+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RBJ 8-4-13 trip report

RBW Member Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun's Avatar
    rEvo

RBJ 8-4-13 trip report

As we motored out into the Atlantic it looked more like a summer time lake than the ocean. Flat as glass, not even a wind ripple. The sun was shining and it was already 82f outside. The captain hovered over the wreck getting no current on the depth finder. Could it be? Flat seas and no current? Certainly not on the RBJ? The DM dropped in to tie off to the highest point possible and we all watched in anticipation. But yes, it was true. The float ball sat gently on the surface like a ping pong ball floating in the pool. Flat seas, no current, visibility must be zero.

We finished gearing up and dropped in. As we plunged into the water it was a lovely 84F near the surface but as you dropped past 100 feet the temperature started to drop, 200ft another significant drop. The wreck was already clearly in view. Viz was 60 feet. But the cold slapped you like a misbehaving child, at least to us South Florida divers. It was a chilly 62F on the bottom.

But I was willing to deal with the cold to have no current and decent viz on this great pair of wrecks. The RBJ is actually two wrecks. The Corey N Cris which sits on the ocean floor at 256feet and the RBJ which was accidently scuttled right on top of her forming a near perfect X. The RBJ has seen a lot of destruction recently and falling apart. The second set of goal post risers have fallen and now lay across the wreck. The wheelhouse, once a great place for penetration now lays in pile of ruble on the deck. Access to engine room is made easily behind the wheelhouse and that is where I went first. I had not been there on this wreck so that was my first destination. Inside the engine room parts of the ceiling hang down as part of the wheelhouse collapse. But there is still plenty to see, walkways and staircases to be explored. From there I moved out onto the deck and dropped to the sand to do the “swim throughs” the part in which the RBJ sits suspended off the ocean floor by the Corey N Criss. It’s few feet high, and to me, shows no perceivable collapse since my last visit in 2012. I came around the stern of the lower wreck and did the swim through on the other side, from there I made my way into the Corey N Criss. She shows a lot of deterioration and daylight is clearly visible from most areas inside her. Ascending from the Corey N Criss along the hull of the RBJ I made my way onto the deck of the CNC and toured the wheelhouse which appeared to be completely silted out. I would learn later the DPV pilots were playing chase and headed into the very small wheelhouse and succeeded in blowing it out in the process. It was 20 minutes into my run time and I had agreed to be on the deck of the RBJ by 22. Making my way onto the deck the cold was starting to get to me. It was becoming uncomfortable. On the deck I made a leisurely swim to the line. At 25 minutes I made the line and was happy to be ascending into the warm deco waters above, my right arm felt like pins and needles from the cold. I was the last to line. The cold had chased everyone from the wreck in 18-22 minutes.

Soon I was hanging in the 84F water defrosting. It had been a great dive. Now…whats for lunch?

On board for today’s hooliganisms was Teri, Kurt, Henry, Jeff, Tony a guy named John on an optima and then Dana on o/c as well as a class of three doing there o/c trimix .

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Re: RBJ 8-4-13 trip report

Great write up, Kim! we certainly had a blast on this dive today. The wheelhouse silt out, btw, was entirely Henry's fault. I was too busy dealing with the fishing line caught in the prop hub of my Viper to have anything to to do with that.

It was a tad on the chilly side for us SFL weenies in 3.5 mm wetsuits and a hooded vest, but wtf, can't have everything I guess. with such a great group of divers and a way cool wreck, what's not to love?

see ya next time!!!!!!!!

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Down4fun  View Original Post
    a guy named John on an optima
    Glad to see you added a little class to the outing.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Glad to see you added a little class to the outing.

RBW Member Fldvr is an unknown quantity at this point Fldvr's Avatar

That was a great write-up Kim!
    I personally saw Jeff race into the wheelhouse, go into some kind of padi convulsions and silt out the wheelhouse, Tony and I, fearing for Jeffs safety and well being, rushed in to assist:)

Henry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread