+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

  1. #1
    RBW Member Mudfish is an unknown quantity at this point Mudfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lower Rhine Area
    Posts
    28
    UBS40pro

    (Ray)

    What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    On the premiss that spending above 1500€ is out of the question, what do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    I dive mostly fresh water lakes from 5-20m
    and occasionally a little bit deeper.

    I have a Ray but I think it is too tangly when set up with extra bailout bottle and extra drysuit inflation.

  2. #2
    RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cádiz (Spain)
    Posts
    450

    Re: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    Two out of two people I know that own an UBS40 do not use it, so the units are just kept rusting in a warehouse.

    I did a try dive once, and WOB was high and trim horrible. But it was just a try dive.

    As a side question, why do you use a RB on that depth range? I would be just going OC.

  3. #3
    RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cádiz (Spain)
    Posts
    450

    Re: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    Just by chance, found an ad from one of the people that I know, he is selling his unit;

    MIL ANUNCIOS.COM - Rebreather UBS 40

  4. #4
    RBW Member Mudfish is an unknown quantity at this point Mudfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lower Rhine Area
    Posts
    28
    UBS40pro

    (Ray)

    Re: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by andrespp  View Original Post
    (1) Two out of two people I know that own an UBS40 do not use it, so the units are just kept rusting in a warehouse.

    (2) I did a try dive once, and WOB was high and trim horrible. But it was just a try dive.

    (3) As a side question, why do you use a Rebreather on that depth range? I would be just going OC.
    Lez me start with (3): there is no proper reason for it other than that I am really fascinated by them. My first idea was to dive a Castoro c96, that is a puro O2 rebreather, but they are impossible to get and it would be impossible to dive wih buddies who go beyond 6m. I dive alone. But I do want to dive with others too. So the reason is not quite clear to myself. I think they are fascinating things. And I like to go beyond what I already know.

    (2) I am worried about the WOB but not so much. As for the trim: I dive a RAY in cold water on shallow depth. That is a trimming masterclass in and of itself: three bladders (drysuit, bcd, scr) and one of them, the scr is constantly filling up, purging, filling up, purging. If dive along the lake profile you are constantly adjusting your trim because you have no constant depth. I found that quite challenging.

    (1) So do you understand your friends to have lost interest in them because they were not really satisfied with them as SCRs or did they lose interest because they went on to nicer things?

  5. #5
    RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cádiz (Spain)
    Posts
    450

    Re: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    I tried a Draeger Dolphin once as well and found better WOB and not so terrible trim as UBS40, however needed a lot of lead to sink it.

    My friends tried the UBS40 as a posible improvement WRT their recreational OC dives. In both case, after a few dives with this RB, they went back to OC.

  6. #6
    RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,245
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

    Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

    Re: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    If this is the depth range, why not buy an Explorer by Hollis? It is also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a full CCR. I find diving shallow (3-5 m) CCR is more "difficult" compared to when going deeper. However, diving at those depths with the Explorer is cake.

    Just a thought.

    Claudia

  7. #7
    RBW Member Mudfish is an unknown quantity at this point Mudfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lower Rhine Area
    Posts
    28
    UBS40pro

    (Ray)

    Re: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    If this is the depth range, why not buy an Explorer by Hollis? It is also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a full CCR. I find diving shallow (3-5 m) CCR is more "difficult" compared to when going deeper. However, diving at those depths with the Explorer is cake.

    Just a thought.

    Claudia
    I find it difficult too, especially with a dry suit in cold water and an scr going through cycles of filling up and purging.
    But the price of a Hollis is more than thrice that of the unit offered to me. I also like that the UBS 40 has no electronics and uses normal sodalime instead of cartridges. Otherwise yes, the Hollis is nice. But it is too expensive for me.

    I dive a Ray but I find it too tangly with all the hoses running around me and it is not rigid enough when burdened with another 2L bottle of Air for trimming and another 6L for bailout, There is also no practical place to clip the bailout to.

    So I was attracted to the design of the UBS40: it would allow me to adjust CMF individually, has a normal BCD so i can put Bailout where it belongs, has a rigid frame to hang a trimming bottle to. Fits my bill, I would have thought.

    But - and that is a big but - I have only seen photos and read about it in texts that might just as well be advertising.
    So I would love to hear from someone who actually uses the UBS40 or knows a little more about it.

    Thanks
    Robert
    Last edited by Mudfish; 19th November 2013 at 19:01.

  8. #8
    RBW Member Mudfish is an unknown quantity at this point Mudfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lower Rhine Area
    Posts
    28
    UBS40pro

    (Ray)

    Re: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by andrespp  View Original Post
    I tried a Draeger Dolphin once as well and found better WOB and not so terrible trim as UBS40, however needed a lot of lead to sink it.

    My friends tried the UBS40 as a posible improvement WRT their recreational OC dives. In both case, after a few dives with this Rebreather, they went back to OC.
    Not too encouraging. Thanks. But still ...

  9. #9
    ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chartres, France
    Posts
    1,311
    Classic Kiss

    Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

    Re: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    I owned an Azimuth, nearly the same animal as the UBS40 and I could trim it:
    2 blocs of lead inside the case at the top will help you. Considering that the UBS40 has a shorter frame and only 1 tank on the lower end, I don't see how it would be more difficult to trim.
    Concerning both the WOB and trim, you need to place the rig as high on your back as you can. Only a few centimeters too low and WOB deteriorates a lot. Changing the steel tank for an aluminium one will help trimming it too.
    If you can get one for that price tag (lower than 1500€), go for it. Then consider spending a few hundreds € along the way and turn it into a ccr in less than an hour once you have the add-on components in hand.
    Philippe
    Last edited by Philippe GERIN; 19th November 2013 at 22:26.

  10. #10
    RBW Member Mudfish is an unknown quantity at this point Mudfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lower Rhine Area
    Posts
    28
    UBS40pro

    (Ray)

    Re: What do you all think of a UBS 40 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN  View Original Post
    I owned an Azimuth, nearly the same animal as the UBS40 and I could trim it:
    2 blocs of lead inside the case at the top will help you. Considering that the UBS40 has a shorter frame and only 1 tank on the lower end, I don't see how it would be more difficult to trim.
    Concerning both the WOB and trim, you need to place the rig as high on your back as you can. Only a few centimeters too low and WOB deteriorates a lot. Changing the steel tank for an aluminium one will help trimming it too.
    If you can get one for that price tag (lower than 1500€), go for it. Then consider spending a few hundreds € along the way and turn it into a ccr in less than an hour once you have the add-on components in hand.
    Philippe
    Thanks Philippe, that was a really helpful comment.

    For myself I also think that trimming won't be a problem. And thanks for explaining about the WOB.

    Do you have any experience, first or second hand, of what to do with that second entry port into the loop. As far as I understand it, you can have one or the other bottle or both filling up the CLs but the flowrate will always be the same.

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts