+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FFM Conversion for KISS GEM

GEM Diver cpjet64 is an unknown quantity at this point cpjet64's Avatar
    KISS GEM

FFM Conversion for KISS GEM

Currently doing my IANTD GEM Diver course and am looking to purchase a FFM with comms unit to mate up with my GEM. Talked with my instructor and he started talking about using a puck to mate it up but for the life of me I cannot find anything to convert the GEMs mouthpiece to fit anything other than that cheap black Scubapro FFM. I am currently looking at the OTS Guardian. Anybody have any ideas or knowledge on this or even a homemade solution?

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: FFM Conversion for KISS GEM

I'm also a diehard FFM diver and have not even come close to a solution for the GEM other than the Scubapro or other FFMs that simply mount instead of a bite piece. Jakub was working on a conversion piece for the Guardian to mate with the Shrimp BOV. If he could come up with something that simply terminates just like the stem of a reg or snorkel, then maybe something like a small Fernco coupling could be used to mate the 2 hard ends together. But it would probably be too flexible and cumbersome.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

KISS GEM

So I just discovered that apparently the ocean reef space Neptune II can accept any second stage as its primary reg as well as incorporate a surface valve or octopus/BOV. Ken, any knowledge of this setup? Might be able to mate the gem with it using the large adapter they show on the ocean reef website. My concern is just with dead space and co2 accumulation in the mask.

-Curt
    Last edited by cpjet64; 16th September 2013 at 06:44. Reason: Spelling

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I'm not all that familiar with the Neptune. I tried one and didn't like it. I have AGA and Guardian masks.

I can't really tell from their site how that adapter works. It says the mask openings are threaded rather than p-ports and I'm just not seeing how that adapter even works with a normal second stage. But if it works for a second, I guess it should work with the GEM mouthpiece. As for putting a bailout second stage on the mask with it, that probably won't work. I can't see whether the Neptune works with nose breathing like the Nova, but that would be necessary for "open loop" breathing on the GEM. Maybe it works just like the Nova, but I can't tell from the photos.

As for CO2 buildup, virtually no chance if there is a bite piece, but that interferes with comms. With an oral nasal cup, I have not had a problem but other people don't recommend it. With neither, there would be a risk of CO2. But the GEM is SCR, so there is about 1/3 fresh gas coming in each breath. I probably wouldn't be too concerned, but it depends on the relative volume based on the flow.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

Have you looked at the KM48 Mod 1? M-48 Mod 1 | Kirby Morgan

it attaches similar to the others mentioned, I use one on my Poseidon Discovery and am very happy with it.

KISS GEM

So I finally found a "dirt cheap" FFM and went ahead and bought it. The OTS Mantis fits perfectly and with a zip tie securing it and me pulling as hard as it would take to rip a reg out of my mouth and still not budging makes me feel pretty confident about this $250 purchase. I have always had a issue with water getting into my mask and with the WOB more than OC I seem to always get a bunch of water in my sinuses (even holding the mouthpiece away from my mask) and with this I can breathe through both my nose and mouth I am just concerned about the drain one way valve located at the bottom of the mask. I am going to test dive it tomorrow evening hopefully and will post my review. Here are some pictures, if someone wants more then just leave a reply and please excuse my messy barracks room. I will eventually upgrade to a OTS Guardian with a comms package but first will be converting to the Shearwater Petrel (or maybe the NERD if I get a good enough tax return!!) from the Jetsam Display. I also attached two of those little mask strap lights to it and the results are absolutely awesome!!! The first thing I will be ordering will be the Octo holder port so I can put my bailout on it.
    Attached Images

KISS GEM

I need to clarify about my concern of the drain valve!! I am worried that when I exhale rather than the exhaled gas going into the loop some or all will exit the drain valve and waste gas that otherwise would've been reused...

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

you need a mouthpiece other wise co2 will build up , i did this with a nepune and scubapro.. they both work well if you need to use the coms you can still do it with the bite (just dont seal it )

KISS GEM

At what point would CO2 buildup become a problem? I definitely see what your talking about when I purchase the Guardian and plan on getting the one with the bite for it, but with the Mantis(pictured above) will it make CO2 buildup an issue being as low volume as it is? I know a small amount of dead-space is ok but once you get a lot of dead space your begging for a issue...

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

if it'll work for a rebreather, no reason to assume the GEM wont work as well. But...the gas pressures its designed for will be different I might assume with a FFM. (magnet and mushrooms)

gas will follow the path of least resistance, so the drain is an interesting question as well....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast