+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tamaulipas Dive July 27th

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Talking Tamaulipas Dive July 27th

The weekend began on July 26th with a drive from Mooresville, NC to Morehead City, NC (a 5 hour drive east). I was more excited than ever to be diving middle of the road/deep wrecks in the 150-170fsw range off the coast of North Carolina, The Graveyard of the Atlantic. The drive went well with the help of a very large Monster Energy drink, loud music with the occasional FOX news on my Sirius radio, and a gallon jug of water.

Once I arrived I went straight to Olympus Dive Center which is located directly next to their dock to check in and fill out some paper work. I ended up staying in their Dive Shanty which is within walking distance to the shop (a 30 bed bunkhouse, no frills, but perfect for a weekend dive trip/$30 a night). Their was a huge group of Yankees from Ohio in there so we got along good since I was born and raised in PA (guess i'm still a yankee.. hehe).

My group was from Mooresville and was a collection of dive instructors from Lake Norman Scuba which was my open water local dive shop. I'm not an instructor and have little to no interest in becoming one. I was the only one of our group to stay in the "Shanty."

When I woke I was wide awake imediately at 4am an hour before my alarm clock. Holy shit, i better shower to calm down a bit so I did. The rest of my gear I left on the boat the night before but for my rebreather I kept it locked in my truck... i would hate to have to pay for that again...err wait. Nevermind.

Once on the boat I was crawling out of my skin because I couldn't wait to get in the water. I had all my gear in exactly the right place for each piece. I had a plan on the exact order I would pick up each bit of kit and dress up. I've done this since the start of my diving and presume I will always be this excited on going to dive.

I was also the only diver in a drysuit. The captain, Tony as well as the Mate, Jon, were both concerned i was going to be dehydrated from getting dressed... (I dive dry even in warm conditions, less undergarments, dive with a t-shirt under the suit and warm pants.. lets just say I wasn't all that hot, i was perfect.

Once in the water I made my way to the downline to the Tamaulipas, a mexican trade vessel sunk by the U552, if i'm not mistaken. It was a broken up wreck with a good bit of sharks and A TON OF LIONFISH big and small. Our dive plan was to spend 80 minutes run time which was perfect. I jumped first with my rebreather set to PPO2 of 1.2 I would be able to get a few extra minutes on the wreck with about the same run time as the other OC guys. On my first dive I found a deck light pictured below. I plan to clean it up a bit. On our second dive we saw a huge Turtle about 4-5 ft long and 3 feet across. The end of our second dive, divers enjoyed a pod of 30 dolphin checking us out for the final minutes of deco.

The second day we didn't make it out to our planned trip to the Yancey but we will be back. Oh yes we will be back. My video was a wash because I tried a red filter on my contourHD, but the dive shop owner from Lake Norman Scuba was using a Hero3 Black and he caught some of the best footage i've seen on one trip. I hope to make a copy to share with you all.

Taker ez,
    Garth

Oh almost forgot to mention that I took a pictur of my rebreather for MONKEY, see if you can see which one.

Scratch that let me see if I can shrink the pictures then upload..

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Re: Tamaulipas Dive July 27th

A few photos. Hopefully I can get some of the video up because the massive turtle and the pod of dolphins were incredible.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread