+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Silver Box of Death (SBOD)

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

The Silver Box of Death (SBOD)

The old Inspiration Classic is a great way to get into the rebreather scene. Cheap (relatively), extremely wide range of performance and depth straight out of the box, quite well laid out and a good diver.

For me, personally, though? That yellow box had to go. It looks like balls. It only takes certain cylinder sizes (meaning I couldn't use my spare pony bottles as dive cylinders). And bashing through reef chasing crays I'd give it a month before it broke - even if it didn't, it would look like utter shit within three dives.

So time for something new. After looking at a bunch of aftermarket frames, whining about the price and layout of them, I decided to do my usual trick and spend four times as much money and ten times as long doing my own.

Started with an aluminium back frame with just a cross piece to hold the tanks.

Part assembled

Ready to dive

This was fine for taking on a trip and knocking a couple of kilos off the weight of the unit. But everything flopped around and there was no protection for the canister. It did let me use different cylinders, but apart from that it kinda sucked.

Time for round two.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: The Silver Box of Death (SBOD)

So what next? Need a shell over the top, and maybe get the tank mounts onto the side of the shell facing out rather than at the back facing back.

Hand bent aluminium - if it looks like it was hit with a hammer, well, yeah: welcome to the Starfish shed.

And ready for a dive.

As prototypes go, this one was pretty good. It lacked finesse, the foot tended to twist and bend, nothing quite lined up and so considerable "massaging" was required to get the lid on and off but I've dived this rig a fair bit and it was a great proof of concept.

But time to tidy things up, time for round three.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Drawing time!

Time to get a little bit more serious and lay this out properly, taking measurements from the prototype and making adjustments throughout.

After seeing the neat click-clack tank mounts on Chriso's rEvo and redseadiver's disco I decided to have a crack myself this time around, too.

A week later and it's back from the laser cutters. Another week later and the local sheetmetal fabricators have run the flat cut sheet through various torture devices to bend it all up, and I got this home. Very exciting stuff!

All assembled, ready for the guts. And glory!

Then disaster struck. This may look nearly done but it ain't - I missed the knurled screw on the canister, and I forgot to allow an extra 5-6mm per bend for the bend radius. I also realised that when the tank plates were locked in position, I wouldn't be able to reach their releases! D'OH!

Ah well, I did kind of expect this first one would be a throwaway.

Time for Round four.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re-adjusted the sizing, including allowing enough clearance for the bucket to lift in and out from the back rather than the top. Re-thought the tank catch plates, too. The stainless seemed either way too strong or, push it just a little bit further, and it bent rather than springing. This means much longer springs required but I didn't have the room.

Hmmm.

Well how about "coiling" the spring but in two dimensions? At the same time my mate at the laser cutters said he could do some test cuts in scrap for me - saving me the whole $350 go-around each iteration. Nice!

Yaaaas, it fits now!

The new tank plates have separate tabs for locking vs for the hose clamps, so one can fold around the tank whilst the others stay flat.

Super sexy spring catch time.

That spring was too loose. And the back of it was horrible from close up double passes with the laser. So we went through a couple more iterations to sort that out.

Then time for round five.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

WOO HOO!

Another round through the laser and bender guys and put it together. Assembly photos look the same as the last ones, so won't bother repeating. But yesterday I got to dive this:

And the tank catches like this

Unit is rock solid, spent a few hours bashing around through tight holes and under narrow ledges chasing crays at Rotto yesterday and, for the first time since heading down this rebreather journey, I have felt no nervousness about damaging gear.

Of course there could be a round six - I want to lighten it up a bit for starters. All that stainless comes in at a hefty 4.5kg. Great for what I want but not so good as a travel frame. I want to tweak the cylinder positioning to accommodate even bigger cylinders if required. And there are a few other minor tweaks to make it even betterer. But it's reached the point where I will dive this baby happily and don't feel the need to push any further down the road of development.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

BTW, a few Perth Western Australia guys are looking to do a production run on these. We may be able to get the weight from 4.5kg down to 3.5kg by making the cover a little thinner and aluminium. Personally, I like the 4.5kg for anything but travel - it's tough as my Aunt Jack and, similarly, will take more of a beating than anyone I know can hand to it and bounce back for more.

The starfish is coz Captain Starfish. If you're interested we can laser cut or even just laser etch your own design on there. Looking at AUD450 plus postage plus a little more for the aluminium version (has to be anodised) and, if you want any more detailed design on the back, it might cost AUD30 more for the extra time on the laser.

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

Mate that is a work of pure art! Nice job indeed!

RBW Member waz2068 is an unknown quantity at this point waz2068's Avatar
    Inspo Classic MCCR

Classic Kiss

Hi Capt... that looks very interesting. Can you tell me how did you find the trim on your test dive. Like most I find my standard box to be tail heavy (as well as falling apart) and have to place weights in the top pocket to achieve some sort of acceptable trim. With the tanks exposed of course one could always add trim pockets to the tanks... woohoo so much easier.

Keep posting please as I'm quite interested. If you guys decide to do a production run in the near future please PM me or post here.

Warren

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I know exactly what you mean by the trim, I guess Martin Parker did too - hence the pocket on top for the weights.

On the version one simple job I cam banded 6lb of weight (turned out a little much) to the top of each cylinder. But it's a pain.

This one: no need. That set of six holes on the top cover is for counterweights to zip tie in place but I found I didn't need 'em with the stainless cover.

6-9lb on my belt for the drysuit and I'm golden. Trims out nicely. But there's somewhere to top trim and the belt for bottom trim if it's not quite right.

Deffo going to do a production run in the next few weeks, mebbe PM me if you want to sort out any details and get on board...

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I've had such an easy time diving and working with the SBOD that a few fellow divers put their hands up to own one too.

Today we put them together and all ready to go.

Sadly, I'm not going to be able to make any more of these but if anyone's interested the drawings etc are here: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=48710

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast