+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feedback Hollis Explorer

RBW Member stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey's Avatar
    Inspo, Evo, Poseidon

Inspo classic, Meg, Deep

Feedback Hollis Explorer

Hi Guys

I have a friend in the dive training business who has asked me to put this post up for him.
    He's thinking about going ahead and purchasing a couple of explores, however before he does he would just like hear any feedback from owners and instructors on how the unit performs, customer service, pros and cons etc.

Kind Regards

Stuey

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

Re: Feedback Hollis Explorer

Well, after teaching a few Explorer courses, and diving the hell out of this thing. Here is my take on it.

Pros-
    The unit does exactly what it is designed to do.
    It is very easy to dive in all recreational ranges.
    The prep and pack is very quick compared to tech RB's, especially if you have the CO2 installed.
    The electronics are very intuitive, and leave the diver with almost nothing to do except dive.
    The duration of gas and scrubber are more than enough to do NDL dives or multilevel dives back to back.
    The parts of the unit are well designed and have taken a beating and we keep on diving.
    This thing does more than some tech RB's in the way it monitors CO2 and O2.
    People who down play what it is and the price, are just people who have not dive the unit, so they speak from ignorance.

Cons-
    If you dive a Tech RB and can't relax and enjoy the dive because you need to keep adjusting and messing with things-it takes a while to get used to diving the Explorer. In other words-there is very little for the diver to do while using the Explorer and some divers will keep trying to do the things they do while diving the tech RB. It's kind of like a workaholic that gets a day off and can't figure out what to do with all the time and no pressure to get things done.

The CL's can get pinched if you don't take the time to lay them out properly in the case.

The LCV (loop control valve) can and sometime does get sorb dust in it. When this happens you find out half way thru the predive checks and you have to pull the back off and wipe it off again, then re start the predive checks again. Since this(predive) is all electronic, you start from the beginning. This is actually a good thing, but starting over is a bummer when you just want to get in the water.

The Explorer will not be happy if you violate your MOD for the inboard BO gas. Even if you can breather the loop down, the Unit will start warning you and is very insistent that you get to a more shallow depth. This is an example of the unit taking some safety issues out of the divers hands. This, again, is a good thing for a rec RB, but means you need to plan for the floor of the dive. Example for me was the Spiegel Grove, it can get to over 140 by the landing deck at the stern. I wanted to take a look under there and was promptly yelled at by the unit.

Setting the default gas will be a problem if you change gas on the next dive and do not change the setting before going in to electronic predive checks. It allows for some variance in what it expects and what the sensors measure on board, but if that is off too much, you must change it and restart the predives.

Some will see this as a Con, you can't fool this thing into doing things it does not allow. When we got our first four or five units, we wanted to find out how well these things were made and how a diver could screw up diving these things. So we started making up scenarios that were ridiculous but possible. We did our own testing. We did things (with other divers there for safety reasons) like turning the unit off and then throwing it in the pool. I swam down to the unit and donned it and began breathing. The unit turned itself on and promptly began screaming every warning it could possibly give me. It kept me alive, but was pissed off at me. We ran light trimix through it. We flooded it and recovered it. We have taken it deeper than it is supposed to go. I have put dusty sorb in it. We ran the battery down to zero. We even caught a break thru with the CO2 sensor. We did all this with appropriate bailout and safety divers watching us. The bottom line is the things cleans up and is ready for the next dive. I don't care if I get flamed for what I did, I feel, as an instructor, that I needed to actually see when and where this thing would go tits up.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ocaver  View Original Post
    Well, after teaching a few Explorer courses, and diving the hell out of this thing. Here is my take on it.
    Great write up! No flames here... Very glad to hear how it handled some of the things that you mentioned. Sounds like it's a fun rec unit... :)

Stevie Tippetts Stevie Tippetts is an unknown quantity at this point Stevie Tippetts's Avatar
    Defender

Sentinel, Evo+, rEvo, PF

Excellent write up! Thanks for posting :)

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stuey  View Original Post
    He's thinking about going ahead and purchasing a couple of explores, however before he does he would just like hear any feedback from owners and instructors on how the unit performs, customer service, pros and cons etc.
    I assume he has talked to all the dive shops and resorts that invested in Dolphins way back when and they told him about the untold millions of dollars they made selling rebreather diving to the recreational diver market.

But at half the price of a CCR, I guess that's a bargain.

RBW Member stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey's Avatar
    Inspo, Evo, Poseidon

Inspo classic, Meg, Deep

HI

Great write up

Thanks

Stuey

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by cramerdn  View Original Post
    I assume he has talked to all the dive shops and resorts that invested in Dolphins way back when and they told him about the untold millions of dollars they made selling rebreather diving to the recreational diver market.

But at half the price of a CCR, I guess that's a bargain.
    Actually the Explorer is a 21st century equivalent of the dolphin. With 3 sensors and decompression algorithm built in it has a fair but more versatility than the Dolphin.
    I personally did alright teaching and selling Draeger Dolphins back in the day.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread