+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

RBW Member Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery

Re: Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

Hello there!

I tried once to get some folks together for a bulk-buy, and thus evaluated the different grades to request two or three offers...

I've been looking at the hazards-sheet of medical-grade and diving-grade...
    And I have to admit, that from what I've read, I don't want the diving-grade in my lungs.
    But I want the medical-stuff even less...!
    Yep, it was either 15$ or 25$ per can, but "I'm really glad I saved those ten bucks for that lime-refill" said no-one ever who was lying in the hospital having his lungs treated after a caustic cocktail...

And on top, as Paul mentions, already on paper that stuff sometimes has 30% less capacity than the diving-grade, and that means actually less than 2 hours on a scrubber-fill instead of the rated 3 hours...

No thanks.

Cheers,
    Dany

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Danyboy  View Original Post
    And on top, as Paul mentions, already on paper that stuff sometimes has 30% less capacity than the diving-grade, and that means actually less than 2 hours on a scrubber-fill instead of the rated 3 hours...

Cheers,
    Dany
    not only 30% less.... I clearly wrote: non even 10% of what real rebreather sorb does!!!!!

we have 1 type of medical sorb on the marked, that when tested at the harsh CE conditions, will break throug in a rEvo in less then 10 minutes!!!!!!
    while under the same testing conditions, real good rebreather sorb nearly lasts 3 hours!!

you got the picture????
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Ok Paul, understood, I would like to notice we were talking about specific sorb and not the one that you indirectely mention... if I understood corectely.

But still would aprechiate if you could geave us more info about your findings, with brand names :). Mabe I am asking too much....

Sent from my PAP4500DUO using Tapatalk 2

RBW Member Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery

Wink Re: Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    not only 30% less.... I clearly wrote: non even 10% of what real rebreather sorb does!!!!!

we have 1 type of medical sorb on the marked, that when tested at the harsh CE conditions, will break throug in a rEvo in less then 10 minutes!!!!!!
    while under the same testing conditions, real good rebreather sorb nearly lasts 3 hours!!

you got the picture????
    Uh, excuse me, but I think I clearly wrote "on paper".
    That was already enough for me to "get the picture" at that time.
    By the wording, I get the impression that you're barking. Unfortunately it's up the wrong tree... ;)
    Let me state more clearly the picture that I've gotten back then:
    No thank you, nothing medical, only diving-grade sorb for me...

Cheers,
    Dany

RBW Member laszlomocsari is on a distinguished road laszlomocsari is on a distinguished road laszlomocsari's Avatar
    Megalodon 15

Vision Insp/Evo, home built

Hi all!
    I've used medical absorbent and got to do dips 5 hours ... But I do not recommend. Hypercapnia appears to be responsible for about 30% of deaths with rebreather and absorbent is strongly implicated in this. I got to test compared 5 types of absorbent available in Brazil, where I live, under controlled conditions in an anesthesia machine. The medical absorbers TESTED had a performance between 30 and 40% lower than those given for rebreather and as said Daniboy economy $ 15 to $ 25, (40%). From the financial point of view would change 6 per half dozen ... Not to mention, it be diving with a Russian roulette!
    There is no caustic absorbents used in anesthesia (because it does not react with Sevoflurane - volatile anesthetics), which are devoid of activators (KOH and / or NaOH). Activators accelerate the reaction with CO2 and give better performance absorbent . These absorbents are underperforming.

*I was surprised to know that a tampon could last no more than 10% of the recommended!

Although the chemical formula presented in many absorbent label to be equal to their performance may be too difrerente. Physical aspects such as the grain size and porosity also influence performance. The water content is very similar between them. Usually the quality of the raw material used in high-performance is superior.

László

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by laszlomocsari  View Original Post
    Hi all!
    I've used medical absorbent and got to do dips 5 hours ... But I do not recommend. Hypercapnia appears to be responsible for about 30% of deaths with rebreather and absorbent is strongly implicated in this. I got to test compared 5 types of absorbent available in Brazil, where I live, under controlled conditions in an anesthesia machine. The medical absorbers TESTED had a performance between 30 and 40% lower than those given for rebreather and as said Daniboy economy $ 15 to $ 25, (40%). From the financial point of view would change 6 per half dozen ... Not to mention, it be diving with a Russian roulette!
    ...László
    Hi Laszlo, good to hear you again!

the bigger difference between good and bad sorb is when you test them to more severe conditions: in the breathing machine testing according to CE standards, we do the test at 5 bar (40m), (anesthesia machine = 1 bar), at 4°C in water (anesthesia machine??) and at 1.6l/m STPD

these 3 factors show the huge difference between medical sorb and diving grade sord

warm regards, and see you at DEMA!

Paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Laszlo thank you for your coments. Same to you Paul.
    So comon conclusion is:

don't use medical grade sorb for rebreather diving.

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Quote Originally Posted by Igor P  View Original Post
    Anyone used this for diving?

I have used Sodasorb 4-8 grade that was used by the USN in the O2 rebreathers...

I have used for up to 4 hours in a 3 kg axial scrubber warm water 22-26 degrees C with air dil and trimix dil to a max depth of 100m..

all with no issues...

Rod

Cave Country Dive Shop Jim Wyatt is an unknown quantity at this point Jim Wyatt's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Igor P  View Original Post
    So comon conclusion is:
    don't use medical grade sorb for rebreather diving.
    That is the conclusion I came to a few years ago.

TR300c (mCCR)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt  View Original Post
    That is the conclusion I came to a few years ago.