+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bubbling of coating?

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

Bubbling of coating?

Has anyone else had this problem? The black coating on the can of my Mark VI has developed raised bubbles or something similar under the coating right where the o-rings on the bottom cover are supposed to seal. It is on the inside of the can right where one of the bolts screw into the thread on the outside. The bubbling is so bad that I have my doubts that the o-rings are going to seal adequately so I'm concerned that it is going to leak at that point.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Re: Bubbling of coating?

Bummer! Sounds like Aluminium corrosion?

It's so tight around that bottom seal I bet you could sand it all off

RBW Member Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt's Avatar
    Poseidon mk6

+ 1 on the corrosion

if the unit is not that old I'd try and see what your local Poseidon Centre say about it.

Of its old you you may find there not interested. Most likely there is pitting under the coating you would need to clean that out and then fill the pits with an epoxy before blending it in with the rest of the surface so the o rings seal.

Dark, cold and wet.
    DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

You have crevice corrosion IMHO caused by salt water getting between the coating and aluminum almost certainly from the transition to the threads themselves. Its aggressive but mainly cosmetic and I know as I have an aluminum boat.

Normally AL/SS bolts are treated with something like tefgel but if its a breathing hose, that not going to work.

If it was mine, I would strip it down and have it repainted or anodized and any aluminum/stainless steel interface needs special attention. Doing nothing is not an option.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    You have crevice corrosion IMHO caused by salt water
    I had that once, too much ocean diving in the Florida heat. A cool water spray and then application of a topical cream like savlon helped tremendously.

RBW Member Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt's Avatar
    Poseidon mk6

You have crevice corrosion IMHO caused by salt water getting between the coating and aluminum almost certainly from the transition to the threads themselves. Its aggressive but mainly cosmetic and I know as I have an aluminum boat.

Normally AL/SS bolts are treated with something like tefgel but if its a breathing hose, that not going to work.

If it was mine, I would strip it down and have it repainted or anodized and any aluminum/stainless steel interface needs special attention. Doing nothing is not an option.
    I think this may be an issue for a few Discos Poseidon used SS helicoils for the threads in quite a few places on the scrubber case. But I think the issue that is being described is on the inside sealing face so unless the corrosion has gone all the way through the case it sounds localised. If its gone all the way through it could be a bigger problem.

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Diveratt  View Original Post
    I think this may be an issue for a few Discos Poseidon used SS helicoils for the threads in quite a few places on the scrubber case. But I think the issue that is being described is on the inside sealing face so unless the corrosion has gone all the way through the case it sounds localised. If its gone all the way through it could be a bigger problem.
    I don't think that it is all the way through, just a localised problem on the inside sealing face as you described. It's just a pain in the butt that it has happened right where the two o-rings seal against the inside of the can.

Dark, cold and wet.
    DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Diveratt  View Original Post
    I think this may be an issue for a few Discos Poseidon used SS helicoils for the threads in quite a few places on the scrubber case.
    This is one of the reasons why I have a Titanium rebreather. I still have to deal with Ti-SS interfaces but its not as bad as SS-Al.

RBW Member michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn's Avatar

This is one of the reasons why I have a Titanium rebreather. I still have to deal with Ti-SS interfaces but its not as bad as SS-Al.
    agreed.for you guys who put ss bolts into helicoils , they will corrode quickly , if you wrap your ss bolt threads in teflon tape first , they will not corrode trust me , ,placing anodes on your kit will alleviate many of the problems even between ss and ti , although it is less of a prob. i use titanium bolts on my titanium so have no issues with that
    mike

Dark, cold and wet.
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by michael hearn  View Original Post
    agreed.for you guys who put ss bolts into helicoils , they will corrode quickly , if you wrap your ss bolt threads in teflon tape first , they will not corrode trust me , ,placing anodes on your kit will alleviate many of the problems even between ss and ti...
    Check out Tefgel or its equivilent - Its purpose is mitigate issues with dissimilar metals Just to clarify, galvanic corrosion will jump start crevice corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hearn  View Original Post
    ... although it is less of a prob. i use titanium bolts on my titanium so have no issues with that
    mike
    Thanks... What is your source for Ti Bolts?
    Last edited by DwayneJ; 22nd July 2013 at 14:18.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast