+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Override depth limitation with CMF.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Override depth limitation with CMF.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hearn  View Original Post
    i solved this problem in another way , i incorporated a minature 1st stage valve into my unit , no wider than a 2 euro coin , it has an output of 8 bar non compenating and it feeds the orifice only . the tank 1st stage is a standard compensating valve.when diving normally ,and when this valve reaches its maximum depth and shuts down the dive can continue on solenoid and or manual inject. no bumping up IPs,no extra stress on components . an inline shutoff allows allows disabling of the valve at anytime should there be a problem or you simpely dont need it .
    mike
    Sounds Great, Mike. Also sounds expensive......
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

The easy way is a needle valve and a depth compensating first stage. Then you can forget all the mucking about with modifications, secondary regulators, one way auto reliefing compensation valves, etc. etc.

Not this the OP solution isn't technically elegant, but it is a solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist if you get rid of the CMF and go needle valve.

cheers

Andy

RBW Member waz2068 is an unknown quantity at this point waz2068's Avatar
    Inspo Classic MCCR

Classic Kiss

I agree with Andy on this one. I converted my Inspo over to man. CCR with a Chris Kennedy needle valve. Simple and reliable.

Just my 2c worth

Waz

RBW Member michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Sounds Great, Mike. Also sounds expensive......
    what isnt on a rebreather , add up what you spent on it since you bought it , might suprise you . needle valve a good solution , i wanted something with zero task loading except on or off .

mike

RBW Member happy58900 is an unknown quantity at this point happy58900's Avatar
    Kiss !Kiss / GAF Hammerhead

I use one of Chris Kennedy's needle valve as well easy to use no depth problems and well priced .

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

Clever idea, but unnecessarily complicated.

You can use a regular 1st stage, no capping or fixed IP, and a needle valve. At any point in the dive or depth, you adjust the needle valve to meet current IP and O2 demand.

As always, you need to keep an eye on your PO2.

After a few dives you soon get the hang of how much to turn for various situations.

Once at the depth of the wreck, you can set the needle valve and pretty much leave it alone.

I used a drager hacked this way for many years before moving to a rEvo.

Tinkerer madvic is an unknown quantity at this point madvic's Avatar
    bp240 mod

Quote Originally Posted by michael hearn  View Original Post
    needle valve a good solution , i wanted something with zero task loading except on or off .

mike
    Mike, precisely the idea that I propose is zero task!!! You dive with pre-sets adjustments and behaves like the CMF.

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Needle valve is easy to use either set for max depth or adjust on the fly to minimize deco. After a few hours practice it is no great task loading.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Re: Override depth limitation with CMF.B-)

i if you want zero task...... get a eCCR.
    l

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Re: Override depth limitation with CMF.B-)

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    i if you want zero task...... get a eCCR.
    l
    No such thing as zero task loading with a CCR, with an eCCR you are supposed to monitor the electronics all the time to make sure they are functioning correctly and O2 sensors reading correctly (if they are not then the electronics are worth nothing).

The problem is that 99.9% of the time they tend to work fine...its that .01% of the time that they don't and giving the CCR conflicting instructions on what it should be doing to keep you alive. (These figures are not stats, don't want to start a huge argument on that, they are just to illustrate the point I am trying to make.)

So the eCCR diver become less diligent leaving the task to the machine and trusting the electronics to replace the divers brain while diving, OK they extra warnings like HUDs and vibrating mouthpieces and so on...this is to try and cover up the problems by adding more complexity.

Average eCCR diver will probably have many years of successful diving with a unit until that day that something happens...when it does we all throw are arms up in the air and say "What could have possibly gone wrong" followed by debated and arguments here. This or course has happened to experienced eCCR Instructor trainers...that is scary!

If you doing lots of diving all year around on a CCR the the odds will eventually catch up with you...with an mCCR you can cope, I have had a few incidents over the years that I would have not survived if on an eCCR.

As for the task loading of manually adding via MAV, needle valve or both it is minimal. The other task loading of monitoring the ppO2 should be the same with both eCCR and mCCR. Correct me if I'm wrong but it used to be taught on the Inspo Classic course to check both handsets at least every minute of the dive!

I was diving in Egypt on my own mCCR and I observed two eCCR divers who left it 25 mins between checks on their displays...neither had a HUD! So what was going on there? An accident waiting to happen.

Also the task loading on care and maintenance out of the water is far greater with an eCCR compared to an mCCR.

cheers
    Rod

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast