RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar
    Vision Inspiration all options

kiss poseidon lard ....

Wink Re: The Silver Box of Death (SBOD)

Hi

silver box great article congrats.

Franck

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    The old Inspiration Classic is a great way to get into the rebreather scene. Cheap (relatively), extremely wide range of performance and depth straight out of the box, quite well laid out and a good diver.

For me, personally, though? That yellow box had to go. It looks like balls. It only takes certain cylinder sizes (meaning I couldn't use my spare pony bottles as dive cylinders). And bashing through reef chasing crays I'd give it a month before it broke - even if it didn't, it would look like utter shit within three dives.

So time for something new. After looking at a bunch of aftermarket frames, whining about the price and layout of them, I decided to do my usual trick and spend four times as much money and ten times as long doing my own.

Started with an aluminium back frame with just a cross piece to hold the tanks.

Part assembled

Ready to dive

This was fine for taking on a trip and knocking a couple of kilos off the weight of the unit. But everything flopped around and there was no protection for the canister. It did let me use different cylinders, but apart from that it kinda sucked.

Time for round two.

Wrecked wrecked is on a distinguished road wrecked is on a distinguished road wrecked's Avatar
    rEvoIIIStd

KISS, rEvoIII

Re: The Silver Box of Death (SBOD)

Nice work Starfish!

And u made Mark a convert, impressive.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Cheers @wrecked

He needed a new box for a homebuild, I think this hit a sweet spot and he did have a fair bit of input into it. The big surprise was getting Ewan on board with Kato!

RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar
    Vision Inspiration all options

kiss poseidon lard ....

Talking Re: The Silver Box of Death (SBOD)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Cheers @wrecked

He needed a new box for a homebuild, I think this hit a sweet spot and he did have a fair bit of input into it. The big surprise was getting Ewan on board with Kato!
    You want like say "Thomas" ?

Franck

RBW Member Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz's Avatar

Just to let you know that the design still works a treat. A minor modification of not bending the base to 90° but slightly less. Gives the unit a rakish angle and puts the centre of gravity bang right so it doesn't topple.

Thank you for the CAD drawings. Made life very easy.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Nice !!!

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

RBW Member Wildfire20uk is an unknown quantity at this point Wildfire20uk's Avatar
    Inspo Evo

Inspo Classic

Hi all,

I finally got around to measuring up and drawing the modifications I made to Captain Starfish's original plans for the SBOD, see attached.

things to note, I created the rod frame freehand so if you are going to use these plans please first do a scale mockup with wire, and cardboard for the metal plate and check that it will all fit correctly before having anything made.
    Attached Files

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Nice looking cover!

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member Wildfire20uk is an unknown quantity at this point Wildfire20uk's Avatar
    Inspo Evo

Inspo Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Nice looking cover!

Best regards,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2