+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Singapore to Samui July 2013

RBW Member DirtyB is an unknown quantity at this point DirtyB's Avatar
    inspo

Smile Singapore to Samui July 2013

Hi Guys,

I'm still a newbie to this forum but felt i needed to write a short review of the technical liveaboard trip I went on in July with Tech Thailand.

Six of us left from Pongul marina, Singapore, on the 1st of July, first stop was the HMS Repulse.

We spent 3 days diving the Repulse, absolutely love that wreck, before heading off for a day on the Prince of Wales.

Sadly pirates/salvage companies have used a large amount of dynamite to remove all remaining props on these two amazing wrecks. The resulting damage has caused fuel and oil tanks to rupture leaving huge oil slicks on the surface. Also the shock wave has dislodged rivets and panels along the back end of the super structure, opening up large breaks in some places.

Prince of Wales was a little bit deeper and a lot darker. Viz past 60m was VERY green... It was great to see the 14'' guns and the prince of wales writing on the port side.

The next wrecks were all Japanese. The Hatsutaka, the Shiguri and The Tairu. The later two of these wrecks were pretty much un touched with a large amount of china and brass just lying all over the place. Great viz and some interesting currents on the down lines made these dives enjoyable, being testing but also rewarding.

The last of the dives was on the USS Lagarto.

Ever since i heard about this sub 18 months ago i have been drawn towards diving her. It's taken many hours in my unit to get to the level where i was happy to drop to 78m and go and check this intact American sub out. First dive, my buddy rich and i went forward, looking at the depth charge damage on the STBD side, then forward to the planes which were at full dive angle, then to the open torpedo tube on the port side, all tell tale signs that this sub went down fighting. Swam along the deck before returning to the shears, via the front gun of course, then up the line. excellent dive

Second Dive Mr Stu Shaw joined us, our mission, to replace the flag which had been placed 2 years previously, with a new American flag. All this went smoothly so i had a quick swim to the back to check the props outs, swam under the back end after being scared to death by a school of jacks, then back to the line.

Wanted to keep the report short and sweet so will finish with the boat and crew.

The MV Giamani is an excellent vessel for good sized groups, up to 12, of technical divers. Accomidation is twin/three share with air conditioning and your own shower. They are fully geared up to support CCR/OC. 200bar fills of what ever you need for your dive with well priced gas means everyone are happy.

The food needs to have it's own section. The Thai staff on board cooked the BEST Thai food i have ever eaten, and I lived in Thailand for a year! There was plenty of it when ever you seemed hungry, it was if they had a direct link to my stomach!

All the staff were great, very helpful boat boys on the dive deck made kitting up a dream whilst Stu and Simon brought the knowledge and the laughs at the dinner table at the end of the day. I'm sure thats not all they did but most of the time i was in the water or sleeping

Thanks guys for a great trip, will be back as soon as i've earned some more money!!!

Pictures will follow, they are just up loading to my photobucket

RBW Member DirtyB is an unknown quantity at this point DirtyB's Avatar
    inspo

Re: Singapore to Samui July 2013

RBW Member stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey's Avatar
    Inspo, Evo, Poseidon

Inspo classic, Meg, Deep

Hi Bryan, nice report

Thanks

Stuey
    Last edited by stuey; 3rd August 2013 at 07:20.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB  View Original Post

We spent 3 days diving the Repulse, absolutely love that wreck, before heading off for a day on the Prince of Wales.

Sadly pirates/salvage companies have used a large amount of dynamite to remove all remaining props on these two amazing wrecks. The resulting damage has caused fuel and oil tanks to rupture leaving huge oil slicks on the surface. Also the shock wave has dislodged rivets and panels along the back end of the super structure, opening up large breaks in some places.
    ?????????

are you sure about this? shes been missing a few props for decades. last time i dived her (5 years ago) she still had 2 props.

oil has been escaping out these wrecks at different times for decades
    Last edited by Drmike; 6th August 2013 at 10:23.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Mike

Someone has been actively salvaging over the last two years.

John

RBW Member stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey's Avatar
    Inspo, Evo, Poseidon

Inspo classic, Meg, Deep

Mike

I can assure you that there's no props left on either of the wrecks, and as Bryan said they have caused a large amount of damage around the stern of them. When we dived them in May the slick from the POW was huge and at time we were tied up in the middle of it, we went back again in July and it didn't appear to be just as bad.

Regards

Stuart

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Yes, all props are gone on Repulse now.
    Was diving it in April this year and you can see new broken metals on the sand below the previous 2 remaining props and oil was leaking big time when we were diving.

Cheers!

There is always a "maybe" CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT RMS

Inspiration

Singapore to Samui July 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Davydive  View Original Post
    Yes, all props are gone on Repulse now.
    Was diving it in April this year and you can see new broken metals on the sand below the previous 2 remaining props and oil was leaking big time when we were diving.

Cheers!
    Ohh yea hanging on the deco bar in strong current for some 40min with all the oil smarties coming up was kind of fun... Paul Trainor said his gear was smelling like a gas station and he had to wash it several times after that trip, mine was fine...
    However seems to be a steady oil stream now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

damn. guess the price of scrap went up.

For the record - it wasnt me.

shame - the prop with the rudder embedded deep in it always made me imagine a little what the sinking must have been like

Y.O.B.S Trip, Malaysia - Aug/Sept 05 - Drmike's Photos | SmugMug
    Attached Images

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Thanks heaps for the report. Its getting me all revved up!! Not too long now and I will be heading out with Stuey and doing that very trip (opposite way)

I cant wait.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast