+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vandenberg Wreck

RBW Member Cobby is an unknown quantity at this point Cobby's Avatar
    Evolution, Pathfinder

Inspiration

Vandenberg Wreck

Hi list,

I am a French CCR instructor on AP rebreather. I plan to be in Florida third week of January with my rebreather but without the tanks.
    Can you give me some advise on a rebreather friendly scuba center to dive the Vanderberg ? Last time I was in the keys I saw it at the pier. It would be nice to dive it now.

Thanks,

Chris

Spree Driver wookie will become famous soon enough wookie will become famous soon enough wookie will become famous soon enough wookie's Avatar

Re: Vandenberg Wreck

Try Finz Dive Center in Hurricane Hole Marina on Stock Island. If they don't have rental cylinders, I do...

Supporting Member quietmike is an unknown quantity at this point quietmike's Avatar
    rEvo micro

Evolution+

I just called finz and and spoke to some woman, they do not support rebreather's? Is there anyone in Key West that we could rent tanks from as we will have our Revos with us and would love to dive the Vandenberg. Just no tanks or sorb… Help!

We will be in key west from June 26 through June 28 two weeks away…

RBW Member Lee Stroke is an unknown quantity at this point Lee Stroke's Avatar
    Revo

Make sure you can find a rebreather friendly dive boat too.

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

How many tanks and how much sorb do you need?

Peter

RBW Member slim18 is an unknown quantity at this point slim18's Avatar
    Evolution

I
    Last edited by slim18; 13th June 2015 at 22:41.

RBW Member Pat O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point Pat O'Brien's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

If you flying into south florida and driving down to Key West, try Horizon Divers up in Key Largo Dan can take care of your needs. getting your O2 filled will be the tough part. I've been out with Capt's corner but they couldn't fill my O2 tanks.

RBW Member NYCMEGDIVER is an unknown quantity at this point NYCMEGDIVER's Avatar
    ISC Megladon

Get in touch with Dan at Horizon Divers in Key Largo, he can help you out with tanks and sorb. His number is 305-453-3535. Check with the boat in Key West and make sure they are Rebreather Friendly, you'll be surprised how many aren't.

Supporting Member quietmike is an unknown quantity at this point quietmike's Avatar
    rEvo micro

Evolution+

Thanks! Will make the calls tomorrow.

rEvo micro

Evolution+

Just for everyone's a reference, we were successful in getting down to Key West and on the Vandenberg on our rebreathers. We spent a fantastic week up in pompano beach with the Add Helium team getting our tri-mix cert. Training second to none and very well coordinated. Getting tremendous knowledge and had a lot of fun on those local deep wrecks.

As far as the Vandenberg goes, Andrew at silent world diving got us 2 sets of tanks and sorb. Completely hassle free, picked them up on Friday and returned on Sunday, on the way back to airport. We contacted lost reef divers in Key West and they were very accommodating and able to take us out. Very friendly and open to rebreathers. They were great.

We must have called every other dive shop in key west. before them with no luck. Most wanted nothing to do rebreather's. One was already full with a private charter. One wasn't going to the Vandenberg that day. One place we contacted said they would take us and then couple hours later called us back and said their insurance wouldn't allow rebreathers…
    It did take some calling around…

This was a bit of an exploratory trip. In the end when we go back to the keys we will work and Dive with the businesses that seemed open and very accommodating. We stopped at a number of places as we transited the keys. Certainly we didn't stop at all of them, but the places of note that we did contact that were open to rebreather's and diving with their operations were:
    Key Largo – silent world
    Marathon – halls diving center
    Key Largo – lost reef divers

Thanks to all that provided the advice and warnings, but just heading down to key west renting some tanks and hopping on A boat was not quite that easy. Due to your forewarning we salvaged a couple of good on the Vandenberg! We also discovered other dive sites along the way and other wrecks that we must go back and check out with those other operations. thanks again to everyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast