+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bottle/Jar Identification Help - Pulled from Wreck of the Daryaw in the St. Lawrence

For a good time, call.... MDDiver is an unknown quantity at this point MDDiver's Avatar
    Evolution +

Drager Dolphin

Bottle/Jar Identification Help - Pulled from Wreck of the Daryaw in the St. Lawrence

OK fellow wreck divers, I need some help identifying this glass jar I pulled out of this wreck.

I was diving on the wreck of the Daryaw this past weekend. Ship was built in France in 1919 and sank in the St. Lawrence River in 1941. It sits upside down in 94ft of water in heavy current. I have been on this wreck dozens of times and all through the stern and the ship, and a couple of times in the bow section. I decided to play around in the bow again, in the lowest section. I moved some wood and found this tiny jar. It was filled with zebra mussels and silt.

My original plan was to clean it up and use it a pen holder on my desk at work.

When I cleaned it up I found a raised anchor on the side near the bottom. There is also a raised L 6 4. The 6 may be a 5, but it looks more like a 6 so I am going with that for now. It measures 3 1/2 inches tall and 2 inches wide.

Anchor Hocking glassware seemed like a good fit but their anchor emblem includes an H. This anchor is strictly an anchor....no H.
    Let's see if we can figure out what this is and what it once held or was used for!

~Dan
    Attached Images

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Re: Bottle/Jar Identification Help - Pulled from Wreck of the Daryaw in the St. Lawre

Quote Originally Posted by MDDiver  View Original Post
    OK fellow wreck divers, I need some help identifying this glass jar I pulled out of this wreck.

I was diving on the wreck of the Daryaw this past weekend. Ship was built in France in 1919 and sank in the St. Lawrence River in 1941. It sits upside down in 94ft of water in heavy current. I have been on this wreck dozens of times and all through the stern and the ship, and a couple of times in the bow section. I decided to play around in the bow again, in the lowest section. I moved some wood and found this tiny jar. It was filled with zebra mussels and silt.

My original plan was to clean it up and use it a pen holder on my desk at work.

When I cleaned it up I found a raised anchor on the side near the bottom. There is also a raised L 6 4. The 6 may be a 5, but it looks more like a 6 so I am going with that for now. It measures 3 1/2 inches tall and 2 inches wide.

Anchor Hocking glassware seemed like a good fit but their anchor emblem includes an H. This anchor is strictly an anchor....no H.
    Let's see if we can figure out what this is and what it once held or was used for!

~Dan
    Looks like a standard fruit jar..preservatives .JAM jar....being since the wreck sank in 1941, would be common to see something of that type in kitchen galley for that era....im just guessing of course....

Still alays cool to see items from below!...

Thanks for sharing, i hope it can be 100% identified...
    Last edited by RSmith; 1st August 2013 at 19:03.

For a good time, call.... MDDiver is an unknown quantity at this point MDDiver's Avatar
    Evolution +

Drager Dolphin

Re: Bottle/Jar Identification Help - Pulled from Wreck of the Daryaw in the St. Lawre

Quote Originally Posted by RSmith  View Original Post
    Looks like a standard fruit jar..preservatives .JAM jar....being since the wreck sank in 1941, would be common to see something of that type in kitchen galley for that era....im just guessing of course....

Still alays cool to see items from below!...

Thanks for sharing, i hope it can be 100% identified...
    That was my initial impression, either a jam/jelly jar or a mustard/condiment jar. But why the anchor? That makes it maritime-specific. That darn anchor is what makes or breaks this whole thing....

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by MDDiver  View Original Post
    That was my initial impression, either a jam/jelly jar or a mustard/condiment jar. But why the anchor? That makes it maritime-specific. That darn anchor is what makes or breaks this whole thing....
    The anchor likely is part of the goods manufacturer that makes products for shipping industry, like coloured diesel for farm use only. Back in the forties during war time this too was common with food products. Some were marked for commercial and non commercial use so it couldnt be for resale...This could be something along the same lines?...

P.S. Have dove that wreck many times, found a few pieces of silver wear, and a piece of broken plate.....I left them in a spot and check on them when I dive the site.....I Love the Daryaw !
    Last edited by RSmith; 2nd August 2013 at 02:38.

RBW Member scubamoody is an unknown quantity at this point scubamoody's Avatar
    Cis Lunar Mk6

Bottle/Jar Identification Help - Pulled from Wreck of the Daryaw in the St. Law

I've got to be honest, I've got no clue, but you're braver than I am as I won't touch much inside that wreck as I've seen too many of those scary looking river eels hiding in the silt, so I go through it trying to disturb as little as possible! If I wanted to find out anything about any wreck in that part of the river my first stop would be Deb Ring. He found most of the wrecks that you'd be diving out of Rockport or Brockville and has forgotten more about those wrecks than we will ever know.

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

There are lots of brands that could use an anchor as a manufacturing symbol - like anchor and hocking, for example...

Cheers

Andy

You know, a few years ago some Dil was busy seeding our local wrecks with old trumpet mouthpieces...others chuck old keys, cutlery and kewpie dolls into narrow spaces, just so they can sit back and watch the fun...

It accusing, just sayin'...

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Bottle/Jar Identification Help - Pulled from Wreck of the Daryaw in the St. Law

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Del  View Original Post
    There are lots of brands that could use an anchor as a manufacturing symbol - like anchor and hocking, for example...

Cheers

Andy

You know, a few years ago some Dil was busy seeding our local wrecks with old trumpet mouthpieces...others chuck old keys, cutlery and kewpie dolls into narrow spaces, just so they can sit back and watch the fun...

It accusing, just sayin'...
    Haha. I was diving a lake in South Carolina when I saw a guy chuck 50 large megaladon teeth into what is called the "hot hole" directly adjacent to a nuclear powerplant return.
    It's like a roller coaster of diving as you hover over the return, dump all you has out of your bc, then sink down to the level if the water return and shoot out into the lake...
    Anywho, there is megaladon teeth in there now...

l MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD's Avatar
    classic, sports Kiss

Azimuth, mccr azi

You may never know

try these for a bit of brain food

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...50165853,d.dGI

GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES & OTHER GLASSWARE

(search on anchor)

Working out stuff like this rally has become the fun part of diving as I have got older

Matt

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

Did you seriously pull something of the Daryaw?
    Our wrecks are protected...
    Maybe stick to the wrecks on the US side of the St L if you're going to do that stuff.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schultz  View Original Post
    Did you seriously pull something of the Daryaw?
    Our wrecks are protected...
    Maybe stick to the wrecks on the US side of the St L if you're going to do that stuff.

Protected by whom? Protected by what?

It would be helpful to provide links to substantiate your statement and provide education. Otherwise your statement is just more internet folklore and you just come off as sharing an opinion that is different than that of the OP.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast