+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (UPDATED) Trip Report: Focus Underwater 2013 in Grand Cayman

Havin Fun Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C's Avatar
    rEvo III micro RMS

rEvo III mini, Optima

(UPDATED) Trip Report: Focus Underwater 2013 in Grand Cayman

Technical and Recreational CCR and OC diving
    Dates: August 24-31, 2013

We just returned from an awesome week of technical diving, meeting new divers (OC and CCR), and learning from Photo Pros: Chris Parsons, Ryan Canon, Curt Bowen, and Paul Barnett. It was 7 fun-filled days of diving, educational seminars, testing out CCRs in the pool, and much more.

If you were on the trip and I know several of you were, share your experience and photos with us!

Reef Photo & Video and Nauticam had cameras, underwater housings, and strobes and cameras available for anyone to test out on their dives. All our photo pros also served as judges in an exciting photo contest where outstanding prizes were given out at the end of the week. Winners had amazing shots and videos!

Tuesday afternoon also gave a chance to try out CCR diving in the pool or if you were a CCR diver you could test a different rebreather. The pool was packed with folks trying out CCR diving for the 1st time and many trying out different rebreathers. CCRs available included: rEvo, Innerspace Systems Pathfinder, Kiss Spirit, Evolution, Poseidon, and Sentinel

This was my 4th trip to an event at DiveTech and Cobalt Coast in Grand Cayman. As always it was outstanding and the diving was amazing. They really know how to provide full support for CCR divers.

DiveTech provided 6 days of boat trips. This included recreational level boats as well as technical-level boats (normoxic and trimix depths). Boat trips were available for AM and PM departures offering various options to satisfy different schedule preferences. Unlimited shorediving was also included and you could go out from either the Cobalt Coast dock or Lighthouse point.

Eric and I were diving our rEvo III micros. We primarily took advantage of the AM boat dive schedule on the technical boat. We had a great group of CCR only divers running 2-3 different profiles each day with DiveTech guides leading each trip. Our team ran daily profiles in the range of 250-300 feet daily. The sites were amazing and usually ended on a nice shallow reef to finish out deco.

This was one of our dives in the 260-300 foot range looking up at the team of divers in the ~200 foot profile

Thanks to Steve Tippets for a great job of leading our deep profile dive team each day. He still had a smile on his face at the end of the week so I guess we didn’t wear him out too much!

I have to say that all of the DiveTech staff was awesome! Thanks to all of them for going above and beyond for making it a fun and enjoyable trip.

One of our dives was a nice deep dive on the wall, coming up through the sand shoot to end on the Kittiwake. Very cool wreck....

Everyone at the hang line for the final few minutes before ending the dive…

We also did several shore dives from Cobalt Coast and took one trip over to Lighthouse point for an afternoon shore dive. Doug Ebersole joined Eric and I for the Lighthouse point shore dive. Doug had a green moray eel come right up to him to pose for a picture then turned and swam away. It was a great photo-op.

Speaking of photo-op, this week wasn’t just about great diving but also an excellent chance to learn from photo pros and hone your own photography skills. There were many clinics available at various times of the day to learn specific techniques and skills. I learned that ‘auto’ is another 4-letter word when it comes to photography! My manual shooting skills are still a work in progress. I’ve only been doing that for the past 1-2 years. I was very humbled by the photos taken by many of the divers. I have a long way to go to improving my skills. Another great excuse for diving more!

One of my favorite shots I captured from the trip. Thanks to Steve for pointing me to it!

I also now have camera / strobe envy. I think the best quote of the week was from Helen our dive boat captain a couple of days. As I boarded the boat one day, she said “what a cute little camera”. I will have to say my camera housing and strobe did take up the least amount of room on the boat and only required one hand for them to hand it to me once in the waterJ Well, I should caveat this statement with saying my camera was bigger than the GoPro.

The DiveTech and Cobalt Coast staff made everything run very smoothly. It was a busy week for them with 40+ OC and CCR divers. Hats off to them all for making it an extremely fun and safe week!

A special thanks to our hosts Nancy and Jay Easterbrook of DiveTech and Arie of Cobalt Coast.

If you didn’t make it this year, you should certainly check it out for a 2014 trip!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Kristi C; 3rd September 2013 at 22:35. Reason: Updated with missing photos!
    Kristi Cunningham

RBW Member FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler's Avatar
    Optima

Re: (UPDATED) Trip Report: Focus Underwater 2013 in Grand Cayman

thanks for the great report Kristi. I also had a fantistic week at Focus Underwater. Divetech run one of the best operations I've ever experienced, combined with Cobalt Coast they set the bar.
    I also have to admit in public I dive an Optima, but after this week I am even more Optimistic, I actually dove my Optima all week. All I have to say is the new revo should come with a tool kit. P dreams should really be called wet P dreams, and point in fact some of the revo divers had a Gortex sheet just in case. Dream on revo divers while my wet dreams are at 100m

RBW Member Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester's Avatar
    rEvo III Magnum

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Dear Kristi,

Regarding the(UPDATED) Trip Report: Focus Underwater 2013 in Grand Cayman.

Thank you for taking the time for such a well written article. I really appreciate how much information & detail you put into this. It most definitely shows. I must say I really enjoyed looking at all the pictures you took and posted. Outstanding job! I must say that I like the juicy fruit looking striped towels over the rEvo's. Somewhere in those pictures is Eric, I'm sure of it.

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Last edited by Chett.L; 30th September 2013 at 20:11.
    Chett. L

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Great right-up and super great pics!! Wow

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Great write-up and photos, Kristi! It was great to spend time with you and Eric. I echo your sentiments about Cobalt Coast & Dive Tech. They have definitely set the bar for a rebreather diving vacation.

Doug

Not Admin Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

rEvo Mini III, Optima

Good seeing you there Doug. From my brief demo of the your KISS Spirit, definitely going to be watching that unit. It was nice and small - will be interested in seeing it with the Hollis BOV you had mentioned and hearing about its WOB.

Thanks for watching my back (literally) for bubbles!

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_C  View Original Post
    Good seeing you there Doug. From my brief demo of the your KISS Spirit, definitely going to be watching that unit. It was nice and small - will be interested in seeing it with the Hollis BOV you had mentioned and hearing about its WOB.

Thanks for watching my back (literally) for bubbles!

Hi Eric,

My thoughts exactly. What would be really interesting to compare is the overall work of breathing & trim of the KISS Spirit to someone that owns and dives a rEvo lll. As we know both units have the dual scrubbers. Sorry for going off-topic. I am excited to learn more about the spirit and just had to say that.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread