+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FFM Conversion for KISS GEM

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Re: FFM Conversion for KISS GEM

I had a FFM with a purge valve in the chin, on my test dive the loop would freeflow out the valve when I tipped my head or swam face down. I machined a small plug to swap in place of the valve and it fixed it. Sandy

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

I use the M48 Mod1 with the mouthpiece that comes with the mask - using that still allows me to use the drain if needed.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

FFM Conversion for KISS GEM

Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver  View Original Post
    I use the M48 Mod1 with the mouthpiece that comes with the mask - using that still allows me to use the drain if needed.

+1 with the GG shrimp BOV

Sent by my scrubber using a rEvodream

GEM Diver cpjet64 is an unknown quantity at this point cpjet64's Avatar
    KISS GEM

So did my first dive today with the Mantis FFM and I kept having issues with it sealing completing on exhale it would release air around the sides of my face until I cranked it down as tight as I could get it. As for the chin drain valve I just shoved a coin on the outside of it so the valve couldn't open and it solved that issue. All in all I am now in love with FFMs and plan on buying a guardian as soon as I can afford one with the comms package. I also learned I have a incredibly sloppy mouth lol because my scrubber cylinder was almost dry when I got out and usually I have about a inch or two of water in it.

Any tips on getting the FFM to seal better without having to crank it so hard my jaw was slightly sore after the first hour of the dive?

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by cpjet64  View Original Post
    So did my first dive today with the Mantis FFM and I kept having issues with it sealing completing on exhale it would release air around the sides of my face until I cranked it down as tight as I could get it. As for the chin drain valve I just shoved a coin on the outside of it so the valve couldn't open and it solved that issue. All in all I am now in love with FFMs and plan on buying a guardian as soon as I can afford one with the comms package. I also learned I have a incredibly sloppy mouth lol because my scrubber cylinder was almost dry when I got out and usually I have about a inch or two of water in it.

Any tips on getting the FFM to seal better without having to crank it so hard my jaw was slightly sore after the first hour of the dive?
    I'm not sure what you're planning to do with the Guardian mask, but I have used one for years and still have not figured out how to use it with the GEM. It is not the same as the Mantis or the Scubapro that just attach to a standard mouthpiece connector. I have been trying to have a reverse p-port made to attach either the GEM mouthpiece or a Shrimp BOV to the Guardian for a very long time. Jakub had promised one from Golem, but then abandoned the project.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

GEM Diver cpjet64 is an unknown quantity at this point cpjet64's Avatar
    KISS GEM

Ken,

So when I last talked to Ashley over at OTS if I remember correctly you have to order the military version because it was designed to be used with the Draeger O2 rebreathers we have in the Army... I'll reach out to my units Maritime Operations Facility (MOF) and see what they're thoughts are, they will be a whole lot more knowledgeable on this. I wonder if the civilian market just can't buy them directly yet? I have to call OTS again tonight (it's Monday here) and ask if they received the extra set of lenses back yet and I will ask then.

RBW Member crpntr133 is an unknown quantity at this point crpntr133's Avatar

Interesting idea, and one that I was thinking about myself. Just being certified last month I hadn't given it much thought.

If all else fails, plug the drain valve in the mask. Not the greatest idea but it would prevent the mask from purging instead of the mouthpiece.

Keep us posted and thanks for serving!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2