+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Handheld VHF Stations

Capt/ Instructor
    tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1's Avatar
    SF2 | rEvo

PRISM Topaz

Handheld VHF Stations

Hey Everyone,
    Recently I've had a lot of diver coming aboard with handheld VHF radios. (Lifelines) I've started asking people what station they have for their programmable button. It might be a good idea for anyone who has one to find out what the locally used station is before you dive.
    For example- all the dive boats I know of on the South shore of Long Island monitor 16 AND we are almost all on 19 as well. Anyone else want to chime in with their local stations if they have one?
    -Tom
    PS-I'm posting this in a few places because I think it could be a big help.
    -Capt Tom McCarthy
    Stone Rust | East Coast Wreck Diving
    SF2 | rEvo
    Training | Charters | Equipment

RBW Member Captain_Bob is an unknown quantity at this point Captain_Bob's Avatar
    Sentinel

Re: Handheld VHF Stations

I run a charter boat out of Milwaukee, WI and when someone brings one onboard I always tell them 16. Every boat out should be monitoring 16 so if I can not assist another boat can. I have also never had anyone use theirs, or heard of anyone that has needed to use it.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Isnt 16 the international distress station?

Wouldnt that be the best to use?

Capt/ Instructor
    tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1's Avatar
    SF2 | rEvo

PRISM Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Isnt 16 the international distress station?

Wouldnt that be the best to use?
    16 is best to use in an emergency or general hailing for sure... It's also a recorded station so they can play back your distress call.

However, if you just need a simple pickup it's easier to radio the dive boat on a pre-arranged working station (which you would tell them to switch to anyway if there wasn't a problem and you were carrying out a conversation) and skip the step telling them.

You start talking about being adrift at sea and giving coordinates on 16 and you may inadvertently trigger some sort of emergency response even if it's a simple prearranged pickup.

That said, you shouldn't be afraid of using 16 if there is any doubt in your mind or if the boat your hailing isn't responding on another station.

RBW Member tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47's Avatar
    AP Evo

Quote Originally Posted by tmccar1  View Original Post
    16 is best to use in an emergency or general hailing for sure... It's also a recorded station so they can play back your distress call.

However, if you just need a simple pickup it's easier to radio the dive boat on a pre-arranged working station (which you would tell them to switch to anyway if there wasn't a problem and you were carrying out a conversation) and skip the step telling them.

You start talking about being adrift at sea and giving coordinates on 16 and you may inadvertently trigger some sort of emergency response even if it's a simple prearranged pickup.

That said, you shouldn't be afraid of using 16 if there is any doubt in your mind or if the boat your hailing isn't responding on another station.
    That's why there are two talk buttons on the Lifeline. One to chat (NOT on 16) and one for 16....which you use judiciously. But you've got to set the chat channel for each boat you are on, they have many to choose from.

Capt/ Instructor
    SF2 | rEvo

PRISM Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops47  View Original Post
    That's why there are two talk buttons on the Lifeline. One to chat (NOT on 16) and one for 16....which you use judiciously. But you've got to set the chat channel for each boat you are on, they have many to choose from.
    Yup, which brings us to the OP. We use 19 as our "chat channel" on the South shore of Long Island.

+ Reply to Thread