+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Standard Cylinders for MK15

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Standard Cylinders for MK15

I wondering if anyone is interested in a more "standard" cylinder type for the MK15. I've got a quantity of stumpy little 15cf cylinders with pillar valves. They are a Catalina aluminum cylinder that can be filled/hydro tested at our mainstream dive stores and gas suppliers.

I would propose the layout below in a new slightly modified chassis. This means you could use your old MK15 lid. The chassis would have the valve access holes blanked out at the bottom and some small reliefs on the very base for the cylinder corners to rest in giving the valves a little more clearance at the top.
    Best.jpg

There should be room between the cylinders at the top for your electronics but I'm just guessing right now. Re-plumbing of a lot of it might be necessary. This may suit MK15's that are MCCR or are being compiled from parts and spares. Access to the valves will be from holes drilled mid way up the case and they may not be easily operated while diving. Compromise is life.

I know the obvious answer is to flip them around but they are a bad fit and it would require extending the case by at least 3 inches and building a new longer lid.
    Extended inverted.jpg

Horizontal is not much better. It leaves squat all room in the case for anything else, the valves are still hard to reach and the case/lid would need to be extended an inch and a half just to fit them.
    Horizontal.jpg

If anyone has 15's missing sphere's or is desperate to have an alternative to their sphere's please let me know so l can decide if I'll play around with this and put out a prototype.

Cheers,
    Sandy

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Standard Cylinders for MK15

Good luck with the fit (if you go ahead), the range of available cylinder shapes and sizes never fails to amaze me.

It it maybe worth considering slob knobs to take the valve controls back down to the expected locations?

+ Reply to Thread