teething issues and end up with changes, upgrades etc and also the training often isn't sufficiently bedded in. I'd rather be taught by someone who's done dozens of classes on said unit and had tweaked the class accordingly.

Something like the meg has been around since the Roman Empire and is a proven unit with superb build quality. Get it with a shearwater as has been suggested.

The classics are the cheapest route into CCR on the used market for sure.

Did you say you were buying new or used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast