+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Need info on Optima

RBW Member Jeffrey C Gershen will become famous soon enough Jeffrey C Gershen will become famous soon enough Jeffrey C Gershen will become famous soon enough Jeffrey C Gershen will become famous soon enough Jeffrey C Gershen's Avatar

Need info on Optima

Anyone have experience with the Optima? Thought I had made a decision on the Prism but I keep struggling with that 12 month lead time. Inspirations are too expensive and the Meg scares me. My goal is to go no deeper than 300 fsw. Is the Optima an option (pardon the alliteration)?

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

Re: Need info on Optima

Personally i would not take the optima that deep. Well i am not certified it, nor have i ever dove it. But i dont think the scrubber is sufficeint enough.
    Now tell me... Why does the Meg scare you?
    The YBOD is to expensive?
    The way i see it is that the Meg, Prism and YBOD are very close to each other in price. THe optima is a bit cheaper, but not that much that i would consoder it only because of the price difference.

/Jonny

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

What are the prices have you been quoted for the Insp ?

As mentioned, the Insp is very similar to the Meg and Optima. The second-hand units are even in the price range of the KISS units.

Spare parts will be easier to get, and the unit is well proven.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB
    Personally i would not take the optima that deep. Well i am not certified it, nor have i ever dove it. But i dont think the scrubber is sufficeint enough.

/Jonny
    Jonny not to hijack this thread... but what do you base the above comment on if you do not have any time on the unit??

Dive Safe....

Mark

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike
    Jonny not to hijack this thread... but what do you base the above comment on if you do not have any time on the unit??

Dive Safe....

Mark
    Hi Mark, well i base it on the limited facts i have seen that actually showes me people diving the optima to 300+feet...
    I am not 100% convinced that the scrubber is that efficient. And that is also why i stated that i have no experience not to make people think that i know better. Or that i have some hidden knowledge of this.
    But its like the Boris, everyone was talking about the scrubber duration on it, no one had any knowledge and then some guys from this board took it past 180m in a cave... Then that proved quite alot not only to me but to anyone on this board. I dont think there will ever be a discussion again about the depthlimitation on the boris... Will it?

The guy stated that he wated a unit to dive sub 300. And if he is going to lay down the cash for a RB that can do that, it would be nice to know that people are regularily doing it. That was my point.

/Jonny

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Well, it is not really a fair comment to say that people aren't doing 300+ dives on the Optima yet since it has not been out that long. I can, however, assure you that I spoke in detail about this issue with my instructor prior to electing to purchase one (and would have elected to get something else were it not adequate). I will have no qualms about diving this unit to any depth. My unit is pure joy to dive now that I am starting to know more about what I am doing.

There are a number a skeptics concerning the Extend Air Cartridge. Personally, I prefer it: No dust, and virtual elimination of caustic cocktail possibilities. The scrubber is certainly more consistent than granuals that can never be consistently packed.
    Last edited by ScubaDadMiami; 9th May 2006 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami
    Well, it is not really a fair comment to say that people aren't doing 300+ dives on the Optima yet since it has not been out that long. I can, however, assure you that I spoke in detail about this issue with my instructor prior to electing to purchase one (and would have elected to get something else were it not adequate). I will have no qualms about diving this unit to any depth. My unit is pure joy to dive now that I am starting to know more about what I am doing.

There are a number a skeptics concerning the Extend Air Cartridge. Personally, I prefer it: No dust, and virtual elimination of caustic cocktail possibilities.
    The Boris has not been out that long either... Yet the first thing they did was to test how deep they could go on it. I agree though with you, it might not be 100% fair, but if i wanted to buy a specific piece of equipment, and as he said, he wanted one that would go 300+, so then i would be on the conservative side of it. As of the dust and caustic cocktail... Doing it right when you pack a granual scrubber, you wont have it. Forget the old days when the granules were dusty. Today they are by far not as dusty as they were 5 years ago. I would not have a problem flooding my meg and draining it, just to go back on the loop, the biggest problem would be if i tear the shorter hose on the back of the unit, cause then it would go stright down the canister. in case i tear the front one and i have. I would just try to pich it close, stay in a possition where the water would enter the lung, if any at all, i would drain it and start for the surface.
    Though i would like to see people doing deep dive on the optima. And i would really like to see official comments and test protocols diving the optima deep.
    I am very impressed with Jerome and company on their Boris... Cant wait to hear more from Mike as well!

/Jonny

RBW Member Tecdiverfl is an unknown quantity at this point Tecdiverfl's Avatar

The Optima happens to be a great unit and the HH Electronics have been around for sometime. There appears to be a lot of unknowns regarding the scrubber. There is also supposed to be a larger scrubber coming out but who knows when and if it will ever be out. It seems there has been a lot of people diving the Megs deep for sometime and a lot of data on the scrubber.

It depends what you are looking to do with the unit. Both are great machines. The Optima appears to cost less then the Meg and no back log on getting them.

You need to weight the advantages and disadvantages of each unit.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Ok... Here is my last hijack....

Couple items...

1) Deep dives -- There are plenty of 250-300 fsw dives taking place with the Optima. It's just happens that there is not a lot of chatter about them on this list. The RBW list is a super resource but everyone in the world does not use it... I know that is no comparision to some of the 150m+ dives with the Boris but that's not the discussion point here.

2) The Optima technology is not "new". The electronics are well proven etc... I know that there are differing thoughts on the scrubber and so be it... There have been plenty of 250-300 fsw dives on the extended air technology. I am in total agreement that the rig does not have a long track record....

3) While the Boris is an excellent unit. It has been having it's challenges also... I am not going to spout off about them since it's to be expected with any newly designed rig. I know that Kevin G. is working on all of them.....

All good conversation and debate....

Dive Safe...

Mark

Evo Driver - no standing! fr0sty8 is an unknown quantity at this point fr0sty8's Avatar

Mark,
    In your opinion what would the max depth be for the Optima in comparison to the Meg or Inspo?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast