+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting photography

RBW Member Bubblemaster is an unknown quantity at this point Bubblemaster's Avatar
    ISC Megalodon CE

Draeger dolphin, Inspiration

Starting photography

Hello,

i am planning on starting with photography using the CCR and can buy a second hand Canon 400d with ikelite housing and macro ports and wonder if that is a good idea or that I should start differently.

If anyone has any advice please let me know.

There is always a "maybe" CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT RMS

Inspiration

Starting photography

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblemaster  View Original Post
    Hello,

i am planning on starting with photography using the CCR and can buy a second hand Canon 400d with ikelite housing and macro ports and wonder if that is a good idea or that I should start differently.

If anyone has any advice please let me know.
    Ikelite housings are heavy and bulky so if you are traveling with your ccr prepare to carry quite a bit more...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Starting photography

I know others have had different experience, but my year with an Ikelite DSLR enclosure put me off photography for life.

I'd start with a smaller rig, maybe a canon G12 in a fix housing.

Move up from there as you hit limitations of the gear.

RBW Member Bubblemaster is an unknown quantity at this point Bubblemaster's Avatar
    ISC Megalodon CE

Thanks for the info i stick with my gopro

RBW Member general po is an unknown quantity at this point general po's Avatar
    JJ

KISS Classic

Go over to scubaboard photography forum for tons of info about camera setups.

A few of my friends have Ikelite housings and they are a bit bulky but they are also quite neutral underwater. They do seem to have a bit of trouble with strobe cables bending and leaking.

I did around 150 dives with an Olympus EPL3 in a Nauticam housing on open circuit before training on a rebreather. My first day out with both was last Saturday and it was a bit of a disaster, but I'm hoping I'll get back to the point where I'm comfortable with the camera soon.

My camera setup with 2 strobes, video light, housing, chargers etc weighs 7kg (if I stuff eneloops in my pockets) which is the limit for onboard on a plane out of where I live, so the rebreather will have to go in the hold. Who knows where I'll put clothes etc.

RBW Member Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt's Avatar
    Poseidon mk6

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblemaster  View Original Post
    Thanks for the info i stick with my gopro
    Thats not a bad idea, until I started diving with my rebreather I used an Oly EPL3 and twin Inon 240 strobes, great setup & photos. Since flying with the breather Ive gone back to the gopro a lot less weight for traveling. I'll go back to the EPL3 onday but not for a while.

The only thing I would do with the gipro is get the video screen for the back so you can see what your shooting and look at geting a magenta filter for green water at home and a red filter for blue water on holiday and your set.

ISC Megalodon CE

I will get the filters didn't think of those.

RBW Member Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver's Avatar

Wetpixel and digitaldiver also have some good forums for info.

RBW Member thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster's Avatar
    APD Evolution Vision

Personally I have the Olympus E-PL3... but if I was looking for a smaller (and easier) camera to play with, it would be the new Olympus XZ-2. I'm currently doing my instructor level INON course and these are what we using, and I have to say they pack a punch for the value/size - almost tempted to get one!

Main thinks to look for:

Manual White Balance (pref one touch button)
    Full Manual Mode
    Builtin Flash (which can be used in the housing)
    - with good Sync Speed (above 1/160)
    - if you are tempted by a strobe

Ignore 'underwater' modes - Manual White Balance is the key.

Don't go looking for a unit that will grow with you.... you will find the technology moves so fast, save the money and if needed in the future buy something new. Strobes... just buy one at a time...

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

I have a Nikon P7000, with two YS-02 (connected via fiber) which is kinda small. But then you go attach arms and strobes on it and it turns into a complete monster ;)

But it is quite okay to handle in the water and gets the job done. I am however aiming on getting a DSLR in the long run, when I have trained some more on shooting uw. Still a n00b at shooting uw.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast