+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

Quote Originally Posted by Igor P  View Original Post
    Which one did you use?

Sent from my PAP4500DUO using Tapatalk 2
    It was some 4-8 mesh in a pale blue can. I got it in Mexico and it was sooo much cheaper than sofnolime.

The writing was in Spanish and I don't recall the brand but the cab driver said it was good sheeet
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    It was some 4-8 mesh in a pale blue can. I got it in Mexico and it was sooo much cheaper than sofnolime.

The writing was in Spanish and I don't recall the brand but the cab driver said it was good sheeet
    You are a very brave man.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    You are a very brave man.
    Sometimes the line between brave and stupid gets a little blurry
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member batfish_de is an unknown quantity at this point batfish_de's Avatar

Hi Igor,
    better you will use sofno - cause your live should it be worth.
    regards

One Breath From Death testuser is an unknown quantity at this point testuser's Avatar
    Home built

From my class: the medical grade sorb has significantly less trapped water. Hospitals climate control systems add humidity to the air constantly to keep it at a functional level. If I remember correctly, the diving grade stuff has a lot (25%?) more water. Since the scrubbing reaction happens at the aqueous layer, the amount of trapped water really matters.

One time, I accidentally forgot and left my RB in the car in the sun and it dried out otherwise fresh sorb. On the next dive I had a CO2 hit, but not until my workrate spiked. I bailed out and survived. Afterwards I took the unit back to the hotel and went for a couch dive. 20 minutes sitting around on the loop, no problem. 2 minutes doing squats laid me out flat.

The moral of the story is, use diving grade sorb, and don't let it dry out. Also when in doubt bail out. ;)

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Hi testuser, Grace medical grade sorb has normaly the same moisture prrcentage as diving grade - mean standard medical grade sorb, but the LF - low flow medical grade sorb is the dryer sorb. So away from LF or LoFlo sorb..... this is explanation from Grace.....

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

I missed it, but did anyone get a definitive statement on the difference between the HP an the normal Sodasorb (not the LF stuff). The label says it is the same moisture.

In perspective, I dive in warm water, and use the HP to manufacturers standard recommendations in my units, use 797 longer, and have old bits and bobs of half used tubs I use for the pool. I'm wondering where straightforward Sodasorb would fit in this.

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Re: Re: Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w  View Original Post
    I missed it, but did anyone get a definitive statement on the difference between the HP an the normal Sodasorb (not the LF stuff). The label says it is the same moisture.

In perspective, I dive in warm water, and use the HP to manufacturers standard recommendations in my units, use 797 longer, and have old bits and bobs of half used tubs I use for the pool. I'm wondering where straightforward Sodasorb would fit in this.
    Well the supplyer here in Slovenia
    Is stating HP and standard medical grade sodasorb are the same, with just dust contents being difference. HP has more dust.
    Mabe it would be the best to write to Grace...

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Igor P  View Original Post
    Well the supplyer here in Slovenia
    Is stating HP and standard medical grade sodasorb are the same, with just dust contents being difference. HP has more dust.
    Mabe it would be the best to write to Grace...

to all,

maybe a bit harsh, but I don't get this:

people died when diving medical grade sorb!

and w're having a whole discussion on whether or not using it?

only use the recommended sorb by the manufacturer!

paul

ps: and if you still don't believe it: we tested different sorbs: there is HUGE difference between real rebreather sorb, and medical sorb: in some cases the durations for medical are not even 10% of real rebreather sorb, when tested in cold water, at CE conditions!
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

TR300c (mCCR)

Re: Re: Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    to all,

maybe a bit harsh, but I don't get this:

people died when diving medical grade sorb!

and w're having a whole discussion on whether or not using it?

only use the recommended sorb by the manufacturer!

paul

ps: and if you still don't believe it: we tested different sorbs: there is HUGE difference between real rebreather sorb, and medical sorb: in some cases the durations for medical are not even 10% of real rebreather sorb, when tested in cold water, at CE conditions!
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your koments. Sure you have more data than we do, so I belive you.
    On the other hand statements from sorb producers are somewhat different so the discusion was expected. My goal was to involve someone that knows more than we do and get some real data....
    So can you please share your findings with us?