+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebreather travel to Mexico

RBW Member rongoodman is an unknown quantity at this point rongoodman's Avatar
    Prism 2

Rebreather travel to Mexico

I have my Prism 2 and will be starting my initial training with Mark at Dive Gear Express in a week. Looking ahead, I'd like to do a cave cross over course once I get some hours on the unit. I know that I and others have had issues bringing primary lights back from Cancun in carry-on luggage. How do they react to rebreathers down there? I can just see arguing with some security guy at the airport about opening up sealed parts of the unit in order to get it on the plane home.
    Last edited by rongoodman; 5th July 2013 at 04:52.

RBW Member scubamoody is an unknown quantity at this point scubamoody's Avatar
    Cis Lunar Mk6

Rebreather travel to Mexico

I took my rebreather to Mexico and had no problems with the Mexican authorities, TSA officials (my flight connected via the US) on the other hand were so difficult they held me up for 30mins and I almost missed my flight. Of course after a week of diving it down there I didn't think it was worth the hassle and my subsequent trips have been oc. Hope that helps.

donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo's Avatar

Re: Rebreather travel to Mexico

I run a full service CCR shop in Cozumel, and we have CCR students and divers all the time, no problems bringing down your unit. Sofnolime is another matter however, some of our divers get it through Mexican customs without and problems, other have had it taken. If you elect to bring your own on-board tanks, remember to remove the valves before putting them in your luggage.

Check us out at deepexposuredivecenter.com

Don

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

No problem with the CCR but they tried to confiscate my Sofnalime under import duty laws. Fortunatly a nice seniour bloke let me off. I now take my lime out in bin liners instead of kegs to avoid the issue. No problem with this on my last trip.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt's Avatar
    Poseidon mk6

Quote Originally Posted by scubamoody  View Original Post
    I took my rebreather to Mexico and had no problems with the Mexican authorities, TSA officials (my flight connected via the US) on the other hand were so difficult they held me up for 30mins and I almost missed my flight. Of course after a week of diving it down there I didn't think it was worth the hassle and my subsequent trips have been oc. Hope that helps.
    You got off lightly over I was over an hour going through Guam on the way to Truk last year lucky there was a 4 hour wait for the connection

RBW Member joe d is an unknown quantity at this point joe d's Avatar

I guess I've been really fortunate. I've made over two dozen trips to Mexico and have never had an issue.

My meg is always in my carry on.

I'm cheap so I bring my tanks. I pack them with the values off, wrapped in plastic from the dry cleaners, with a copy of the TSA reg pertaining to the transporting of cylinders taped to each.

I always carry a full unopen keg with the MSDS sheet attached.

Like I said, I've never had an issue.

RBW Member rongoodman is an unknown quantity at this point rongoodman's Avatar
    Prism 2

Good to hear, thanks. I wonder why the lights have been a problem there?

+ Reply to Thread